It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wanted DVD Converter For WM Player!! FREE!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'm aware that one has to pay for even the air one breathes! But is there any FREE software on this planet to allow playing my DVDs on Windows Media Player 9?

There are a few downloadable 'players' like VLC through which one can play DVDs. But there's nothing to beat the sound quality of the WM Player. So that's why I want to listen to my favourite DVDs on this format.

In short, is there any free converter available in this world that I can download to get my DVDs playing through Windows Media Player 9?

Cheers!

P.S. Why do I want it free? Because I don't buy anything on-line. Too dicy. Been ripped off once. And this software isn't available in my part of town! So.....

[edit on 13-6-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I think that if you get any of the free DVD players out there, you should be able to play DVD's on MediaPlayer, as well.

It's the codecs that the DVD player installs that makes it possible to view DVD's with Media Player.

You could at least try that route.

edit to add----------------

Unless of course you are talking about converting a DVD to Windows Media format, That would be altogether different.

[edit on 6/13/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

Unless of course you are talking about converting a DVD to Windows Media format, That would be altogether different.

Yeah Mech! You hit the nail on the head!! I want to play my DVDs in Windows Media Player. Is there any software I can download to convert the DVDs to this format?
Thanx!

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikesingh

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

Yeah Mech! You hit the nail on the head!! I want to play my DVDs in Windows Media Player. Is there any software I can download to convert the DVDs to this format?

Not really sure about that. Have you done a GOOGLE search, or gone to any of the many "Freeware" sites, such as www.download.com?

[edit on 6/13/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Why do you think your DVDs will sound better played through Windows Media? If you've done that before, why don't you continue to do the same thing?

I'm a bit confused here....any program should play the DVD in basically the same way (at least as quality is concerned) I would think. At least that's my experience, but then of course I spend most of my time in Mac OS X.

[edit on 6/13/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Why do you think your DVDs will sound better played through Windows Media? If you've done that before, why don't you continue to do the same thing?

Oh boy! The codecs in Windows Media Player are such that it sounds miles ahead of the competition! I tried playing the same VCDs on other players, but found that the WMP is by far the best where sound quality is concerned.

But, as you know that most DVD players on computers can't play DVD movies unless the manufacturer has bundled the conversion software for it. My Sony DVD drive doesn't have this software and so I have to depend on 3rd party players like VLC or Windows Media Classic which have this software/codecs for playing the DVDs.

But unfortunately, these codecs/software is not bundled with Windows Media Player 9 or 10. So one can't play DVDs on this. But I believe one can download this from the net for a price!

Heck! Wonder why Microsoft hasn't included this in their Media Player? They love screwing our happiness I guess!

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Oh boy! The codecs in Windows Media Player are such that it sounds miles ahead of the competition! I tried playing the same VCDs on other players, but found that the WMP is by far the best where sound quality is concerned.

But, as you know that most DVD players on computers can't play DVD movies unless the manufacturer has bundled the conversion software for it. My Sony DVD drive doesn't have this software and so I have to depend on 3rd party players like VLC or Windows Media Classic which have this software/codecs for playing the DVDs.

But unfortunately, these codecs/software is not bundled with Windows Media Player 9 or 10. So one can't play DVDs on this. But I believe one can download this from the net for a price!

Heck! Wonder why Microsoft hasn't included this in their Media Player? They love screwing our happiness I guess!

Cheers!

I'm confused DVD or VCD? You mention playing VCDs on other players and then revert back to DVD?

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by iCEdTenG
I'm confused DVD or VCD? You mention playing VCDs on other players and then revert back to DVD?

What I meant was that when I play the usual Video CDs on Windows Media Player 9 and compare it to the sound quality with VLC, Media Player Classic and other players, I find that the sound quality of Windows Media Player 9 is miles ahead.

So that's why I want to play my DVDs on Windows Media Player 9 because of the superior sound quality, but I CAN'T as it does not recognize the media. So per force I have to use the VLC player or Media Player Classic for seeing the DVDs where the sound quality is zilch!

In order to sort out this problem of being unable to play DVDs on Windows Media Player 9, there is downloadable software available which has the codecs to allow Windows Media Player 9 to play DVDs. But this is for a price. $ 20 or so. But what I want to know is whether there is a free download available as I don't buy anything on-line for fear of being ripped off again by hackers who manage to get your credit card details in a jiffy!!

Hope it's clearer now! Cheers!

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   

From one of your previous posts here. Which sounds as if you want to convert from DVD to .WMV format.

But in your last post, it says you only want to be able to play DVD's on Windows Media Player.

Hope it's clearer now! Cheers!

Not really, see above.

I'm quite sure there is a free DVD player somewhere. Have you done a GOOGLE search? Once you install any DVD player, Windows Media Player should be able to use those codecs to play DVD's as well. Even if you only have a freeware DVD player.

Are you saying that you have a DVD player installed but still cannot play DVD's on Windows Media Player?

If you don't here's a link with a couple freeware (and several shareware) DVD players, from tucows downloads...

www.tucows.com...

try one of those, to see if they install codecs that are compatible with Windows Media Player........

3 cents more

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Sent you a message Mike on how to do it. I do it the opposiite way... to get my DivX and AVI files into DVD format to burn onto a DVD. Works great!

P.S. I didn't want to post it here because I'm not sure if it's really that legal.

top topics

join