Large Hadron Collider - Dangers?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Source

Recent developments in physics suggest the possibility that an experiment, scheduled to begin at the European research facility at CERN late in 2007, will destroy the Earth. CERN is installing a new high-energy particle collider, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). It is expected to produce particles scientists have not seen before. Two of these particles could be dangerous.

Black Holes
Several string theorists have published papers predicting that the LHC will produce mini black holes. In the worst case, a mini black hole could swallow Earth.

Strangelets
Strangelets, another potential collider product, might catalyze conversion of normal matter into more strangelets, turning Earth into a small ball of strangelets.

Safety Factors
CERN has published a paper asserting several safety factors. Black holes are supposed to dissipate via Hawking radiation. A collection of strangelets is supposed to be electrically positive on its surface, and therefore not attract other matter. However, new studies have put these safety factors in question. New physics papers question the existence of Hawking radiation. A recently published paper finds that a collection of strangelets can be negative on its surface. Other safety factors also seem subject to question. For more details, see our discussion and reference sections.

More reading

What do you think? The "End of the World is Nigh" or something to really worry about that should even shut up those Global Warming idiots for 5 minutes?

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
When the first atomic bomb was detonated, the Trinity test in New Mexico, scientists were worried that the weapon would ignite the atmosphere, extingusing all life on earth's surface.

I would much prefer a black hole, which would quickly swallow up the planet. Chances are we would hardly feel a thing.
But the chances also state that the liklyhood of a sustained black hole forming are rather low, and the same goes for those strangelets. Even if we did kill ourselves and this planet, who cares?

[edit on 11/6/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
hypothetically, there wouldn't be anyone left to care, so the answer to your question "who cares?" is "no-one".

the scientists whom are implementing the LHC are playing with levels of energy and forces that are not normally observed on our planet. they are messing with and attempting to verify the exsistence of the very basic stuff of creation (and destruction). there may be very dangerous consequences, indeed.

i think science has gone far enough. i, for one, do not want to get caught peeking-up mother nature's skirt....she might get a little pissed.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I remember reading somewhere that mini black holes are created in Earth’s atmosphere every year, so if they did pose a threat then earth would already have been destroyed.

Even if that isn’t true, higher energy collisions still occur naturally all the time. So we aren’t doing anything truly new.

Such risks are incredibly small, especially when compared to the amount of knowledge that we could get from the LHC.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
^ agreed, I think the potential for information is worth the risk, if we have the knowledge to put it together, and undertake this, we certianly deserve to see the results, and if they are horribly bad, then the earth will be vaporized, so failure is no matter

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
How crazy would that be if the whole world just disapeared. Reality check that we are just a speck in the universe.
We are to little to play around with unpredictable experiments.

But im just as curious as the next cat.

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Stuff with WAY higher energy than the LHC can produce comes in from intergalactic space all the time and impacts on our atmosphere. I think we're probably safe for the time being.

posted on Jun, 28 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Yeah... they were saying a couple years back when they were talking about the black-hole creation stuff that about 100 were created in the atmosphere every year. But they were also talking about trying to use it specifically to create infant black holes that would most likely never grow beyond what they start as (and will most likely dissipate soon after creation) at a rate of... well... 1 Hz is a good way to put it. I think 1 every second for an extended period of time is definitely pushing luck. In a day you've just forced Earth to have to rely on chance as many times for the same possible catastrophe as it has pretty much in our well-recorded history. Also... I can't help but say it... John Titor. Not saying he was right, or that I believe him, but I still find it interesting and at times humorous to see how many times he seems right (actually just as much as it's interesting to see when he was wrong). I generally try to keep uncertainties like his story out of talking about science, but come on... it's CERN we're talking about.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Lets just say that a black hole did form and suck the Earth into oblivion. Would the rest of the Universe be destroyed as well? Not that it would matter because we would all be dead, but was just curious.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Well really there are so many topics in so any subcategories. I’ve been studying what CERN is up to for about 7 years now. There is just too much to talk about. Some of the things align with dates of significance with in manyof the things spoken of on this site. I have personally found links for why haarp was put into existence… besides the weather controlling theory and Tesla’s Field theories / writings. Everything is frequency. Let’s just say that they have had over 100 years to figure out and log many many frequencies and what they control. Everything operates with in a narrow frequency range's, people include. (Makes you wonder why they turned HAARP on almost full power on 9-11-01 during the bombings.) But that’s for another post… regardless it is a fact that HAARP can tune our whole ionosphere to any frequency it chooses. If everything is frequency and they have been playing with ULF’s (ultra low frequency) and UHF’s (ultra high frequency) for over a 100 years, im pretty sure they have the frequencies for the human mental and physical bodies and/or patterns. All which I will get too soon.

Now about CERN Click here to see the count down (is projected for the first collision) the LHC will create a black hole (if that’s not bad enough it “will be” here on earth.)

Basic knowledge of black holes:

1. It sucks in all mater, even light…
(to put that into prospective... it will suck in light particles out of travel)
2. it sucks all mater as a sphere (in 360) meaning that it has no side, (if it were possible to stand on one side of a black hole and walk around to the other side of it, it would still be the side of the hole). Some people like to think it goes to another dimension. Basically it’s a puncture in the fabric of your universe that def goes somewhere.

Now I don’t know if the first collision will be a success on the first try. But it won’t be to long after it’s all operational that they nail it.

One of the major differences in this collision, beside just the scale of it being the largest and most energetic experiment ever done and its goal of recreating the big bang. The mater will not collide into a plate (a sheet of metal, as done in the other experiments from past decades with the smaller collider) in this experiment Beams of lead nuclei will be accelerated to the speed of light smashing together with a collision energy of 1150 TeV.

