It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

any truth to military creating hurricanes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
i was watching the history channel a while ago, a documentary on vietnam and how we used a chemical that drew rain to certain areas to flood them, and the U.N. banned using weather manipulation in war, but i also heard that the military is trying to find a way to create hurricanes. do you any of you know anything about this?

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I don't know, but if Haarp is any indication I'm sure that it's possible. I wouldn't put it past them, war is war, and the battles are fought on many different fronts. That was 40 years ago, I can only imagine what they have now...

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Not only is it possible, there is a Russian company that sells equipment and offers a service for the purpose.
Elate Intelligent Technologies, Inc

Relevant Article

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by acegotflows
I don't know, but if Haarp is any indication I'm sure that it's possible. I wouldn't put it past them, war is war, and the battles are fought on many different fronts. That was 40 years ago, I can only imagine what they have now...

well HAARP is copy of soviet Sura ionospheric station

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I don't believe it. All attempts at either making it rain or snow have failed dismally. Hurricanes are extremely complex systems and the odds are I would think that if we could do it, we would overshoot and create a monster storm that would make Katrina look like a tempest in a teapot. Also given the dramatic impact on the economy droughts have, do you really think that they would let the droughts in the west go on for 10 years if they could do something about it? NO!

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Cloud seeding as used in Vietnam is a widespread practice in many countries - including the USA and Australia.

The firms selling their services claim results, many meteorologists are more sceptical.

It's a long way from that to deliberately causing a hurricane to form or controlling it's movement - the first involving not just sea temperature but also things like wind shear, whilst the later would involve changing the pressure of the atmosphere.

Some claim HAARP can do this. Other's point out the complete lack of any research from meteorologists or atmospheric scientists and wonder how the military know so much more than the supposed experts.

The FAQ page on the AOML website includes a section on 'Tropical Cyclone Modification and Myths' with contributions from Chris Landsea - who probably knows as much as anyone (except the military
)

[edit on 14-6-2007 by Essan]

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
let me present the following question: when has the military ever looked out for anyone other than themselves? and the chemical was used in vietnam to create rain. but it drew moisture from elsewhere and caused really bad chemical rains and didnt stop for a while. it would prove too disasterous to try to use on our own country.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I don't believe it. All attempts at either making it rain or snow have failed dismally. Hurricanes are extremely complex systems and the odds are I would think that if we could do it, we would overshoot and create a monster storm that would make Katrina look like a tempest in a teapot. Also given the dramatic impact on the economy droughts have, do you really think that they would let the droughts in the west go on for 10 years if they could do something about it? NO!

True, but do you think that if they had this secret technology (that they didn't want people to know about) they would be letting us all know about it? Also ,can you please post some links that include these failed weather modifcation attempts you speak of?

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
as far as I know the only one that actually works is cloud seeding but there has to be moisture in the upper atmosphere in the first place for it to have a chance.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by vK_man

Says who?

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo

Says who?

some loony russian conspiracy theorists like Votronin ,Ivan Krutov etc.. Tom bearden and some american weatherman who once claimed that Russia created katrina ...
officially , HAARP is similiar to Sura which was commissioned in 1981 ,and HAARP which was commissioned in 1993

The Sura Ionospheric Heating Facility, located near the small town of Vasilsursk about 100 km eastward from Nizhniy Novgorod in Russia, is a laboratory for ionosphere research. The American HAARP ionospheric heater is similar to Sura facility .Sura is capable of radiating about 190 MW, effective radiated power (ERP) on short waves. This facility is operated by the radiophysical research institute NIRFI in Nizhny Novgorod.The Sura facility was commissioned in 1981. Using this facility, russian researchers achieved extremely interesting results regarding the ionosphere behavior and discovered the effect of generation of low-frequency emission at the modulation of ionosphere current[1]. At the beginning, Soviet Defense Department mostly footed the bill .The american HAARP was started in 1993
en.wikipedia.org...

The(HAARP) program is a follow up on various Soviet facilities (1GW in Niir (Dushanbe), Sura (400MW), Gorkiy (20MW)
beyond-the-illusion.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole

True, but do you think that if they had this secret technology (that they didn't want people to know about) they would be letting us all know about it? Also ,can you please post some links that include these failed weather modifcation attempts you speak of?

So the fact that the Military doesn't admit to having some secret technology, is proof that they do? If the Military the capability to control the weather, don't you think that they'd make sure that the weather was always to their advantage(i.e. there'd never be clouds obscuring targets from bombing missions) and always to an opponent's disadvantage?
What are they saving this capability for, if they've got it already?

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Says who?

some loony russian conspiracy theorists like Votronin ,Ivan Krutov etc.. Tom bearden and some american weatherman who once claimed that Russia created katrina ...
officially , HAARP is similiar to Sura which was commissioned in 1981 ,and HAARP which was commissioned in 1993

The Sura Ionospheric Heating Facility, located near the small town of Vasilsursk about 100 km eastward from Nizhniy Novgorod in Russia, is a laboratory for ionosphere research. The American HAARP ionospheric heater is similar to Sura facility .Sura is capable of radiating about 190 MW, effective radiated power (ERP) on short waves. This facility is operated by the radiophysical research institute NIRFI in Nizhny Novgorod.The Sura facility was commissioned in 1981. Using this facility, russian researchers achieved extremely interesting results regarding the ionosphere behavior and discovered the effect of generation of low-frequency emission at the modulation of ionosphere current[1]. At the beginning, Soviet Defense Department mostly footed the bill .The american HAARP was started in 1993
en.wikipedia.org...

