It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your 3 favourite fiction books and why

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I think the title spells out the name of this game

1. IT by Stephen King. The book never fails to send chills up my spine either through the terror of IT itself or the bravery and friendship forged by the kids fighting it. 'They all float down here'

2. To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee. This book creates hugely powerful imagery i don't think iv'e ever felt i know about a place ive never been to like the 1930's small town America depictated in this book. The kids innocence broken is so sensitively and intelligently presented and Atticus is just a legend. Good film to.

3.1984 by George Orwell. This book is pretty damn depressing, but is just to compelling to put down. Please please let this never happen to the U.k, is it already here though??

Now what are yours? i hope to hear about some i have never red or heard of!!

[edit on 13-6-2007 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Does anyone else other than me read i ask>???? Or are you all too busy:w: and

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Does anyone else other than me read i ask>???? Or are you all too busy:w: and:

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Watership Down by Richard Adams. I read it every spring for some reason and never tire of it. I'm not sure it's particularly deep. Just a good yarn.

The Brothers Karamozov by Fydor Dostoyevsky. An epic novel that captures a dozen different philosophical and theological questions. The nature of right and wrong, the need for God (or not) in the modern world, plus just really interesting character building between the brothers and their society.

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. At first it's bewildering to read because you don't know what Faulkner is up to. After you get used to it, the characters start weaving in and out of your soul. I always catch something new in it when I read it.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Toromos, hmm that 2nd one sounds interesting and watership down is a classic.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Three is hard. I love a lot of books and don't pick favorites much. I'll just put three books I love that pop into my head now.

1. The Stand by Stephen King. It's his magnum opus. Nothing else has ever come close to this, and I like nearly everything the man writes. It was so dense, and rich, and I loved the way it wove horror into a post-apocalypse scenario. That was like getting chocolate in my peanut butter: two great tastes that taste great together.

2. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. I really like novels set in Asia, particularly India and China (specifically pre-cultural revolution). When I read a book and it leaves me feeling I've just heard something profound, that has me so introspective when it's finished it's as if I'm in a half-trance, and when I read it again, it does the same thing, I know I have something special in my hands. The way it brings the daily struggles to survive in an India of the not-too-distant past is an eye opener. A truly magnificent read, rich in lessons of human nature.

3. Lamb by Christopher Moore. A very funny and irreverent take on Jesus' life as told by his best friend Biff. I love a good satire, and this is as good as it gets. I still re-read it once a year or so, because it is endlessly delightful.

[edit on 13-6-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Im gonna post another 3 to get this topic back on the board

1. The Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger. A great book about the travels of an outsider, is he mad? is he dangerous? or is he the only sane person around? you can make your own conclusions.

2. High Fidelity By Nick Hornby. Avery witty romantic comedy based in England highlighting all the pitfalls of relationships i'm sure weve all falllen in to, funny book.

3. The Hobbit by J RR Tolkein. Although LOTR was amazing i enjoy this book more as it is a funnier wittier more whimsical journey through middle earth, just more of a fun read.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Rings trilogy. Hey, it's ONE story. I enjoyed them as a teen and again in my 40's.

Different Seasons- King. Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, best writing he has done. Apt Pupil was creepy and The Body took us back. All 3 made into movies. The Breathng Method wasn't but the ambiance of the story is incredible.

Anything from Robert E. Howard. He didn't just write Conan. Think Poe with action as well as mood.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
My three favorites all have something to do with feral men/boys as thats my favorite theme for some reason I have some fixation with feral stories.

#1. Tarzan of the Apes...everyone knows the great Tarzan

#2. Incident at Hawks Hill/ A Fictional Account of a true story
Ben was not an ordinary six-year-old boy. He was much too small for his age, and he seemed to get along better with animals than with people. None of the people in North Corners knew quite what to make of him. Then one June day in 1870, Ben wandered away from his home on Hawk's Hill and disappeared without a trace into the waving prairie grass. How this shy, lonely boy survived most of a summer in the wilds by forging a bond with a female badger is a poignant story of huuman courage and change.

With more than 11 million copies sold worldwide, Incident at Hawks' Hill remains one of the most beloved works of children's literature ever written.

#3 A Feast Unknown
Tarzan vs Doc Savage....two great men pitted against each other for the secret of eternal life

The legendary Apeman Lord Grandrith, Lord of the Jungle, fights the equally legendary Doc Caliban, Man of Bronze and Champion of Justice. For the loser it will mean death - for the victor not just life but immortality. But who are the dark manipulators of their destiny? For these titans are good men, real-life superheroes who have passed into folklore as 'Tarzan' and 'Doc Savage'. Now, inflamed by unfathomable passions, they run amok in an orgy of hate and vengeance, lust and bloodshed. From the mountains of Ethiopia to the pastoral beauty of an English stately home, Philip José Farmer explores the intimate secrets of a superhero's private life in an epic fantasy of truly legendary proportions.

[edit on 13-6-2007 by junglelord]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Beaver Towers trilogy (maybe not trilogy as its 4)

my teacher read these to us at story time (believe it or not over 10 years ago) and i what can i say the story line was great

Harry Potter (the last 3 books)

supprising i only read golblet of fire 1 year after i bought it due to a power cut and not been able to watch TV, and found my self not being able to put it down reading the books sometimes to 2-3 am

Films sucked though

the detail in this book is amazing the way he goes into such detail brillent
after reading this book from the library i had to buy it

images are hosted by Amazon

i am a book worm and i dont just have three favorites

[edit on 13-6-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
junglelord, if you like Burroughs check out some other stuff. Tarzan got boring after the 4th, Son of Tarzan. He did others though that are worth reading. The John Carter Mars series was good. Carson of Venus was pretty good and he did some non-series books worth reading. I liked The Efficiency Expert and I am a Barbarian. Wasn't big on the Inner Earth series though.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Ah, ERB. The first science fiction novel I ever read was The Moon Maid at age eight.

I agree, Intrepid, John Carter on Mars was some of my favorite reading about age 12. I devoured the series in a summer. I can still remember the one with the body switching old lady who wanted Dejah Thoris' body for herself. And those kaldanes (?) the spider head things that rode the headless bodies.

It's been a long time, maybe time to pick those up again for a nostalgia reading.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
1984 - It was one of the only books I have ever read that actually made me really sad and feel for the characters, and it was a great story.

Angels & Demons by dan brown - It was just a really interesting story, I never wanted to stop reading it.

Animal Farm by george orwell - It had a good message

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
'Ghostwritten' by David Mithchell because its highly original '6 different countries/characters format (all the stories are like Russian dolls) and the high level of insight and dark humour.

'Imajica' by Clive Barker because it's just fantastic and that's that.

'The Life of Pye' by Yann Martell because it deals with the survival of a young boy, a zebra , a gorilla and a tiger on a liferaft in the ocean- it doesn't get much more original than that.....no seriously it won awards.

[edit on 01/24/07 by karl 12]

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
the hunt for red october-because i love anything by tom clancy and its a great techinically rich story

the black march- it makes you think about what it mustve been like to be in germany in ww2 its the diary of a ss man

heavy traffic- it is about the exploits of the DEA over the last 40-50 years....it makes me feel like im spying on the enemy

top topics

join