It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avro Vulcan XM603: To be SCRAPPED?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I heard rumours about Vulcan XM603 will be scrapped, Is this true?.

It still seems to be in airworthy condition but only so many engines are still in running condition.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Hey Browno hows it going?
I did a quick search and pulled this up from another forum. I'll keep hunting and see what I can dig up. I hate to see these planes scraped honestly if i had the money I'd try to bring one to north america some where just to put it in safe hands.

A little while ago, we did a sort of audit of which Vulcans were likely to be scrapped over the coming years. XL391 was No 1 on the list, and XM603 was not far after simply because of the likelihood of the airfield being closed and redeveloped.

For a comparison, look at Hatfield - there was a preserved Trident there for many years, which, as soon as the change of use was granted for the airfield, had to be scrapped - no other choice.

So, put simply, if it is likely that Woodford will be closed in the next few years, it is equally likely that the Vulcan will be removed before that happens. What else can be done with it?

link: forum.keypublishing.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If you need more info contact these guys they can get you up to date and then post here so we can be too!!!

www.avroheritage.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
These lunatics... A couple of years ago they scrapped a Comet aswell. Why is there always money for errecting huge modern art sculptures which make no sense and which nobody wants, yet there is never money for preserving our heritage ?

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
she`s not airworthy - having been sitting for the best part of 25 years in the open - and like XH558 would need huge investment to get her off the ground again.

www.avrovulcan.org.uk...

edit

not strictly related but here is a gallery of shots taken from inside a vulcan and its crew positions

www.avrovulcan.org.uk...

[edit on 10/6/07 by Harlequin]

top topics

join