The(HAARP) program is a follow up on various Soviet facilities (1GW in Niir (Dushanbe), Sura (400MW), Gorkiy (20MW)

im not convinced...and dont know how or why you are so easily manipulated into believeing any and everything you read on wiki. HAARP was more then likely up and running before 93.. thats just when it became "known" to the public. More then likely the russians found out the americans were working on such a device through there espionage ring. Russia always lacked the brain power as they did the funds unlike the americans. and i wouldnt put much past a bunch of soviet era ruskies who were well known through out all the cold war for making basless claims that held no water. It smells of soviet era propaganda to me.

posted on Jun, 20 2007 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole

So the fact that the Military doesn't admit to having some secret technology, is proof that they do? If the Military the capability to control the weather, don't you think that they'd make sure that the weather was always to their advantage(i.e. there'd never be clouds obscuring targets from bombing missions) and always to an opponent's disadvantage?
What are they saving this capability for, if they've got it already?

Im with you on this... Ive always been very skeptical of these claims. HAARP does exist.. And I believe that the US airforce actually does have plans to control the weather by 2025-2030. So to me they are definatly working on such a device now if they have plans of making it operational by that time frame. However I do not believe we are close to controling the weather as some here are. I just dont think the technology is there yet as well as the understanding of it all.

U.S. Military Wants to Own the Weather
www.space.com...

And from ATS
WEATHER AS A FORCE MULTIPLIER: OWNING THE WEATHER IN 2025
MILITARY APPLICATIONS OF WEATHER MODIFICATION
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 073030p://3706pm by semperfoo]

posted on Jun, 21 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Says who?

en.wikipedia.org...

im not convinced...and dont know how or why you are so easily manipulated into believeing any and everything you read on wiki. HAARP was more then likely up and running before 93.. thats just when it became "known" to the public.

except that HAARP began as a project in 80's especially after DIA and Keegan's warnings on soviet power and was believed to be a kneejerk reaction to the sura ionspheric station(or plasma ionosphere weapon as many conspiracts claim)

the HAARP construction finished in 1990 and was revealed to public in 1995...

--------
Who is building the HAARP facility?
The HAARP program is jointly managed by the Air Force Research Laboratory and the Office of Naval Research. The facility is being constructed by commercial contractors through a contract with ONR.
When did the HAARP program start?
The HAARP program began in 1990.
Where is the HAARP facility located?
The HAARP Research Station is located approximately 8 miles north of Gakona, Alaska.

www.haarp.alaska.edu...
-----------

More then likely the russians found out the americans were working on such a device through there espionage ring. Russia always lacked the brain power as they did the funds unlike the americans. and i wouldnt put much past a bunch of soviet era ruskies who were well known through out all the cold war for making basless claims

i have never seen so much nonsense...
your cliam is uterly baseless and nonsenscial , the USSR was a nation with one of largest scientisfic potenetial,
USSR was the first one to design the tokomak fusion reactor, today on basis of which ITER is being built

sakaharov was the one who proposed the theory for creating anti-matter , the process of baryogenesis....

the USSr built the first civilian atomic reactor

the first ion thrusters and pulsed plasma thrusters used in space were built by USSR for the zond lunar and interpanetary probes ......

the first nation to land a probe on the moon was USSR , the first nation to send a man to space was USSR,,,,,

the powerful chemical and biological weapons are in the hands of USSR , the world's best civil defence

the first ballistic missile sub(diesel powered), ICBM,first staellite etcc...
USSR again

the heavy lift and energy efficent designs like an-124, an-225 mriya etc..

the boeing dream lifter is the first proper competitor to an-124 and developed by whom : boeing design center , moscow
source:
----
Designed by Boeing Design Center Moscow[1]
en.wikipedia.org...
----

More then likely the russians found out the americans were working on such a device through there espionage ring

total BS ......

HAARP was more then likely up and running before 93.. thats just when it became "known" to the public.

construction finished in 1990 and the concept of HAARP was stated in 1980s by physicist bernard Eastlund as aalternative to SDI and believed to be a kneejerk reaction to sura and Niir

These concerns were amplified by Bernard Eastlund, a physicist who developed some of the concepts behind the HAARP in the 1980s and proposed using high-frequency radio waves to beam large amounts of power into the ionosphere, energizing its electrons and ions in order to disable incoming missiles and knock out enemy satellite communications. The US military became interested in the idea as an alternative to the laser-based Strategic Defense Initiative. However, Eastlund's ideas were eventually dropped as SDI itself mutated into the more limited National Missile Defense of today. The contractors selected to build HAARP have denied that any of Eastlund's patents were used in the development of the project.
en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join