It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What drives a Hero??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
OK, I was watching the excellent movie Superman Returns, and for somereason felt a question rise up in me...what drives a superhero?

I liked what Bryan Singer did to the Superman movie because he gave me a new childhood love for comics again. I mean when you see Superman taking that landmass out of earths atmospheare, even though the kryptonite is jabbing into him was amazing. It was that extra push, determined to save the planet no matter what the cost. In a way it reminded me of the time he died by the hands of Doomsday in the comics.

I know it seems like I am just using Superman, but even if you look at heroes like Captain America, who is now dead in the comics which I don't understand...I mean he lasted through how many wars? and he gets assinated?...Anyways back on topic, Flash, Iron Man, Spider-Man, and others.

I personally believe that what drives a superhero is the unconditional love tfor either the people, or the planet in general. Its that " I would lay my life down for these people, or, earth " love.

I was just wondering what you people thought drives a superhero?

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Lot's of things can drive a superhero.
You can even say anything can drive a superhero. Bottom line is you need superpowers and ultimately use them for good.

The main examples you used were Superman and Captain America.

Superman's drive is his sence of purpose. He was sent to Earth not only to be a survivor of Krypon's destruction, but also to lead the human race as a good example.

Cap's drive is his sence of duty. All he ever wanted to do was serve his country.

Not all drives are honorable. Some superheroes may be driven by fame or ego.

Spider-Man's drive at one time would be guilt.

Iron Man's drive would be to give back to the world that has given so much to him.

Batman's drive is revenge. His is a never ending revenge against criminals. The Punisher is the same.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Ok if Punisher has in a sense the same drive that drives Batman what drive does Daredevil have would it not be the same as well.

And the only reason I brought up just Superman and Captain America was because I just watched the movie and I was thinking about Cap. For some reason even though I was big into comics as a kid I was having a brain fart and could not think of any others.

And what drives Ghost Rider is revenge as well. I notice a lot of revenge filled characters.

But it is true anything can drive a super hero, for instance im sure beer would drive Wolverine in some cases or even Nightcrawler. And Quicksilver isn't he at one point mad at his father? so hatred would have been his drive at one point. what is Gambit's drive?

And heres is a question a little off topic, does anyone know why Marvel had to kill off Captain America in the comics??

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Ultimately I suppose the "drive" of ALL superheros comes from their authors.

A wish to convey to people that bad guys never win and that even the worst tragedies, accidents and grief can bring forth unexpected powers and determination in individuals that can prove "all powerful" and "save the day".

They just wanted to let us all know there's a little bit of "hero" in all of us perhaps.

Up, up and awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

SR

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by followerofchrist
Ok if Punisher has in a sense the same drive that drives Batman what drive does Daredevil have would it not be the same as well.

And the only reason I brought up just Superman and Captain America was because I just watched the movie and I was thinking about Cap. For some reason even though I was big into comics as a kid I was having a brain fart and could not think of any others.

And what drives Ghost Rider is revenge as well. I notice a lot of revenge filled characters.

But it is true anything can drive a super hero, for instance im sure beer would drive Wolverine in some cases or even Nightcrawler. And Quicksilver isn't he at one point mad at his father? so hatred would have been his drive at one point. what is Gambit's drive?

And heres is a question a little off topic, does anyone know why Marvel had to kill off Captain America in the comics??

Quicksilver and Gambit's drives used to be redemption. Wolverine started off as in search of identity and purpose Nightcrawler also but to a lesser degree of identity he wanted to do more than be in a circus.

They had to kill Cap off because the way they set the story arc 'Civil War' up meant he was never going to win seeing he was the 'terrorist' that went against the government for what he believed in and we can't have them 'evil' people that go against the government winning now can we...What kind of message does that give the kids He'll be back soon though...I liked the crying thing about him being the last representation of liberty etc. at the end of the comic but his death was still cheap as they come.

[edit on 14-6-2007 by SR]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yeah I would say so that is like when they killed off Superman ( now granted it was a bad event ) but come on, if nothing can puncture his skin why was Doomsdays bones able to do just that? Some of the deaths though in the comic world seem to be portrayed poorly.

As far as Wolverine goes, I knew he was at a point searching for his identity. He is still one of my favorite mutants in Marvel. Off topic I liked the Origins comic that was about him. Have you read that one?

Well yeah, the authors have a big role of what they are trying to portray through the heros, I just don't like it when new writers come in and change things dramatically.

