It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come it is so awkward being a atheist?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

with bigotry...

So says you. Others would say That I am right.

well.... the burden of proof is on whoever makes the damn postulation. you're postulating god exists. i'm not postulating anything. that means you have to prove that god exists

Yes you are you makeing claims that I am wrong. You make those claims all the time. And yet you cannot prove you words. Sounds to me we both have the same problems

[edit on 23-7-2007 by slymattb]

posted on Jul, 23 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
say what i say...
"i don't subscribe to that fairy tale crap"

right to the point

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
So says you. Others would say That I am right.

no, so says anyone. you are being bigoted
bigotry is a form of ignorance.
so you fail at ATS

Yes you are you makeing claims that I am wrong. You make those claims all the time. And yet you cannot prove you words. Sounds to me we both have the same problems

i'm not making a claim that something exists. i'm making a claim that you cannot support your hypothesis that a god exists. therefore, i'm REFUTING your claim, as all of my claims are those of refutation, the burden of proof still lies with you.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
so you fail at ATS

You don't have to be so rude to make your point. That was really unkind to say just because you disagree. You're veering off topic when you diverge into these personal battles.

How come it is so awkward being a atheist?

Really a good question. Why isn't it more difficult to say you believe in something you can't see? Doesn't that seem more logical? It does if you only focus on one aspect of the issue but look at it from a general broad perspective. We see and understand that the Universe, the Earth, and all the life forms it contains are infinitely complex. Theists (those who believe in a god) see this as clear evidence that there is a creator. Atheist on the other hand believe that all this order is an accident. A watch without a watchmaker if you will.

It's awkward to argue that there is no god based solely on the fact that you can't see or understand him. We can't see atoms even with the best microscope but we know that they exist because of their impact on their surrounding environment. Denying a creator is equally difficult because you're arguing against all the visible evidence that's around you. For every cry of "where's the science" I can show you people who ignore the Big Bang, the flagellum, etc.

Denying a creator is awkward because of the visible creation. Perhaps you're just agnositc and unsure. Don't be afraid to say so. Simply labeling yourself as "Christian" or "Catholic" is shallow. Say what you believe. Maybe you should challenge your friends on their beliefs. I'm always a fan of that. Of course if you want to avoid the topic altogether just change the subject, or find friends who are like-minded.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
so you fail at ATS

You don't have to be so rude to make your point. That was really unkind to say just because you disagree. You're veering off topic when you diverge into these personal battles.

um... i was responding to someone being a bigot that wasn't contributing to the thread and i'm getting called out...
ok, i was a bit harsh, i'll admit to it

and dbates... saying that we live in a creation is false. it's just a figure of speech that derived from times of ignorance when people didn't realize that things could come about naturally. it's not at all awkward to argue against the existence of any given deity... it's just really awkward to be constantly prodded for your lack of belief.

people just can't wrap their heads around you walking around without the crutch that they use, that's all.

[edit on 7/24/07 by madnessinmysoul]

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

no, so says anyone. you are being bigoted
bigotry is a form of ignorance.
so you fail at ATS

I am not the one being ignorance. Just because I dont believe what you believe just make me ignorance or stupid. That what the bible talk about y ou said it yourself. Blind faith. If any one is being ignorance it is you calling me a failer at the ATS.

i'm not making a claim that something exists. i'm making a claim that you cannot support your hypothesis that a god exists. therefore, i'm REFUTING your claim, as all of my claims are those of refutation, the burden of proof still lies with you.

YOUR MAKING CLAIMS TO SAY TO SAY THERE IS NO GOD. THERE IS BURNED OF PROOF THAT LIES ON YOU TOO, JUST AS MUCH AS ME. The only differents is what we both claim as proof.

Thanks dbates.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
I am not the one being ignorance. Just because I dont believe what you believe just make me ignorance or stupid.

i wasn't calling you ignorant or stupid for your beliefs. i was calling you ignorant for being bigoted. you came into this thread on discussing how it is dealing with society when you're an atheist... and you brought up that we might be wrong. it's not relevant to the conversation.

That what the bible talk about y ou said it yourself. Blind faith. If any one is being ignorance it is you calling me a failer at the ATS.

um, no, as i explained above, you were being ignorant for bringing up the issue of who is right and who is wrong in a discussion of the experience of being an atheist.

YOUR MAKING CLAIMS TO SAY TO SAY THERE IS NO GOD. THERE IS BURNED OF PROOF THAT LIES ON YOU TOO, JUST AS MUCH AS ME. The only differents is what we both claim as proof.

i never claim that there is no god. and stop using caps, it denotes screaming.
i merely claim that there is no evidence to prove the hypothesis you have proven forward, therefore said hypothesis falls flat on its face. i'm not claiming that there is no god, i'm merely concluding that there is no god because you cannot prove that there is.

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

i wasn't calling you ignorant or stupid for your beliefs. i was calling you ignorant for being bigoted. you came into this thread on discussing how it is dealing with society when you're an atheist... and you brought up that we might be wrong. it's not relevant to the conversation.

I answered the question as to the way I was thinking. Just because you dont like the answer does'nt mean a thing. And may I point out that I didnt give a long paragraph on why i might be right. I just start the fact the way he felt bad might be because he was wrong.

um, no, as i explained above, you were being ignorant for bringing up the issue of who is right and who is wrong in a discussion of the experience of being an atheist.

Again I was explaining and asking a question from my stand point. I wanted to know if he felt wrong cuz of his belief or ours.

i never claim that there is no god. and stop using caps, it denotes screaming.
i merely claim that there is no evidence to prove the hypothesis you have proven forward, therefore said hypothesis falls flat on its face. i'm not claiming that there is no god, i'm merely concluding that there is no god because you cannot prove that there is.

Yes you are you make the claim all the time. Proof lies with you too.
I am not here to argue with you mad. Its pointless. I was asking a question to which I didnt get a answer. You all the time respond to my post saying I am wrong. And you dont answer the question. Maybe you should stop worrying about my about my beliefs and weather if I am wrong or right.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join