It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sour Dough Starter recipes Do you have one?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I love to make Amish Friendship Bread. I am looking for recipes for "starter". I have a couple, and am willing to share. I am hoping to find some new ideas, and some new flavors.

So any Bread makers out there, I'd love to hear you thoughts.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I scanned this out of Julia Child's Cooking With Master Chefs.

This works well, especially with the grapes (make sure they have the yeasty growth on their skins):

Cug

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
My starter.

Mix 1/4 cup of water with 3/8 cup of rye flour (use rye to get things going.. the little yeasties love it)

Place in a warm area (about 75-85 F)

After 12 hours add another 1/4 cup of water with 3/8 cup of rye flour.

The next day discard half the starter and add another 1/4 cup of water with 3/8 cup of plain flour

The next day repeat. and so on.

Oh yea... Stir it 2 or 3 times ever day.

after 4 or 5 days it will be ready. (when it doubles in volume)

Whenever you refresh the starter remember to always at least double it by weight. (so if you have 8 oz of starter, you want to add flour and water until it gets to 16 oz)

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Im not to "hot" in the baking department, but i found these on my favorite recipe site, good ole food network.

Emerils Sourdough bread with starter

San Francisco Sourdough

Just the Sourdough starter

That looks happening Cug, ill have to give that a try. Like i said, im not much of a baker but ill try anything once, a bunch more if i like it.

[edit on 11-6-2007 by S1LV3R4D0]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This is really great. Thank you all for your info, and for your participation. ATS is so diverse that I know now that I can ask almost any question, and that there are folks on this site more than willing to help out.

I want to try all of your suggestions, so it is off to WalMart to get come more crocs to ferment the starters in. What great fun. I am begining to feel more like a chemist than a baker. Thanks again, and I am looking forward to more replies.

Cug

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   
BTW for anyone interested in baking bread I highly recommend this book The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart.

The first part of the book talks about the basics and bread making theory called the "twelve stages of bread".. what yeast does, how to shape loaves, putting it in the oven, etc.. then the rest of the books has some totally kick butt bread recipes.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I was looking around and you can get a bit of free starter by sending a SASE to these people:

home.att.net...

I'll probably try this myself...damned now I'm hungry for sourdough bread! :bnghd:

posted on Jul, 31 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I got back the Carl's Oregon Trail starter, I started feeding it yesterday and it's alive!

I should be able to bake with it in a day or two. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a fresh sourdough starter can be made by mixing a cup apiece of flour and water in a scalded jar, covering it loosely, and stowing it in a warm place to sour.
you want recipes for sourdough cake, sourdough biscuits, sourdough pancakes to go along with the starter recipe?

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I just made my first batch of bread using the Carl's Oregon Trail starter.

It's absolutely AMAZING!!! It has that wonderful, light tangy taste of sourdough, and is so active, you don't need to add any commercial yeast at all. The bread it makes is delicious, the best I've ever made. I think I'll just keep this starter alive and use it for everything, it tastes much better than active dry yeast breads.

I totally recommend sending the sase for this starter!

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
You guys are killing me with these food threads!
I absolutely love good sourdough bread. It's rare to find really good sourdough bread. Some of these places in San Fran have had their starter forever and the taste is out of this world.

I can say for a fact that the best sourdough bread I've ever had was at the Palm restaurant in that little mall right off of Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. Oh my God that was good bread!!!

Peace

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I have been testing all the different recipes posted here, and they have all been wonderful. Thanks for all the info. I have been waiting for the results of the Oregon Trail Starter. It sounds great. I sent off my request today. This has been so much fun. I can't wait for the Oregon starter to get here. I was foolish not to send for it sooner.

How could I go wrong....... If I go broke, I can use it for the mortar on a log cabin.

Thanks again to all of you.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I am pretty good around the kitchen, but this computer is a work in progress. I haven't figured out how to put your posts in quotes yet. So my solution is this:

WHITEWAVE I am sorry I didn't respond sooner. I would love to have any of your favorite recipes. It is always fun to try anything new. It is funny, but my neighbors always smell the gems cooking and come around to "just say Hi", just as they come out of the oven. I have no problem getting rid of the goodies. My problem is to keep them for the family.

DR. LOVE Sorry to get your mouth watering. If you are ever passing through Albuquerque, let me know. I'll meet you on I-40 and through you a loaf of sourdough friendship bread. It is great. Oh, by the way, we are going to Las Vegas in October, and will check out the Palm Restraunt. Thanks for the tip.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Sourdough Cake:

1 Cup of thick starter
1Cup of water
1.5 Cups of flour
1/4 Cup dry milk
1Teaspoon baking soda
Mix. Allow to ferment 2-3 hours in warm place til light and bubbly. In a separate bowl; mix:
2 Cups sugar
1/2 Cup shortening
1 Teaspoon vanilla
4 squares of bitter chocolate
2 egg yolks. Cream sugar and shortening til fluffy. Melt chocolate in double boiler and add to sugar mixture. Beat egg yolks and add the vanilla to them. Put in the salt and baking soda and mix with rest of stuff. Blend in sourdough mixture. Beat egg whites stiff and fold into batter. Pour into one large pan or 2 layer pans (greased). Bake at moderate heat (350) for 25-30 minutes.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Sourdough Pancakes:

2 Cups starter
1 egg
2 Tablespoons sugar
4 Tablespoons oil
1 Teaspoon baking soda
4 Tablespoons water
Mix starter, egg, sugar and oil til blended. In a separate cup (no metal) dissolve baking soda in water and gently fold into the batter. Spoon batter into greased pan in the usual way or use the inverted lid of a dutch oven. Feeds 3.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Sourdough Biscuits:

2 Cups starter
3/4 Teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons oil.
Enough flour to make a stiff dough. Mix all together. Roll out to 1/2 inch thich. Cut out biscuits. Cover with cloth and let rise one hour before baking for fluffier and lighter biscuits. Grease pan and bake or fry in pan. Makes one dozen.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I made these this morning, they were absolutely delicious:

Old-Fashioned Sourdough Pancakes

Great if you need to use up some starter to make room for more feedings!

[edit: fixed link]

[edit on 16-9-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I think this thread is going to be responsible for me gaining a thousand pounds or something... I'm already making a sponge for the next batch of sourdough! :w:

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I think this thread is going to be responsible for me gaining a thousand pounds or something... I'm already making a sponge for the next batch of sourdough! :w:

Isn't that the truth? I have been thrilled to get so much input. It is so much fun trying every thing out. But the trick is to make it, taste it and then share it with the neighbors, friends, and even passerbys. Just get it out of the house before you turn into a "sponge" yourself, as I have done.

Have you made the "Amish Friendship Bread" yet? Oh my goodness. It is really fabulous. If you need a recipe, let me know and I will post it.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PORCUPINEPIE
Have you made the "Amish Friendship Bread" yet? Oh my goodness. It is really fabulous. If you need a recipe, let me know and I will post it.

No I haven't made it...I've seen an online recipe though.

But, why don't you post yours anyway!

edit:

Let us know when you make some San Francisco sourdough bread from the Oregon Trail starter!

[edit on 8/8/2007 by djohnsto77]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join