It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do they get away with this ?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This Site is using leet-speak
to have a major swear word acceptable in television advertising.

Breakdown : Whu = What, da = The, fx = F-word, Up.

Put them together.

How did this get by the FCC ?

Puzzled,
Lex

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I haven't seen that ad on television.

Have you seen it on television?

The FCC regulations were recently deemed by the court to be too vague.

They are in the process of rewriting them, I believe and there may be things that slip by.

The Federal Communications Commission's crusade against obscenity suffered a setback this week when a federal appeals court panel slapped down regulations mandating large fines for those who inadvertently broadcast cusswords.

In doing so, the judges injected a much-needed dose of reality into an issue blown out of proportion by such incidents as Janet Jackson's 2004 Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction and celebrity cursing at awards shows.

The three-judge panel in New York, by a 2-1 margin, found that the FCC had failed to constitutionally justify why it had decided to reverse previous policy and penalize networks for incidents involving brief, unplanned outbursts of profanity. Until now the agency had tolerated such unscripted violations of its decency rules. The court panel directed the FCC to rewrite the regulation, noting, "We are skeptical that the commission can provide a reasoned explanation for its 'fleeting expletive' regime that would pass constitutional muster."

www.chron.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I seen another another one where he was dressed as a big furry animale playing with kids in a park. I seen the commercial on NBC or CBS cant remember but I did see it on tv. Here is another one.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I haven't seen these ads, but if they bother you, complain to the stations that run them and get your friends to do the same.

Contact cable companies and enlist the aid of community leaders, such as politicians, church leaders, and youth leadership organizations.

If enough people complain, then either they will have to pull the ads or someone will have to change their name.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I probably wouldnt have even thought twice about it but my 9 year old girl was watching tv with me and she reads very well. I didnt say anything but I could tell she understood what they were saying. Its kinda shocking now that I think about it. I think they are going to hurt there campaign with this garbage talk.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have to say, I fail to see what the big deal is.

So they flashed 'leetspeak' that translates into a sentence that some people find profane,
so what, it's hardly the end of the world.

Personally I dislike the FCC, and consider them to be far to overbearing as it is,
that and horribly hypocritical, they allow a topless woman, uncensored if she has pain
on her breasts, but blur out the majority of a mans body if he's naked, even if he
has paint all over his body.

Anyways, I could care less if this is on TV or not.

[edit on 6/10/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I probably wouldnt have even thought twice about it but my 9 year old girl was watching tv with me and she reads very well.

Yeah, the kids will get it, but very many adults who don't spend a lot of time on the internet will not notice at all.

I consider it to be offensive and I think that others who do should voice their dissatisfaction with it.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I have to say, I fail to see what the big deal is.

So they flashed 'leetspeak' that translates into a sentence that some people find profane,
so what, it's hardly the end of the world.

Personally I dislike the FCC, and consider them to be far to overbearing as it is,
that and horribly hypocritical, they allow a topless woman, uncensored if she has pain
on her breasts, but blur out the majority of a mans body if he's naked, even if he
has paint all over his body.

Anyways, I could care less if this is on TV or not.

[edit on 6/10/2007 by iori_komei]

How can you be a leader and care less what is being shown to our kids on tv?

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Howis some mild cussing, or in this case leetspeak, which only a certain group will even understand,
being flashed for a second bad for kids?

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Howis some mild cussing, or in this case leetspeak, which only a certain group will even understand,

It's not bad for kids. It's bad for parents and they're the ones who pay the bills. They're the ones who make the rules.

Of course, the best action is to severely limit access to broadcast and cable television to kids, but not many poeple are really willing to do that.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Grady,
Yes, I have seen these ads. There are quite a few of them.
I'm quite appalled that they can get away with this.

Iori,
Normally I agree with your opinions, but to label this "mild cussing"
when it represents the F-word is beyond my comprehension. Exactly
what would you consider extreme ? Many profanities linked together ?

