It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

53% of Americans Believe in Evolution...66% of Americans Believe in Creationism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Link to the Poll

i'm just confused. this could either mean that we're getting better (52% in evo) or worse (66% in creation) in terms of science standards...

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I personally believe evolution and creation both are correct.I have never understood the debate, too be quite honest. Evolution is simply the mechanism God used to create.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
You cannot BELIEVE in evolution !!! It's in no ways a belief system.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I just have to ask. I'm not real good at math, but 66 and 53 don't seem to add up too being 100% right.

Or is this that new math they started teaching a while after I left school?

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
I just have to ask. I'm not real good at math, but 66 and 53 don't seem to add up too being 100% right.

The extra 19% or so must be illegal aliens

God, I hate polls.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736

After reviewing the link provided I think they are the actual number of responses to each question and not the percentage.

edit to add: after reviewing again each question does add up to 100% of total responses, so there are obviously people who believe in both evolution and creationism.

[edit on 8-6-2007 by etshrtslr]

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
It's simple, while 53% of those polled believed in evolution, 66% believed in both evolution and creation. They probably believe as I do.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I would like to see the results from a poll asking if people believe the earth is 6000 years old...

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemithesis
I would like to see the results from a poll asking if people believe the earth is 6000 years old...

I certainly don't.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nemithesis

To be honest, I wouldn't want to know the results.
If it's anything like the poll above, it might make me lose hope in humanity.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Someone,please,please, freaking explain to me why this is even a debate!! I have never understood the evolutionist vs. creationist debate at all. To me, there is nothing to debate.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
The debate arises on the topic how our universe and ultimately how we came into existance.

creationism says there is a supreme being that not only made the universe, life on our planet but that humans were created as a different species and thus did not evolve from less advanced forms of life.

evolutionism says that everything well ... evolved. That we do in fact descend from less advanced forms of life and that our universe wasn't created by a supreme being.

I dont know about you but the two are quite different, which would in fact spark a debate quite easily.

btw, I belong to the latter group of the two...

edit: clarification

[edit on 8-6-2007 by koenw]

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Not to me. No where in the bible does it state what Adam and Eve physically looked like. No where. True, it says that they were "made in God's image," but I take that to mean that their spirit was made in God's image, which is light.

Evolution could very well be true, and still not disprove anything that the bible states.

[edit on 8-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 8-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Evolution could very well be true, and still not disprove anything that the bible states.

That is true Speaker.

Many christians and other theists have absolutely no issue with evolutionary theory. It's the literalists/fundamentalists who have the problems, but I guess they worship a book rather than some sort of god.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Link to the Poll

i'm just confused. this could either mean that we're getting better (52% in evo) or worse (66% in creation) in terms of science standards...

It says in verse 2 of Gen. The earth was without form...
So it had to have been there before. So who knows-If I think about it I only get a headache hehe. There are some things not meant to be figured out.

There is a interesting read that is mentioned in the Bible twice- Its called the book of Jasher. This is something I would like to look into more.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin

Many christians and other theists have absolutely no issue with evolutionary theory. It's the literalists/fundamentalists who have the problems, but I guess they worship a book rather than some sort of god.

Melatonin, unfortunately, that is probably correct. As a theist, I really have no problem with the theory of evolution. However, it seems that there are still those who do. I am at my string's end trying to figure out why. I understand the reasons people give, but to be quite frank, they don't really wash with me.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Granted that's your view on the subject, but Creationism does imply that we humans were put here on earth and that we haven't 'changed' (spiritually, physically, ...) since that being created the human race.

Creationism also says this event (creation of the universe, human race) took place in the last 10 000 years.

So evolution does NOT work with creationism.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Speaker,

The problem is, there are alot of theists, monotheists to be specific, who believe the story of creation in the book of Genesis word for word. They think that Adam was really the first human, and Eve was really made from his rib, and all that stupid #.

The truh is Adam and Eve are probably one of the most early human families or tribes already existing during the same time as Adam and Eve.

For if they werent, we all know the human genepool wouldve been permanently damaged had there only been 1 couple to start the human race. That would mean we are all retarded.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I guess I believe in both... I think the hand of God (not the white dude on a cloud God btw) guides evolution. That evolution is a process by which God allows the expression of different facets of creation to exist. Kind of like making up some rules, then trying them out to see if they work.

How boring for God would it be to create everything static without any change, everything "perfect" from day one... sounds like a hellishly boring thing to witness imo, especially for eternity.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by koenw

Creationism also says this event (creation of the universe, human race) took place in the last 10 000 years.

Well, then it is a faulty form of "creationism." I don't know of any honest theist that buys into the whole "Earth is only 6000 years old," argument.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join