It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Front Mag FAMAS Possible?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Would it be possible to manufacture a FAMAS with the mag insert at the front?

If so, it would be the worlds best assault rifle made.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
If you had a forward mounted magazine on a Bullpup like the Famas, the action would also have to be at the front, consequently the barrel would be at the rear, i.e. you would shoot yourself.

An easier solution would be to simply turn the rifle around before firing, this should not be attempted unless you are either a stunt professional or French.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Browno

Why would it? The FAMAS is nothing special. One of its' defining factors is that it is a bullpup design, i.e. the workin parts are behind the pistol grip. There are plenty of traditional layout weapons tht are at least as useful if not more so, e.g. M16, G36 etc.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Browno

No it wouldnt be the best assault rifle because the fact iff you would place the mag up front you need to make the barrel longer and repositionate the trigger and its handgrip to make it comfortable to fire the weapon.

Such a redesign is too costley and it would be better to make a complete new weapon. lets call the weapon FAMAS 2

Cheers man

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
My knowledge of the FAMAS it is that it is a fairly reliable 5.56mm bulpup layout assault rifle. I had a chance to handle one a few years ago. the main thing that I noticed was that the front sight blade was like a mars bar which would do accuracy no good. Didn't get to fire it though, so I can't really comment too much.

Just out of interest Browno, exactly what is it about the FAMAS that makes it the be all and end all? I am genuinly interested.

[edit on 10-6-2007 by PaddyInf]

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
Just out of interest Browno, exactly what is it about the FAMAS that makes it the be all and end all? I am genuinly interested.

His fetish for delayed blowback action.

Really, the FAMAS is nothing special. It has acceptable reliability, but loses big time in the ergonomy field. The FAMAS is like a Citroen DS (the "goddess"): a very special design that has its fans, with interesting, possibly groundbreaking features like the bipod or the then-uncommon bullpup layout.

But given the choice you´d take a weapon a bit more down-to-earth.

new topics

top topics

join