It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powl Would Close Down Guantanamo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Powl Would Close Down Guantanamo

www.washingtonpost.com

Former secretary of state Colin L. Powell said yesterday that he would close down the U.S. military prison for enemy combatants at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, "this afternoon" because it has become a major problem in "the way the world perceives America."

"Essentially, we have shaken the belief that the world had in America's justice system by keeping a place like Guantanamo open and creating things like a military commission," Powell said on NBC's "Meet the Press."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.latimes.com
jurist.law.pitt.edu

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Guantanamo Saudi 'kills himself'
More than 60 children reportedly held at Guantanamo Bay

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Ok, that's what he thinks is the right thing to do. I disagree. I know everyone has an opinion on Guantanamo, its good its bad its illegal etc..... I just think that is about the safest place to put the prisoners taken in the last seven years since all this big ugly mess started. If they were on U.S. soil they would just be a target for a terror strike and escape.
And that is my opinion.

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Good for Powell.

How long does he have to file?

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I presume this is one of the reasons he is no longer in charge of the State Department?

Do you think this article was published because he is about to run for president, or is he hoping to regain his former position if a Dem wins?

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
makeitso,
that is a good question, and I don't really know. It does make it sound like he is trying to get attention to him self. I however, think it is almost to late to throw his hat in the ring for a presidential run, seeing as how he did not do to well as the secretary of state.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Very generous and decent of him, lol. If you call it generous and decent to rellinquish what you no longer need ..... because you've established overseas torture camps as well as otherwise 'outsourcing' the torture of your victims.

Man. If this was an F-grade movie, it couldn't be worse.

new topics

top topics

join