Here's some old one's, what was the Iron Fists and Powermans drive?

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Here's some old one's, what was the Iron Fists and Powermans drive?

Iron Fist has some elements of guilt and revenge. There is also a legasy behind Iron Fist he is the sixty-sixth Iron Fist.

Luke Cage' original drive was money. He was given powers and decided to sell them as a Hero for Hire. He was even once hired by J. Johna Jameson to capture Spider-Man.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Oh yeah I completly forgot about Luke. For some reason though I did not know that about Iron Fist though, I should have since I did have some of his comics.

Off topic, what are some of your favorite comics?

mine were, Ghost rider ( midnight sons era ), Spider-man ( all ), Wolverine, X-men, and the first age of apocalypse era in marvel.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Off topic, what are some of your favorite comics?

Right now I'm regularly buying Astonishing X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Mighty Avengers, and Punisher War Journal.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Wow, it seems I have been out of the comic craze for a long time. What are the current stories for those comics?

Hey I have a question for you have you or anyone on here heard of a comic " The fall of Lucifer? " or the brotherhood? it is a series of books by Wendy Alec and I heard somewhere they were turning them into comics and I have not been able to find anything about them I was wondering if you could help me.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Wow, it seems I have been out of the comic craze for a long time. What are the current stories for those comics?

I think there is way too much info for me to get into on a forum. I find that Wikipedia is a good resource to catch up on characters. www.wikipedia.org...
Just enter a character name into their search engine.

Right now Spider-Man is going through a dark stage because his Aunt May has been shot and dieing in the hospital, His identity is now public and he is wanted by the law so he can't even see her at the hospital. There is a lot of emotion in the story. I highly recommend it.

As for the Wendy Alec books I have no idea. Maybe Wikipedia will have some info for you.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thank you Umbrax, I will check it out. I don't usually like wikipedia though as so many people can edit it you know? but I will never the less.

I really like comics that are filled to the brim with emothion because you get to see depth in a usually one-dimensional character. Though as far as Spidey goes, his aunt is always on the brink of either dieing or, being abducted, or something. I am amazed though there was a story line I heard aout spider-man retiring because of a broken leg or something what is up with that? but of course that ws a couple of years ago.

Have you read any of the digital comics? I was wondering if anyone has if they are good or not.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Those digital comics are just copies of real books.

Wikipedia is great for comic info. They do a really good job.

Not sure what you heard about Spidey, retiring over a broken leg seem silly to me.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It was in a Wizard magazine a couple of years ago. It was around the time we learned that the clone had been living hear for all this time and the real spidey had been in space. I however did not like that at all and from then I havent really kept up on comics.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Not sure what you heard about Spidey, retiring over a broken leg seem silly to me.

It's not mainstream 616 universe. It is the basis of the Spider-Girl universe. In that timeline baby May Parker was never abducted and grew up to fill her fathers shoes. He retired and gimps around on a cane. There are some 100 issues of Spider-Girl so the universe is pretty fleshed out (although not to the point of current 616 obviously). I think it was one of those moves to draw in a younger audience, and also the brain child baby of one of the big Spidey editors of the 90s.

Aparently it had quite a following and survived cancelation on fan response at least once.

SR

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by whargoul

Originally posted by Umbrax

It's not mainstream 616 universe. It is the basis of the Spider-Girl universe. In that timeline baby May Parker was never abducted and grew up to fill her fathers shoes. He retired and gimps around on a cane. There are some 100 issues of Spider-Girl so the universe is pretty fleshed out (although not to the point of current 616 obviously). I think it was one of those moves to draw in a younger audience, and also the brain child baby of one of the big Spidey editors of the 90s.

Aparently it had quite a following and survived cancelation on fan response at least once.

Damn beat me to it!!! I have to admit i'm a Spider Girl comic reader LOL it's amazing seriously i would recommend it but it's a really cool non-canon continuation and has all the old favourites like venom and green goblin revamped but everyones a teenager so you'ge got May worrying about dating boys while fighting her friend he happens to be GG now crazy stuff but there something about it that makes it cool and appeals to the readers.

It like captures the coolness of when Peter was a teenager and starting out as a hero but puts a good few twist's on it.

Anyway i'll
now for being a Spider-Girl fanboy

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
That is it! I couldn't remember what they were talking about but I knew I seen that thing about Peter retiring.

What do you think about the old comic characters as opposed to the modernized ones? I mean I think they are starting to grow on me but, I am more of a fan of the older ones.

top topics

join