It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remote image linking no longer allowed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Another recently discovered bandwidth strain on our server has been the use of remote image linking to images that members have either uploaded, or other images within the site. We are no longer allowed remote linking, from other websites, to the images in the member uploads directory. Sorry... but this was getting out of hand (one image had nearly 8 gigabytes of bandwidth last month)... and the entire directory slightly over 10 gigabytes of non ATS/BTS/ATSNN access! But don't worry, your uploaded images work fine here on ATS, ATSNN, and BTS. If you've referenced images in the UPLOADS directory on other website, unfortunately, you'll now see this: [Edited on 7-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Sorry... but this was getting out of hand (one image had nearly 8 gigabytes of bandwidth last month)... and the entire directory slightly over 10 gigabytes of non ATS/BTS/ATSNN access!

8 GIGS OF BANDWIDTH ON ONE IMAGE????
My god, I didn't think that NUDE pic of ADVISOR would be so popular!

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
LOL @ Intelgurl!!!

8 Gigs?!?! Damn... Remote linking shouldn't have been allowed anyway, IMO, I mean, I always thought the webspace gived here was to use only on ATS. Good thing you checked that.

There's lot of other way to host images if you want to use them all around the web anyway.

www.uploadit.org... is one example.

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Yep, I use that one....

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Ya, I know, it's because of you I got to know it, so thanks if I never thanked you for it. I used mig uploader (wich I also got to know cuz of you
) before but it seems it stopped working, or at least, the remote linking doesn't seem to work anymore.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
how do i put pics in my post then?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
No... the issue is linking to images in your UPLOADS from outside the three ATS domains. You can link to images in the UPLOADS directory as you've always been able too... and than won't change.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kurtcobainuk
how do i put pics in my post then?

You won't be affected here on ATS kurtcobainuk, just carry on as normal.

[edit - sorry, SkepticOverlord was quicker off the mark
]

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by UniversalFiction]

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
That'll shut down a couple websites I know... heh heh...

PEACE...
m...

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
How is it possible to for one picture to use 8 GB??

You said we have around 700GB a month and only use around 150GB a month. Why would 8 GB matter???

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza

You said we have around 700GB a month and only use around 150GB a month. Why would 8 GB matter???

If an image is being downloaded from the ATS server over and over as each visitor to the other site views it or the page it's on, that really adds up!!

I don't think it's the amount of bandwidth, it's the fact they're doing it at all, obviously without permission.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
ilovepizza

it's still wasted bandwidth, as the bandwidth was used because of images, linked from OTHERS websites.

ATS is not a public depository for people's image to be used and linked any way they like...Use common sense.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ilovepizza

8GB was for one image ILP well thats what i read in this thread,you have to add up all the other images aswell me thinks..

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
oh come on, i can understand bandwidth issues and where you guys are coming from, but WTF. i mean seriously consider how this is going to impact those of us who had counted on ats for some meanial upload space, not to mention free. that was a great thing, and now what? not everyone has personal upload space on their isp/what have you, and now even ats is going the OMG NO OUTSIDE LINKS KTHNXHAHAPWNED route. there goes one good reliable upload service, 80% down the drain.

(dont take this the wrong way please, i just think its a bad idea(tm) )

cant we find a better compromise? limit the amount of outside bandwidth any given user has per week/month etc?

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer there goes one good reliable upload service, 80% down the drain.
It was always only intended for use within ATS. The Upload Center reads: "Members can upload JPG, GIF, TXT, and PDF files for use on ATS/BTS that do not exceed 100 kilobytes." I wasn't paying attention because I was trusting our members. But there was reason to take a look today, and something uploaded a long time ago had over 125,000 hits in December... and the member that uploaded it isn't even active any more. Since I'd rather not spend the effort to see if this is happening again, I ended external linking... which was never the intent.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
its possible to upload my avatar image to the site right? I think this is referenced on a turorial string earlier...

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I think this is a good idea. Folks who post alot of pics should get a free web site and post links to their pics instead of putting them in the post.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
it doesnt work like that groingrinder. sorry. try again.

tripod doesnt allow linking.... geocities doesnt allow linking... xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
it doesnt work like that groingrinder. sorry. try again.

tripod doesnt allow linking.... geocities doesnt allow linking... xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

try here: www.1and1.com.... they had a pretty spiffy free deal going on, and probably still do. haven't looked in a while.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
oh come on, i can understand bandwidth issues and where you guys are coming from, but WTF. i mean seriously consider how this is going to impact those of us who had counted on ats for some meanial upload space, not to mention free. that was a great thing, and now what? not everyone has personal upload space on their isp/what have you, and now even ats is going the OMG NO OUTSIDE LINKS KTHNXHAHAPWNED route. there goes one good reliable upload service, 80% down the drain.

(dont take this the wrong way please, i just think its a bad idea(tm) )

cant we find a better compromise? limit the amount of outside bandwidth any given user has per week/month etc?

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by forsakenwayfarer]
Find another place to store your stuff for reference that is not the purpose of ATS, and I think you should be grateful they have that option at all.
There are tons of places online that allow you to upload and offsite link.. Try www.tripod.lycos.co.uk...
Note that the non uk sites do NOT allow it.. only the uk site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join