It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large Hadron Collider - Dangers?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks

But the chances also state that the liklyhood of a sustained black hole forming are rather low, and the same goes for those strangelets.

I find it interesting that they can say the chances are low and that they will dissipate......How do they know this? Have they studied black holes and tested them before? I am not buying this whole concept that they understand how blackholes work. My 2 cents

-Kdial1

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

I hear your concerns but... "science has gone far enough?" are you nuts?!!?

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
i have been questioning this for quite a while now.
if they create the ' big bang ',
do you think that new life will be created just as we were supposedly.
but the process would be sped up as the new mass created from the collision would cool down quicker than the earth did.

i dont know why they are attempting this experiment tho,, they are potentionally digging there own graves and ours aswell.

from
Gonzo

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

They understand a lot better than you do, and they're not scared. Or are you suggesting all these scientists don't care if they blow up the earth or get it sucked into a black hole? Because unless you do, you're being awfully assumptive about their level of intelligence, and your own.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
well i have full faith on SCIENCE
.... I do not think there is any danger for mother earth...
I keep my fingers crossed for the experiment to b successfull

i do not believe the fact that the mini black hole will actually swallow this world as according to almost all scienctists the mini black hole will evaporate as soon as it is formed.....
so..SMILE PLEASE this experiment is nothin' 2 fear about!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I don't see why they need to do this, they are risking the earth (in a way)... The earth was created because it just was...i don't see why we need to risk all of mankind just to find out...

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

This is why you have the term "mad scientist" who doesn't care about anyone or anything. Hawkins radiation is so far an unproven theory, but, it is soppsed to be the proof that the tiny black holes have disappeared. So, if that be the case, and they do not detect this theoretical radiation, and a black hole forms (which is likely), the earth will be doomed to a slow but steady death that may take four years to complete. Hawkins said that sub atomic black holes are the size of an atom but have the mass of a mountain.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It appears CERN has pulled of quite a piece of propaganda everything I've read so far since I've woke is laughing at the doom sayers saying were still here etc.

So everyone seems to think the danger is over when there hasn't been a single collision yet I guess it's kinder to let them think that though.

I wish that was true myself but I won't be celebrating even when they do the collisions which is were if anything will go wrong will happen.

I think we will pass the Collision stage with no apparent problems as well but the thing is we just won't know and probably won't for years.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The big bang wasnt created by too atoms smashing together though??? what are they trying to do reverse enginer??? so instead of the big bang it will be a reverse big bang? so that would create the original material that created the big bang? if this is true then the actual big bang could happen again from the particles that originaly created the big bang does this mean that it will be a super condensed sphere thats so unbelivably dense that it would way millions of tons! and would literally smash through the earths crust and then would be heated to millions of degrees! HOT STUFF
this may ignite it and create the big bang again! can anyone help me out with this?????? im no physician btw im only 17 so sorry if my ideas seem a bit out of this world so to speak i do not know how this stuff works!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The speed of the proton is 450 GeV to 7 TeV. IF the S.D magnets did not increase to 0.50 then the energy capacity closes in higher than 7 Tev, creating more than 3.4μJ of energy.

The Lorentz factor will be substantial and chances of this occuring are extremely gra-low. Leading to grey-goo inundation. (very low
)

I say, around 21st october, expect to be dead.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Black holes, particle collisions, $44 billion to build. Anyone who thinks there is no hidden agenda here is already living in a black hole. Is it safe? yea, probably. But only if they have realy and truthfully explained what they are doing and why they are doing it. My guess is that they havnt. We dont know their objectives and thats why I think we should be worried.

My opinion.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

How can you say that the development of a black hole is likely, and at the same time say that Hawkin's Theory is not proven? That's a contradiction in itself, because saying a black hole formation is likely due to the two atoms colliding is pure speculation.

The fact is we don't know how black holes work to the dot, and that alone means that we can't pinpoint what causes them either. The official term is that they are created when stars or planets collapse in on themselves. But what people NEED to remember is that micro black holes are highly unstable and do not last long.

It should also be noted that these atoms are colliding all the time, but you don't see us dying because of it do you?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
reply to post by Fromabove

How can you say that the development of a black hole is likely, and at the same time say that Hawkin's Theory is not proven? That's a contradiction in itself, because saying a black hole formation is likely due to the two atoms colliding is pure speculation.

Quite easy I've seen images of Black Holes eating stars I have never seen a photo of Hawking Radiation or anything else to back it up. Some of the early estimates by CERN before they went on the defensive was one black hole a second. Now we hear from them it's unlikely that's still not 100% safe and these are planet destroying risks we are taking.

The fact is we don't know how black holes work to the dot, and that alone means that we can't pinpoint what causes them either. The official term is that they are created when stars or planets collapse in on themselves. But what people NEED to remember is that micro black holes are highly unstable and do not last long.

You are right which is the main reason it's stupid to make one on Earth we will be literally opening pandoras box they may start out small but so did the Universe.

It should also be noted that these atoms are colliding all the time, but you don't see us dying because of it do you?

There is a big difference though the ones that collide in the Atmosphere still have their full velocity and can head on out into space the ones on Earth run the risk of losing their velocity from head on collisions plus the fact that it's happening on Earth gives Earths own gravity a good say where they may end up.

Most scientists don't rule out the possibility of a micro black hole and we are meant to trust Hawkings guess at Hawking Radiation making it collapse. This is a just his guess do you want to trust the planet to it I think it's much wiser to assume Hawking Radiation doesn't exist unless it's proven to later on down the line.

Let's hope the thing isn't powerful enough to make black holes because if it is I think we are doomed even if the majority still manage to leave Earths atmosphere you know they'll keep making them until one sticks.

As for Hawking Radiation what makes him think radiation can escape when light can't the whole thing is insane.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join