It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks like Water on Mars to me!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
space.newscientist.com...

Mars rover finds "puddles" on the planet's surface

I also see bits of green in there too, the picture released to the public leaves a lot to be desired however, I think it's pretty safe to think what this is, and what it might mean.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
HOLY SMOKES!

Here's a High Resolution Photo, I think it's the same picture!

THAT is most definitely WATER

www.flickr.com...

jra

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Note that this is a false colour image. The blue area isn't necessarily water, not all of it anyway. I don't deny that there is water on Mars, but personally, I don't really see anything in this image that could be water. But here's hoping they come across similar features again and can test this further.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
promomag's picture looks pretty convincing to me. Of course that could be the New Mexico desert, for all I know.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
looks like sand coloured in blue. How would nasa miss this? im doubting its really water.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Water doesn't look like that close-up. This picture is only supposed to be one square meter.

I say false color image too.

[edit on 6/9/2007 by djohnsto77]

jra

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I also noticed that they said in the caption of the image was of the "crater floor". That's incorrect. The features that had exposed rock were along the rim of the crater, thus on a slop. How does water pool on a slop?

Here is a panoramic shot of Endurance crater.
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
what are thos really fine blue things they are like small bubbles, and that does look like muddy water to me. I dont no why only a small portion was found i mean the mars rover must be near more of this strange phenomenon..Oh well maybe in time.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Did any of you look at the high resolution image?

www.flickr.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by promomag
Did any of you look at the high resolution image?

Of course, the answer to that would be a resounding "NO!"

It's kind of hard to deny ignorance when you're too lazy to read a four post thread and click a couple of links.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   
People should click the links

antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov...

They are important.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
It does look like water to me. But then Grady is right it could be our dry desert after a little sprinkle we are lucky to get occasionally.

Why would anyone lie about this subject?

Are there any optomists out there?

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
What if other life forms do not need water? Why is water such a big deal

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
if its water on mars, water in our backyard or water in gods armpit, It looks like its flowing reguardless of where it is.

Can the ice on mars melt? an flow? I thought it would evaporate and try to freeze at the same time due to the climate.

anywho, this is sumthing that nasa wont release cuz they prolly dont know what the hey it is.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I can't find the thread, but this is a picture I posted in it, if it triggers anyones memory:

Bottom right corner looks a LOT like water, but the same 'water' appears in other parts of the pic, and looks less and less like water.
It's ridiculous, all this arguing about whether liquid water is on Mars. If it was there, then we'd know about it. There wouldn't be all this shilly shallying about inconclusive evidence.

[edit on 9/6/2007 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I must be crazy.. I thought the mars surface was red. I'm not biting on this one.

posted on Jun, 9 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
dunno which thread to post this in...so i will copy it over here and leave it alone.

OK...so here goes.

Zorgon, RikRiley, Undo, and Bluebird are much more adept at this discussion than myself. Hopefully one of them will swing by here (or you will swing by this thread to see an in depth discussion: www.abovetopsecret.com...)

this is not the only sign of water. Where is the visible water? that is a good question. Obviously, one possibility would be in the soil. If this is true, then that would explain the soggy tracks behind the lander.

No, mars is not a frozen wasteland. it is alive, with plant life confirmed, and obvious signs of ancient habitation. The temperature there can range up to 80 degrees...not bad, even for Florida.

Pictures of proof of water (copied from the other, aforementioned, thread):

Lakes:

Why would they release the photo that started this thread, but not this one?:

What died next to this pond?:

More muddy tracks:

Occasionally the ice in the soil melts a little more and runs downhill (like water does):

Water on Mars is nothing new. Go figure.

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

What died next to this pond?:

would there be ripples on mars (wind?) or would it be from rover or what? it also looks like a skull a bit to the left along the "coast" if you will

kinda looks like a rock though

anyhow yea water wouldn't surprise me.

Dan

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DollyDagger

would there be ripples on mars (wind?)

Does this answer your question?

“The problem is, there are winds on Mars….

space.newscientist.com

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I predict that by 2012 there will be video of flowing water on Mars. With the current solar-system warming, called "global warming" here on Earth, there's a very good chance that the atmosphere on Mars will increase to the point where liquid water can exist year round.

wiki: During the Maunder Minimum in the 17th Century there were hardly any sunspots at all. This coincides with a period of cooling known as the Little Ice Age.

More sunspots means a warmer period in the solar system: "global warming."

NASA predicts that there will be a very intense Solar storm in 2012, with the sunspot cycle being at its maxima. NASA also stated that this storm will be 30% to 50% greater than the previous storms. As the Sun builds up to a possibly 50% stronger solar storm, there should be (and is currently) a period of increased warming in the solar system and here on Earth.

NASA also predicts that the Sun will also reverse its own magnetic poles during 2012 as result of reaching the end of current 11-year sunspot cycle. Some believe this will amplify the effects of retarding magnetic field on earth, as harmful charged particles blasted away from the sun would more easily penetrate the earth's atmosphere. And it goes without saying that a planet like Mars with sparse magnetic fields and thin atmosphere will be affected to a greater degree by the Sun's polar reversal and solar storm.

The atmosphereic pressure on Mars is 6millibars, less than 1% of the atmosphere on Earth. At such low pressure, water sublimates when heated. That is to say that it goes from ice to vapor, skipping the liquid stage. This does not allow for bodies of water to form and move around easily. However, if only one meter of ice were to sublimate or evaporate and remain in a gaseous state, the atmospheric pressure would have risen to about 0.1 atmospheres. This would be enough to allow surface water to remain liquid anywhere from its freezing point up to a temperature of 65°C. Fog banks and clouds would also add a greenhouse effect, resricting night time loss of surface heat. (paraphrased from Dr. LaViolette PhD.)

Taken together, if most people arn't convinced of water on Mars, they probably will be in only a few years. The relatively young water-created features on Mars reveal recent changes in Mars's climate. Geologists have noted that many of the features on Mars (lacustrine terraces (old lakes) and Gilbert-type deltas) could only exist if lakes had persisted on Mars's surface for 103 to 104 years.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join