It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purpose of the Rant foum??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
So I'm really pissed about a certian thread that I have read...The only reason why i read the thread is because I was made aware of it by a certian member before they were banned :shk: Now of course mods have their own reasons for banning people and I'm sure someone will say that I dont know the whole story so I will just react/comment on the facts that i know..So what is the purpose of a rant forum if they..

are not meant to be used as personal diaries or stream of consciousness

stream of consciouness is a person point of view with regards to their reaction to external events. One would think that a rant is just someone's negative view with regards to an event. It even says that the purpose of this thread is to discuss a topic that really infuriates you. So does that mean that if someone speaks on something non-conspiracy related or on a topic that someone else doesnt like or topic thatthey would not personally delve into ...that the post is wrong. I just want to know what the difference between stream of conscious and a rant is? And what this rant board is for?

--> I'd like to add that I am not trying to disrespect anyone but when I see something that personally view as wrong I will speak on it.Like I said I dont know the details but the above quote infuriated and confused me.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I know which thread you are talking about, i did think to myself that it was getting a little out of hand. Sorry.
Some of the language/descriptions may have been pushing the boundaries, there are young members on ATS.
That said, i was surprised that the poster was banned as it seemed that the OP may have been given more of an opportunity to rein it in.
But i also do not know what efforts were made behind the scenes to achieve a fair outcome.
ImpliedChaos, did you think that the rant was well within the T&C?

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
If this is referring to what I think it is, and I believe it is, there is much that doesn't meet the eye. And now it is time to remember that we do not talked of banned members on the board.

To speak of your rant, the rant forum itself is here to blow off a little steam in a "discussion" format. This is not a blog where we are permitted to post, post, post, post, etc., hundreds of times in a row. If we are looking for a diary of our thoughts, one should purchase a blog. If one wishes to discuss something, then ATS is the place to be.

There is a very large difference between a blog and a discussion board.

I speak here as an individual and a member. Not a member of the staff, or a voice of Above Top Secret itself. My personal thoughts are that no member should post more than once or twice consecutively. A recent thread that comes to mind, I had counted over thirty posts in a row by one member. That is expected on a blog, not a discussion board.

Originally posted by William
This forum is for members to engage in heated tirades about topics that really infuriate them. It is not intended to be a place to complain or attack other members. Normal ATS/BTS terms of service rules still apply.

Attacks on other members will be removed.

If this forum is abused, it will be removed.

READ: RANT FORUM

The staff have been very lenient lately with permitting complaints in the Rant forum. We try hard not to infringe on the privileges of our members, and we try hard to provide them ample opportunity to express their thoughts and concerns.

But there are times when we need to intervene, and I'd like to think we've earned the benefit of the doubt.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I'm not one for sitting on the fence, so this is my take on the Rant forum.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Also my dictionary says

rant |rant| verb [ intrans. ] speak or shout at length in a wild, impassioned way : she was still ranting on about the unfairness of it all.

Quite apt I feel. That it could be taken both ways: I suppose!

TBH: The tittled attack of another member is pretty much always going to far. It's when people reach that level of righteous indignation, that an arguement is on it's way down the slippery slope to name calling and beat downs. And no one wants to go there

Nuff said!

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I agree with the banning. She was asked to stop and to take it to a blog, which ATS would supply and she refused.

Remember, we're guests here and we are to follow the rules.

bottom line.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
This rant is not to discuss a banned member. This rant is to discuss the format of the rant forum. Our discussion should be restricted to what is, and is not, tolerable in the rant forum.

Any further discussion of a banned member may result in the closure of this thread.

(Please, Please.. don't have us do that)

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Yes this was a disturbing situation and I have a lot of compassion for the banned member, as well as for the staff members who were put in a situation that could have only one outcome.

A forum is a place for discussion. Make a point and wait for reply, if any. You want to add to your post, edit it. I see much leeway given every day, but sometimes things get out of hand.

There's a viable alternative. Purchase a blog (with POINTS fer cryin' out loud. Not like you have to spend $$ or anything). Then post away to your heart's content.

If you're going to play in someone else's sandbox, you need to follow the rules. If there's a "no throwing sand" rule and you continually disregard it, even when repeatedly asked to refrain, especially when you've been shown the "designated sand throwing area" designed exclusively for such a purpose, well then... Bummer.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:06 AM
link   

And what this rant board is for?

Something bothering you? Something annoying you? Need to get something out it the open? Post it in this forum and other members who feel the same way will post, and hopefully you'll feel a little bit better about it.

Thats what this forum is for.

Right?

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
And now it is time to remember that we do not talked of banned members on the board.

How do you explain the public banning then on ATS?

I guess based on my rant its not allowed to be about mod decisions either

www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 15-6-2007 by junglelord]

top topics

join