It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers find sun's 'twin'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Astronomers say the sun has a twin in the left claw of Scorpio.

The solar twin is 18 Scorpii, located in the constellation Scorpio, a mere 46 light years from earth.

www.abc.net.au...

Interesting. Not known yet whether its useful information or not. But I liked this comment:

Villanova's Edward Guinan said there is a certain sport to finding the closest stellar match to the sun, but there is scientific value as well.

Sport!

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Wow thats cool and only 46 light years away, wonder how long a nuclear fusion probe or spaceship would take to travel there (when we build these craft and we will).

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
That is really cool, blobby i think once we are able increase our velocity and speed in space then who knows whats possible
Im sure im not the only one to predict it would be a new generation of space travel.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Nice find! This one's a keeper!

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Nice psyop work by these guys,

getting us ready for the true twin sun,

the dark star that returns.

good job!

wonder when they will advance to the next fact...?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I don't pretend to understand astrophysics, but can someone who does understand please explain to me how it's possible that our own sun's "twin" is 46 L.Y.'s away !!!
Do they mean they were created simultaneously or they are from the same pool of matter?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
erm isn't Alpha Centauri like 11 Light years away?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This is semantics deliberately designed to confuse people because it is a psyop to acclimitize people in reality.

What they are saying is that they found a sun that is like our own out there by scanning the heavens and this is the closest one they have found so far that is quite similar.

Question is why the obsession with finding a similar sun?

Well they think that it will have the ability to host us if need be with similar conditions to what we have.

But why?

What is going to happen that they are getting desparate to leave?

Did they tell us about it?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I'm sure it might have something to do with, similar sun, may lead to similar conditions for life....

As for

good job!

I tend to agree, that there is some kind of dark object orbiting a great distance, that's responsible for bringing in the ELE (Extinction Level Event) asteroids... Luckily, we've still got a few million years till it's due again. Can't remember exact number, but it was something like every 80 million years, 80% of life on Earth goes "poof"....last one taking out most of the dinosaurs (and the most well known one)... But, if you go back, you'll see that prior to that, there is a history of this...

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Question is how useful could the twin sun be if it does not have a rock planet orbiting at 93 million miles.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
BlackJackal,

not very useful to in my mind.

Gazrok,

what if this event was just around the corner in say mere decades?

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm sure it might have something to do with, similar sun, may lead to similar conditions for life....

As for

good job!

I tend to agree, that there is some kind of dark object orbiting a great distance, that's responsible for bringing in the ELE (Extinction Level Event) asteroids... Luckily, we've still got a few million years till it's due again. Can't remember exact number, but it was something like every 80 million years, 80% of life on Earth goes "poof"....last one taking out most of the dinosaurs (and the most well known one)... But, if you go back, you'll see that prior to that, there is a history of this...

im not sure where you get your numbers, but mine say that we are around 100,000 years overdue for one of these. discovery channel.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
According to this website: lilt.ics.hawaii.edu... the average millions of years it takes for an extinction level event to occur is 93.25. We are nearing our next extinction level event, since the last one was 65 million years ago. Anyway, the minimum years it has taken for an ELE to occur has been 37 million years and the maximum has been 143 million years.

Cretaceous (About 65 million years ago.)
Triassic (About 208 million years ago.)
Permian (About 245 million years ago)
Devonian (About 360 million years ago.)
Ordovician (About 438 million years ago.)

1. Ordovician - Devonian = 78 million years
2. Devonian - Permian = 115 million years
3. Permian - Triassic = 37 millions years
4. Triassic - Cretaceous = 143 million years

78+115+37+143=373

373/4=93.25 (avg million of years between ELE's)

As you can see, there seems to be a trend in the timing of ELE's. For example the amount of years decreases from #1 to #3 and the amount of years increases from #2 to #4. Although this pattern has not held true since we haven't had a ELE for 65 millions years (which it should have taken less than 37 million years to occur), it looks as if we are overdue for a ELE.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Yeah but it probably will not happen within our lifetime. And who know we might destroy ourselves before the next ELE takes place

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The article said that the twin was very similar to our own in many ways. It'd be really interesting if they found a planet orbitting that star similar to our own -- or any planet in that system that might be able to support life. Being so close to us makes it that much more exciting.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Cool, right? So we have the ele coming at us, and some wise group has handpicked all the smucks that get to go along on the space journey across the Milky Way.

Then the scene goes like this....Earth's remanant, full of hope arrives as planet E-2, 95, million miles from Sun II and on attempting to land, holy macaroni, folks! The planet nuveauz turns out to be inhabited by Indians, Aborigines, Africans and lots of monkeys engaged in nuclear arms races.

Do we land or do we just go skating along exploring space until we find an unihabited, but alive with flora and fauna world?

Personally, I think if an ele is headed our way withing the next 7 years, now and 2012, we and the Bilderbergs etc are toast. I don't see the technology necessary for prolonged sojourns across the vast distances of space.

For all of the speculation and whimsy posted on this bb and elsewhere on the net, we humans are simply unequipped to become true space travellers at this point in our evolution. It ain't gonna happen.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by radstar
we humans are simply unequipped to become true space travellers at this point in our evolution. It ain't gonna happen.

Yeah but you have to agree that all that will take is one big breakthrough to send our species to the stars.

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Yes, but what would that break through be? Developed artificial life that could monitor hibernating humans like worker bees do the eggs in the larva cases? Wharp or pulsar driven space vehicles? It's the distance that is the killer.

Not to mention that we haven't a machine suitable enough to send into outer space beyond our solar system.

How would you keep your colony alive thru the decades it would take to travel 44 billion miles?

We can't even build anything much bigger than a large rv to shoot past our atmosphere. What's the most we've sent into space? 8 people at one time, if my memory serves correct.

Now in our imaginations, so well stimulated by Roddenberry, Clark and Huxley, it seems we can do anything we visualize. The reality is far from the fantasy.

I don't think it will happen even in this century.

And no, I don't believe in all the hokey stuff about aliens and ufo's being real. No little gray hybrid is going to show us how to slips the bonds of our existence on earth.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
All good points radstar and I cannot question your logic on this matter, but science in the long term is almost always underestimated while the short term is almost always overestimated. I guess I just wanna believe that we'll be zippin' around the cosmos somday soon. One more thing, there is a NASA project ongoing right now to see wether or not Negative Energy(the Casimir effect) is really a necesary to warp space or create a stable wormhole. Cuz if NE isn't needed then Faster than light travel doesn't seem so implausible anymore.

And no, I don't believe in all the hokey stuff about aliens and ufo's being real. No little gray hybrid is going to show us how to slips the bonds of our existence on earth.

I don't believe it either because if Aliens were visiting they would potentially be thousands or millions of years ahead of us(technology wise). We wouldn't even know they were watching us unless they wanted to be seen. And since we are such a warlike race they would probably steer clear. But then again maybe the Gov is hiding its knowledge about ET's, even though I don't think they are the US can't even keep its weapons tech secret so i don't think they would be able to keep ET's secret for very long. But who knows there is so much we don't know that speculation about the future is just that speculation. Im sure H.G. Wells caught alot of flak for his version of the future and just look how right he was(well mostly right anyway). And as for what the breakthrough will be well we could come up with a Unified Field theory and like General Relativity it will spur a new wave of Scientific and Technological progress. So all im saying is when it come to the future keep your options open

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Everyone is talking about us not advancing quickly.... well, think about this in the 50s, they only has black and white TVs. a computer was the size of a shed. Nobody would have even imagined the internet. This has all arose and sooo much more in just 50 something years..... In the next 50 our inconceivable will happen...

I have faith in the human race!

top topics

join