It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple Tips for Emergency Preparedness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This is a site put together by the Canadian Government which urges all citizens to have 72 hours of supplies at least in case of emergencies. It has many good tips which can be applied where ever you live. Link- www.getprepared.ca...

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
very nice sight. I find it better then the American sight. its easier to nivigate. The American sight is done in the usual American style. Big and complicated. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Good Post OP.

I would want more than 72 hours worth, but that's just me.

Where I live, we had an ice storm a few years back. My home was without power for 16 days. As a matter of fact, since we lived pretty far out in the country at that time, I couldn't make it to town the first week. But having had a survivalist mentality all my life, it wasn't really hard on us.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Thanks for your opinion. Didn't mean to be a thread killer AngryAmerican.I thought this would be a good post because it is simply laid out and easy to read. I too would want more than 72 hours of supplies.Last year my area suffered a terrible wind storm with severe damage from "downbursts".Some people on the outskirts of town were without power for 2 weeks and cut off from the city as main roads needed to be cleared of downed trees and power lines.This was a wake up call for many people. You must be prepared for anything to happen. Luckily there were only minor injuries and no deaths.It is not possible to be "over-Prepared."

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
On top of that, I would recommend a publication the Canadian government put out called "11 Steps To Survival". It has a lot of detailled information about nuclear attacks that many manuals don't mention. I knew of the official site at one point, but I can't seem to find it now. It's available all over the Internet though.

I would also recommend the U.S. Army Survival Manual FM 21-76 for something more thorough, which is also widely available online.

[edit on 11-6-2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I once carried both guides on my Treo as PDFs. They are extremely informative. I know them being on an electronic device won't last you too long. You'd be hard pressed if a lot of stuff happened at once. On my Treo it would have given me a day's study or 2 (which you still probably wouldn't have.) But if you just read through it as you go stuff sticks. You might get lucky and what sticks be helpful.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Thanks for your opinion. Didn't mean to be a thread killer AngryAmerican.

You didn't kill that thread it had pretty much run its course and done is its job. Ime noticing alot more flagging going on now, wich is all I wanted.

Here is another good sight to get PDF manuals from.
Simple survival

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Preparedness?!

All real men need is the Duck and Cover method.

The way the international politics are going (as well as the constant "threat advisory" from the administration) everyone may want to check out some shelter sites. Here's one of many. Also it wouldn't hurt to have a shelter when the coming United Police States of America kick in full gear.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Interesting thread and thanks posting these very important tips!
I have one of my own for people who live in tall apartment hi-rises:

-- keep your bathtub spic and span at all times because you never know when the electricity will go off due to a bad storm (usually sometime during the summer where it may be off for 3 or 4 days) and when it does, the first thing to do is to fill up the bathtub with water as soon as possible because usually within an hour or so after the electricity goes off, the water stops running too.

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thank you for all of those links. I have read and printed up a copy of the 11 Steps manual. There was a lot about fallout that I didn't know.

Some foods found to prevent radiation damage according to Japanese studies include:
Black Tea
Carotenes (such as those found in lots of orange and dark green foods)
Miso paste (eaten in miso soup)
and Kelp Seaweed

(I used to have a link to an article that outlined this but I seem to have misplaced it)

Also Spirulina (algae) was found to have a positive effect.
This webpage has excerts from "The Cancer Prevention Diet" and "Fighting Radiation with Foods, Herbs and Vitamins."

"There is no family of foods more protective against radiation and environmental pollutants than sea vegetables ... sea vegetables can prevent assimilation of different radionuclitides, heavy metals such as cadmium, and other environmental toxins."

I already take an algae supplement daily as a multivitamin, but it seems like it might be a good idea to have a bottle on hand in an emergency like that. I get mine from Simplexity (formerly Celltech.)

I would think that those little seaweed snackers from an asian foods market might be good too. I *like* eating seaweed so maybe I am a bit biased

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
In a natural disaster, you will need some paperwork. You have to decide for yourself just which ones. Think of a flood or tornado, where you have to flee and by the time you return, important papers could be destroyed.

Car tittles, home insurance papers, health insurance, safety deposit box key,passport/ID, etc...

Get the essential-can't get by without stuff-and put it in a small waterproof container. Put it where you can find it even in the dark. If you have to make a fast exit, and it's not an "end of the world" event, having these can put your life back in order a lot easier.

Most of all, keep a check to be sure they never get moved to a new spot, and drill it into everyone in the home not to move them.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a few things to say... one, obviously both US and Canadian gov't both know something big is bound to happen. This survival/emergency preparedness is the obvious foreshadow of the events to come. Two, do you really think if a global catastrophe was to happen that it would all be resolved in 72 hours? Three, Learn to live off the land, buy a few books on gardening/plants. Find out what plants are poisonous and which to avoid. Four, learn to build a makeshift home ex. lean-to, hut, bracken walls, if snow, igloo. And finally Five, try to stop depending on "McDonalds,BurgerKing,Wendys"...etc. to make your meals, try to begin rationing your self so it won't become a shock when you have to do for a while.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Improvise , Adapt , and OVERCOME !!

top topics

join