What their official spokes person says is: there is no danger and at the slightest sign of any thing going wrong they will simply shut it off…

Problem
1. It sucks in all mater!
2. if it was possible that a switch was still around to switch off , do you really trust some jerk off to be able to think, know and react at “the speed of light” to turn it off. Man they must have someone really good.

Five experiments, with the huge detectors, will study what happens when the LHC's beams collide. They will handle as much information as the entire European telecommunications network does today!

As well as having the highest energy of any accelerator in the world, the LHC will also have the most intense beams. Collisions will happen so fast (800 million times a second) that particles from one collision will still be travelling through the detector when the next collision happens. Understanding what happens in these collisions is the key to the LHC's success.

The experiments are: Feel free to wiki/google these.

ATLAS
CMS
ALICE (hmmm what happened to alice? she went down a hole)
LHCb
TOTEM

google video links:

TPE, le CERN
Nebuleuse Productions

The Cathedrals of Science - CERN : 1954-2004

video 1

Other cern videos:

lords of the ring

Atlas videos

[url=http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/LHC/LHCExperiments-en.

[edit on 16-12-2007 by Vision Ammunition]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lethys

I for once agree with Lethys

Also this experiment will hopefully give some insight to "forbidden" knowledge about ZPE, Anti-Matter, implosion etc. etc.

In normal language they are trying to collide particals at high speed to reveal insight into even smaller particals and to measure the effect of the collision.

How this should be able to shreed a hole in space/time and create a black hole... well in my opinion that is just ridiculous

Natural creation has its own pattern, just like black holes/white holes, galaxies and anything follows this pattern... you have seen it many times... the opositing vortesies that expands in all directions, giving you the spiraling pattern, controlled and made by electromagnetic forces from the entire universe.

So to make a blackhole you need in my opinion a little more than:
"2 particles slammed together" we are talking particles people... not giant bodies that we see in the universe.

I hope they discover this very pattern, at an even smaller level than known today.
I hope they discover that, high density and high heat does not create a Big Bang effect.
I hope they solve or get closer to the true nature of light (wave or particle or both)
I hope they finally realise, that they cannot create a black hole with that structure

and alot more... but it will not swallow the earth

[edit on 16-12-2007 by Bluess]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mirageofdeceit

This event could solve the world credit crunch....so in anticipation get spending again ! The end is nigh

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

i want to live.
havewe become arrogant to the point of daring oblivian into a game of poker with the bet of gaining knowledge . oh i forgot thats what got us into trouble in the garden of eden now its the garden of lucern but im afraid that if we bite into this apple of knowledge we will not fall from grace but rather dissolve into the eons of space.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

i want to live.
havewe become arrogant to the point of daring oblivian into a game of poker with the bet of gaining knowledge . oh i forgot thats what got us into trouble in the garden of eden now its the garden of lucern but im afraid that if we bite into this apple of knowledge we will not fall from grace but rather dissolve into the eons of space.

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I think someone out there is afraid of what they'll really find with the super collider. And so there are multiple references why "experts" say it's unsafe.

This is an interesting video discussing the possibility of finding the "god particle."

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
A black hole does not suck in all matter and light, if that was true then the very first black hole ever created billions and billions of light years ago would have reversed the big bang, and all of existence wouldn't have evolved into what we see today.

The LHC is just going to create a huge bomb. That's what happens when you "collide" things.... they go "bang!". Haven't you ever seen a car crash before?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I am by no means a physicist, but here is my take on it (previously discussed on this thread).

Lets look at simple science. The concern seems to be focused black holes growing out of control right?

Black holes use gravitational force to grow by pulling more matter into itself. If a black hole is created at CERN it will be only a few atoms big. A few atoms on their own has extremely little gravitational pull, so a hole would grow extremely slowly or not at all. Add to this that the experiment will be conducted in a vacuum (e.g. there is no matter present for the hole to grow in the first place).

I'm not loosing any sleep over this.

I know nothing about Strangelets, but it seems to me that if they were that triggerhappy the entire universe should have been turned into a soup of Strangelets by now...

I'm not loosing any sleep over this either.

g

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
A black hole does not suck in all matter and light, if that was true then the very first black hole ever created billions and billions of light years ago would have reversed the big bang

Unless of course there was no Big Bang. Pardon me if I find the big bang theory severely flawed.
It's illogical to think that a huge explosion created life as we know it. Don't understand why scientists believe this theory, when there is absolutely no proof or scientific basis. It's called a theory for a reason. With how our bodies work so perfectly, it's clear we were intelligently designed by something. Not that I believe in God as we know it. For all I know, a giant Octupus named Leroy created us.

The Big Bang Theory is no less ridiculous than thinking that there is a giant white bearded man in the heavens who created us. We are always debating which one should be taught in schools, evolution or creationism. I think neither. The only things that should be taught in schools are things that we know for sure, not just lame theories.

Originally posted by ALLis0NE

The LHC is just going to create a huge bomb. That's what happens when you "collide" things.... they go "bang!". Haven't you ever seen a car crash before?

Yes, that's what they want to do with the LHC, to re-create the big bang. Let's assume I'm wrong and the Big Bang really happened, I'm not too sure it's a safe idea to have another big bang happen right in our backyard.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by OrangeAlarmClock
Yes, that's what they want to do with the LHC, to re-create the big bang. [...] I'm not too sure it's a safe idea to have another big bang happen right in our backyard.

There is possibly a little difference between a big bang involving two atoms, and one involving all the matter and energy in the universe.

And if you think there is no more evidence for the big bang than for "intelligent" design, I suggest you read some actual science texts discussing it. There are many stages between conclusive evidence and no evidence.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join