It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Academics Discuss Boycott of Israel - Blair Incensed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

British Academics Discuss Boycott of Israel - Blair Incensed

news.bbc.co.uk

Prime Minister Tony Blair has urged British academics to abandon discussion of a boycott of Israeli universities.

At Prime Minister's questions, Mr Blair told the Commons it would do absolutely "no good for the peace process".

Last week, members of the University and College Union agreed to further debate plans to cut all links with Israeli academic institutions.

Union members expressed concern over the treatment of the Palestinians in terms of accessing education.

Mr Blair agreed with Labour MP Andrew Dismore, who said the boycott was "misguided" and "undermined academic freedoms" and contributed "absolutely nothing to trying to bring peace to the Middle East".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I hadn't heard of this until Blair made his comments. I'm not sure what good it would, or whether it is just a statement to be made against Israel by the Academics, but at the very least I suppose it raises awareness of what is going on out there in the Middle East.

The motion to discuss the boycott was carried with 58% of the vote at a meeting of the UCU (University and College Union).

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

join