Thanks everyone for the responses,
Lex

Edit to add : I just e-mailed The Chairman, and one of the Commissioners
of the FCC with my concerns.
I'll let ya'll know what I find out.

[edit on 11-6-2007 by Lexion]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lexion
Exactly what would you consider extreme ? Many profanities linked together ?

Basically, yes, many linked together, or the use of degrading hate terns like f*ggot, n*gger etc.

Even than though I don't think they should be censored, a warning before the show starts yes,
but I don't believe in censorship like that.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   

You must not really care what is being taught to our kids as far as right and wrong. And using the F word around 9 year olds is wrong.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   

You must not really care what is being taught to our kids as far as right and wrong. And using the F word around 9 year olds is wrong.

of course I care what is taught to them (technically I was a kid 2 years ago),
but I do not see the problem in this.

And besides that my idea of right and wrong are not the same as someone else's.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The reason the FCC hasn't made a move on these adds is because they are Canadian. They air here on a regular basis. Thank god for that. It's shock value. If they keep one kid who's parents don't give a fx from smoking, KUDO'S. If the CRTC(equivalent to the FCC in a PC country) doesn't have a problem with this, I don't see why Americans do.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The reason the FCC hasn't made a move on these adds is because they are Canadian. They air here on a regular basis. Thank god for that. It's shock value. If they keep one kid who's parents don't give a fx from smoking, KUDO'S. If the CRTC(equivalent to the FCC in a PC country) doesn't have a problem with this, I don't see why Americans do.

They are airing in florida also. And I cant believe people think its ok to put the F word on tv that kids are watching.
We shouldnt teach our kids that these kind of things are OK. There are a lot of more positive ways to tackle smoking.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I've seen all these commercials and that is the last thing I noticed. Seriously speaking I really didn't pay any attention to it until you mentioned something.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
So, it's ok to air swear words to keep children from smoking ?

How low have we sunk. Sad, so very sad.

Is smoking bad ? Of course.

Should children be taught not to smoke ? Of course.

Should the F-Word be used in ads to get their attention ? No.

Ultimately, parents...yes PARENTS have the responsibility to
teach their children. NOT television ads. Especially ads that
use "leet speak" to circumvent regulations.

If you think it's OK for television to minister to our children,
much less using this type of language, please see This
thread. It deals with how our society is becoming fodder for
the media.

Please, please think about this and think carefully.

Off the cuff statements are easy. In this instance, rational and thoughtful
consideration is necessary.

Thanks for the replies,
Lex

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I don't see the difference between this and some of the music that's on the radio, or any number of shows on TV where they just hit the "beep" button when someone actually says a cuss word but you can still hear enough of the word to know what they said. And really, if parents are teaching their kids the difference between right and wrong it doesn't matter what they hear someone else say. If you teach them right, they won't say it. Or you can go medieval on them and forbid them to watch TV except pre-approved preschooler shows, forbid them to get on the internet except to nick.com, and forbid them to listen to the radio because they might hear something that you don't agree with them hearing.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather teach my son what is appropriate, what's not, and the difference between right and wrong myself rather than have some paranoid watch group decide what it's ok for my child to hear and see. I don't let him watch really violent movies, (not because I think he'll become violent but because I think he's too young to understand it's just pretend and I don't want him to have nightmares) and I don't let him watch anything with nudity (once again, he's too young to understand). But other than that, if I'm watching it he can watch it. If he hears a cuss word he knows that he's not supposed to repeat it. I've taught him that it's not nice to use those words and so he doesn't, no matter if he hears it on TV or from someone in person. It's called responsible parenting.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
[ Originally posted by Tetraspace

I've seen all these commercials and that is the last thing I noticed. Seriously speaking I really didn't pay any attention to it until you mentioned something.

Thank you for the reply, and showing what I'm trying to get
across. (not saying anything negative about you, Tetra)

Most adults will see this, not recognize it, and disregard it.

While, children that are 'net and text savvy get the saying, immediately.

The people who started this campaign are sly. Oh, are they sly.

Regards,
Lex

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join