It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New race incident on British Big Bother reality show.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Once again the British Big Bother reality show finds itself in the middle of another race incident.

Emily, a 19 year old housemate used the word "N****r as she spoke to a black girl that she was dancing with.

A Big Brother housemate has been booted out by Channel 4 after using a racially offensive word.
Contestant Emily Parr was removed from the house in the early hours of this morning after using the word "'n-word'".

Emily has been booted outEmily was dancing with Charley and Nicky in the living room of the Big Brother house at approximately 8.30pm last night.

She was heard to say "Are you pushing it out you 'n-word'?" to Charley.

Emily made clear that she had not intended to offend and that the comment had been meant as a joke.

Source: Big Brother race incident

Much discussion going on about this here in Britain.

Channel 4 are in enough deep water over the recent celebraty BB row involving Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty, and last nights airing of the Princess Diana documentary.

Possiblity that they kicked her out because they had to be seen to do something.

This does'nt appear to have been said in a nasty way, more as the typical way that some people in the black community talk to each other.

One view is that BB has done the right thing in kicking her out for using this disgusting word, another is that people need to decide once and for all whether this is offensive or not and if black people can call each other it, when talking in a friendly manner, than why can't a white person use this word?

Hopefully this won't spark another huge row like the last one did. Burning effigies is a bit much for what is essentialy a programme containing celeb wannabes with little between thier ears!

CX.

[edit on 7/6/07 by CX]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Nigger was one of the codewords used in the WWII Dambusters mission.

Like most such words it's only offensive if used with offensive intent. Or if you're a white, middle classed, liberal bigot with a massive chip on your shoulder because you're not an oppressed minority....

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Like most such words it's only offensive if used with offensive intent. Or if you're a white, middle classed, liberal bigot with a massive chip on your shoulder because you're not an oppressed minority....

Thats the thing tho, one black person can say it to another and its fine yet when a white person uses the word with out offensive intent like the girl in big brother your a racist, which in its self is racists, basically its you cant use that word because your white!!, its just like saying you cant sit on that seat your black. Fair enough if you've used the word with malicious intent your out of order, but to use it in a joke like she did i don't see the problem, after all its only a word.

as for 'n-word' being used as a code word in dambusters mission, one of the pilots of the lancaster bombers had a dog who was called 'n-word'.

also what a wonder full way of getting rid of some of the contestants, just play the racisit card, its dog eat dog in big brother they all want to win and get there hands on the cash, and get celebrity status(albiet it only last a few months) so i can see this being used as leverage.

[edit on 7-6-2007 by u4ria]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   
first off i'd like to know what black people think when white people call other white people 'n-word's(suburban kids)

I also think black people need to get over it so we can all move on, yet i also think white people(especially the ones in America like me) deserve it. I also think being called "white boy" is worse than being called "cracker" or "honkey". but i guess none of those have any oppression associated with them.

but then there is the fact that this was on a reality show and people on reality shows deserve the worst of all insults hurled at the all day

posted on Jun, 10 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaDewd
first off i'd like to know what black people think when white people call other white people 'n-word's(suburban kids)

Hah, yeah, really! Back in high school we had a few people who would always say stuff like "wassup my niggaz" when they came into a room and recognized other students they knew. But the funny thing was we were all suburban white kids (not a single black student in the entire school) - they were just trying to act in a way they thought was cool, something it appears this girl was attempting also.

I agree with the "honkey","cracker", "white boy" comments, notice how everyone in the thread referred to "'n-word'" as "n-word", but honkey, cracker, etc. aren't "h-word", etc. As your average suburban-raised middle-class white boy, I can tell you that I can't even think of a name somebody could call me that I'd find offensive - whether they intended to offend or not. It's gotta be the past oppresive association of names like you noted because I doubt we're that much tougher-skinned than other groups.

posted on Jun, 23 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

top topics

join