It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Hollywood shootout the start of police state?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I've always been fascinated in the NH shootout and with all the threads about police states it made me think, without the north Hollywood shootout would police still have their little handguns, which they still have now but I'm pretty not (not 100%) but police now have shotguns easily available and probably automatic weapons, which is virtually making them into the national guard. I really dont see a difference in police and nat guard, and to be off topic I cant believe that the cops did not get a headshot on those two shooters.

Anyways I would just like your thoughts, thanks.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Police have their own handguns and can call in back-up with bigger weapons for when the criminals have guns better than police standard issue weapons.
I don't see how this one police shootout is the start of some big police state -- aren't there shootouts like this everyday in the US?
I would be more worried about how the police have performed in Jena, bending the rules to try and put six black lads in prison for life, and setting bail so high three family homes have to be remortgaged to raise the funds. All for a playground scrap where the white lad was hardly injured, the sort of thing that happens everyday throughout the world.
These are the actions of a police state in my view. But I digress.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Honestly, i dont see any sort of acceleration into a Police State from the NH Shootout. Yes i have also been interested in these kind of events. But think about it, if the police had gotten more heavier weaponry

(which they do now due to the NH shootout, they have shotguns in their trunks where their out-gunned)

from that event, i think Columbine and the more recent Virginia Tech would have ended faster then they would of.

But yes, i see your point. Due to the NH shootout, it gives the police the excuse to arm themselves with M4's while out on a simple footpatrol or something. yes i see what you mean.

But if there were any Police State actions taken by police, i am 100% sure that they would be VERY noticable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The police that day had standard 9mm. handguns, and were about maybe 25 feet or more away, in a life/death situation with adrenaline coursing thorough their body from excitement and such. and to get a headshot against a drugged up, AK 47 assailiant, that would take major luck. and they had to wait for SWAT because most police officers dont get shot at with AK 47s everyday so their normal COA's wouldnt of been sufficient to battle with the shooters. But that is totally my civillian opionion.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
This is a little off topic but not much, why didnt those guys make a run for it?
They just thought they were going to walk out of there I guess. Why didnt they just jump in the car and make a run for it shooting there way out of the gauntlet?

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Here is a thread I started on the same topic last year:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

When I wrote that, I was fresh back from a training exercise where my department was introduced to our new M4 carbines. The instructors' attitudes prompted me to make that post on ATS...something just rubbed me the wrong way, and they didn't seem to want to answer my questions.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
This is a little off topic but not much, why didnt those guys make a run for it?
They just thought they were going to walk out of there I guess. Why didnt they just jump in the car and make a run for it shooting there way out of the gauntlet?

This quote from wikipedia answers your question:

"Matasareanu's vehicle was rendered nearly inoperable after its tires were blown out.[2] At 9:56 a.m., he commandeered a pickup truck on Archwood, three blocks east of where Phillips was shot down, and transferred all of his weapons and ammunition from the getaway car to the truck.[2][3] However, Matasareanu was unable to start the truck since its owner had taken the keys with him when he fled.[2] A patrol car driven by SWAT officers quickly arrived—and Matasareanu left the truck, took cover behind the original getaway car, and engaged them immediately."

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

join