It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Laws - Latest News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Did anyone hear the news this morning saying that a new piece of legislature is about to be implemented that states that ANY law can be instantly revoked for the security of the country? This seems like madness to me. They say it is to keep the country 'dynamic' in times of massive terror attacks / war / marshall law etc.

Any thoughts? Nanny state gone mad?

Ben

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
it seems the US and the UK are working as one in the form of a New World Order. Implementing laws that allow them to do anything to anyone at anytime.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I'll find a link to this in a moment.

I believe it's called The Emergency and Contigency Bill.

It's not law yet by a long way.The Bill is just coming up before The House of Commons today.

If I remember correctly a White Paper (Draft Bill) was published last year but it came under attack from both houses of Parliament plus Liberty (a civil rights group) because of the broad definition of what an emergency was and the sweeping powers that the government inherited under those circumstances.

The White Paper was indeed a British Patriot Act in all but name but the final draft is likely to be watered down otherwise it has no chance of being passed.

As I said I 'll find one or two links on this and we'll know more once the draft of the Bill has been published later today.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Planned new powers for dealing with a major terrorist attack or other big emergencies are unveiled on Wednesday.
Ministers have already published drafts of the new laws, which were criticised by an influential committee of MPs and peers for putting human rights at risk.

The critics will be looking to see what concessions the government has made when the Civil Contingencies Bill is published on Wednesday.

Civil rights campaigners want the new powers to be more strictly defined.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
This surely, or should I say hopefully, will not get through without being watered down to another meaningless, unenforceable piece of legal nonsense.

Methinks it may be getting near time to emigrate before the govt erects a wall round our shores (purely to keep the terrorists out of course
)

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
my chemistry teacher mentioned this... they can completely strip you of any rights. SOUNDS FUN!

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This is an interesting topic.

In the U.S. laws can only be officially repealed by an act of Congress (methinks).

However, the POTUS can declare Marshall Law in the event on an emergency. Does anybody know the particulars of Marshall Law in the US? It seems to me that in order to do this, the POTUS would have to either suspend (temporarily) or abolish (permanently) the Writ of Habeus Corpus. Well all know that Lincoln did just that, but did you know that FDR did it as well to imprison Japanese-Americans during WWII?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Strange, crime is going through the roof, people terrorised in their own homes by gangs of fourteen year old sociopaths, rapists and child killers let off on technicalities or released early to offend again, drug gangs actively controlling areas of our cities and towns with complete impunity. There's been a state of emergency for years but no ones had the forthought to enact legislation to deal with those people. Lets start by dealing with the domestic terrorists we already have on the streets of Britain.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Warnings that government plans for dealing with major terrorist attacks could threaten civil liberties have led to several amendments to a new bill, it emerged today.

Civil rights campaigners had accused the government of granting itself a "blank cheque" to impose massive restrictions on public liberties after Labour published the draft bill's plans for the aftermath of terrorist attacks or other emergencies back in June.

Government backs down on terror bill

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Seems this just like a UK version of the Patriot Act, this is definatly worrying news and i hope it never has to be used. I think we all realise its only a matter of time before it is though
Martial Law for all!

top topics

join