It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spyware ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Hi,

what's up with the latest ads on this site?

I'm talking about the one that closes your ATS site completely, then a popup tells you your pc is infected by the worst spyware ever and your sent to a download page no matter how you answer the popup. The whole thing is of course a lie to make you download the software (which is **** anyway, or probably spyware itself).

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I haven't seen that one myself, but if it's shutting down ATS like that I'm sure they will try to take it down.

Try to get the info about it + a screenshot and post it here...

Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)

edit: Are you logged in when you see the Ad? Because members shouldn't get pop ups anyway I think...

edit again: Did I post the invisible post button?
It says a 3rd post was made my me, but I didn't post.

[edit on 13/6/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I've not seen that ad, and logged-in members do not receive any pop-up/under ads at all.

All our banned ads are from one of these banner networks:
- RightMedia
- TribalFusion
- ValueClick
- 24/7 Real Media
We don't pick the advertisers that appear, we simply receive advertisers that are part of a "network buy."

If you can help by trying to identify the advertiser and network, we can prevent specific ads from showing on ATS.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Ok, I guess it's something on my computer then. Every so often I keep getting a pop up about taking a survey. It happens 2-3 times a week that I've noticed. I close it and it goes away just fine. I've never seen one about getting rid of spyware or anything like that though.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Zaph -

Is it the ATS Extraterrestrial Encounter Survey?

Once you take it you won't see it again.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Ok, I guess it's something on my computer then. Every so often I keep getting a pop up about taking a survey. It happens 2-3 times a week that I've noticed. I close it and it goes away just fine. I've never seen one about getting rid of spyware or anything like that though.

have you tried adaware from lavasoft?

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
No enjoies, it's a survey on a different site.

I ran Spybot and Adaware both, I THOUGHT I got rid of it (I found a bunch of things) but it popped up again. I've had some spyware on my computer before that I had to go through the reg a couple times to get rid of it, because it leaves a tiny kernel hidden and it comes back if you try to get rid of it.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I've not seen that ad, and logged-in members do not receive any pop-up/under ads at all.

All our banned ads are from one of these banner networks:
- RightMedia
- TribalFusion
- ValueClick
- 24/7 Real Media
We don't pick the advertisers that appear, we simply receive advertisers that are part of a "network buy."

If you can help by trying to identify the advertiser and network, we can prevent specific ads from showing on ATS.

Hmm, is it possible that's it's on my side then? I just used Spybot to clear lots of spyware..

However, it only happens to me on this site, the next time it happens i'll get the name of the stuff.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
However, it only happens to me on this site, the next time it happens i'll get the name of the stuff.

We have had reports of ATS being the target of spyware in the past... so it is possible that our domain is triggering certain spyware poppers again.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I just got a survey popup from Questionmarket.

I've removed their tracking cookie from my computer twice in the past week.

Since I don't do much surfing these days, and spend most time checking email or coming here, I'm assuming that it's getting to me here somehow.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
I just got a survey popup from Questionmarket.

So did I.

It's coming from a company called DynamicLogic, Inc, through the ValueClick banner network, but is not listed as a campaign under either of those names, so there's no way to negate it right now (there are 318 banner campaigns from ValueClick that could appear on ATS right now). I sent them a support ticket, asking for the campaign name so we can filter out the ad.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
That's the one I've been getting. Good to know that it's not my end. I was getting ready to do some serious work on this thing, and wasn't looking forward to it.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
SO I just had a new pop-up on BTS:

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I've also had the "your computer may be infected" problem!

It minimizes my browser and displays a new window with warning messages.

I close it and maximise the browser and hit the "back" button.

Definately comes through ATS though because my security only allows certain sites access.

Not a real problem if I can carry on browsing but very naughty and a shock the first time I saw it.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I hate the red flashing banners. How the heck can you read when a bright red banner is flashing right beside it. Might not be so bad if it didnt flash.

new topics

top topics

join