It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Releases Safari for Windows !?!?!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I tried it, and it's one of the worst beta versions I have ever tested.

It does not render the pages correctly.

Firefox:

IE 7:

Opera:

Safari:

It allways crashes when I try to bookmark a page, see the bookmarks (that are empty because I can not use them), import bookmarks or create a bookmark folder.

And if they made a Windows version they should adhere to Windows specifications, and that does not happen.
Right-clicking on the title-bar does nothing, when it should show the window menu.
There aren't any tool-tips on the buttons to say what they do.

The status bar text is hard to read.

When maximized and then minimized, when it is activated it does not appear maximized as it was before.

It was only faster than Firefox (which was very slow) on the CSS speed test, but, being a beta version, it could be faster when (if
) it reaches release status.

And I don't like the antialiasing text either, that may be good with LCD displays but on my CRT monitor they look ugly, that is why I turned it off on Windows Vista (Business edition).

I don't like the location of the close button of the tabs, why is it on the left?

So, in conclusion, as it is, it's useless.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Mind you, that is the purpose of a BETA version, to release a stable, yet unfinished product to a test audience for free, in return for feedback.

I'm running the Safari 3 BETA on my iMac, and it loads ATS beautifully.

Mind you, the same thing happened with the iTunes coded for Windows. Apple fixed it, and I assume they will do the same for Safari.

posted on Jun, 19 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
The Mac OS X version of Safari 3 is now my main browser.

I have a Mac Pro and can boot into Windows XP professional and have tried the Windows version, and it seems to work fine too.

It's a beta so there will be some problems on different setups (especially in the wild world of Wintel), but I've also made Safari the default browser in Win XP over IE (not that I boot into XP that much though). I'm sure Apple tested it mainly on Intel Mac hardware though, that's why it's put out as a beta to see how it really performs in the wild.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join