It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows error

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I have been having an issue with XP lately. When I get out of a game or do anything CPU intensive Windows will kinda lock up. Whenever I try to start any programs I get "Windows Can not access the specific drive or path". I can't even start task manager. I haven't installed any new software in a while, I haven't ran windows update since install about 2 months ago. Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause? Like I said, it only happens after closing something cpu intense like gaming or dvd encoding.(but not dvd burning) The task bar also seems to get locked. I can't open anything that's minimized to the tray. The only thing I can do is a hard reset (soft reset doesn't do anything) and leaving it here for several minutes doesn't make a difference. I've done full virus scans with Nod32 and ad-aware with no hits (other than trackin cookies) any help is greatly appreciated

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I guess if it was me I would start it up in safemode and run chkdsk /r to make sure the hard drive data was ok, just for starters.

Best of Luck
makeitso

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I guess I should have written all the things I've done. I've ran Chckdsk and I've defragmented the drive. I've used a few different programs for Tuning windows (fix registry errors and such) ran multiple virus scans etc. Googling around has had people with similiar issues related with in home networks. I have a network but I've already ensured there weren't any conflicts (made sure of it when I setup the network)

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
When you ran chkdsk, where you in safemode, did you use the /r?

Have you looked to see if your cpu fan is clogged with dust which would be a factor in overheating? Same if it sits in direct sun while your using it.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I didn't run it in safe mode, I ran it on start up. I cleaned the dust out last week (well, week before last) so it should still be relatively clean. I know the house is a bit warm so I suppose that could be it. I'll try keeping it cooler and see if it helps. Thanks for the help makeitso.

new topics

top topics

join