It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black hole discovered 13 billion light-years from Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Its been an exciting couple of months for discoveries in space.
And it continues with this one................

(YahooNews)-The most distant black hole ever found is nearly 13 billion light-years from Earth, astronomers announced today. The Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope spotted the bright burst of light the black hole created as it sucked up nearby gas, heating it and causing it to glow very brightly in what's known as a quasar.

news.yahoo.com...

Full story
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Very enlightening topic, but it kind of sucks!

Okay, bad puns aside. This is a great find! Thanks for posting the article! I never actually knew what a quasar was, but now I do...

Still blows my mind thinking about any distance in the form of a light year and just how enormous space really is (and that's an understatement).

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Its amazing how far away this is. Makes you wonder what the universe looks like right now!? what is in that space that this quasar was in 13 billion years ago! We won't know what it looks like now for another 13 billion years.. THAT is immense. Earth ost likely won't even be here anymore.. wow!

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
Its amazing how far away this is. Makes you wonder what the universe looks like right now!? what is in that space that this quasar was in 13 billion years ago! We won't know what it looks like now for another 13 billion years.. THAT is immense. Earth ost likely won't even be here anymore.. wow!

That is the same thing that i was going to bring up. 13 BILLION light years away... man... thats incredible.

Isn't a light year about 5,878,625,373,184 miles? If so then that black hole is 76,422,129,851,392,000,000,000 miles away. Yes thats sextillion...

new topics

top topics

join