It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filly Wins Belmont Stakes, First Time in 102 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The filly "Rags to Riches" won the Belmont Stakes -- the first time a filly won the race since 1905

ap.org

NEW YORK (AP) -- Rags to Riches can beat the boys, too. The fabulous filly outdueled Curlin in a breathtaking stretch run and won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, becoming the first of her sex to take the final leg of the Triple Crown in more than a century.

No one was happier with the victory than trainer Todd Pletcher and jockey John Velazquez, who both ended long droughts in Triple Crown races: Pletcher was 0-for-28, Velazquez 0-for-20.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

You go girl!!!

[edit on 6/9/2007 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 6/9/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
You go girl!!!

I was fascinated by this.

I don't know enough about horses to understand why this would be such a rarity.

Anybody?

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I'm guessing it would be the same as humans racing each other, Males are anitomically larger and stronger, therfore generally faster.

But Horse racing is bad!

Horse racing = gambling.

Gambling = debt.

Debt = crime.

Crime = screwed up familys.

Bad bad bad... Send them all to the glue factory or turn them in to dog food.

Sorry - like animals hate gamblers...

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Well, I guess there is hope for Danika Patrick, after all.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Well, I guess there is hope for Danika Patrick, after all.

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is funny.

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius

Anybody?

One word - testosterone.

That generally puts the fairer sex at a disadvantage in things like this, both people and horses.

[edit on 6/11/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 11 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by Essedarius

Anybody?

One word - testosterone.

That generally puts the fairer sex at a disadvantage in things like this, both people and horses.

[edit on 6/11/2007 by djohnsto77]

Apart from in the old Eastern block.

Have you seen the state of those Bulgarian women! Enough hair on their backs to knit a jumper.

JbT

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If you know nothing about horse racing, Ill tell you that it was maybe a once in a hundred year type thing.

We may never see another Filly race with the attitude, composure (after a stumble at the gate), and determination that Rags to Riches personafide.

It brought a tear to my eye for some reason. I think it was the stumble at the gate that made it so emotional for me. 10 seconds in, I thought she was done cause of that stumble, but by end of the last turn you could see her kick it up another gear.... Then the shot of the jockey chearing her on over the line..... that was poetry. Love it.

JbT

posted on Jun, 12 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If you know nothing about horse racing, Ill tell you that it was maybe a once in a hundred year type thing.

We may never see another Filly race with the attitude, composure (after a stumble at the gate), and determination that Rags to Riches personafide.

It brought a tear to my eye for some reason. I think it was the stumble at the gate that made it so emotional for me. 10 seconds in, I thought she was done cause of that stumble, but by end of the last turn you could see her kick it up another gear.... Then the shot of the jockey chearing her on over the line..... that was poetry. Love it.

new topics

top topics

join