It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you have to eat but all there are is other people..what do you do?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
What was that twilight episode about the cookbook? Great show that was.

Your right though NG.. a full stomach has a brain. Empty stomach has instinct.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2

Isnt being humane an alleviation of suffering.

I don't know where you get that reasoning from. Most of mankind's greatest achievements came from suffering. Ie: war= antibiotics.

If everyone thought as you then we would be doomed because we would all starve to death.(in this particular scenerio)

Think that way if you want Hannibal, but my way and humanity will still have a soul. A place above the animals of the planet, which we already run due to our intelligence. Please don't lower us to that level.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
if eating you keeps me alive until the helicopter shows up or gives me the strength to get to civilization then ill deal with the psychological effects later. id be glad to make it far enough to have the luxury of dealing with my own demons. we weren't put here to have everything handed to us, although technology may have us think so. simply giving up because its "not easy" or "immoral" is lazy and IMO cowardice. i fear as a species our technological up bringing has ruined our ability to adapt to the perils of our surroundings and thus destroyed our ability to evolve without it. we rely on everyone to take care of us anyway, why not eat them. what better way to have someones legacy live on than with the ultimate sacrafice for the promotion of the species as well as a BBQ.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
simply giving up because its "not easy" or "immoral" is lazy and IMO cowardice.

Morals equal cowardice? Thank you for that post. Now I know you are just a keyboard warrior that wouldn't be able to go through with what you purport. Our species might just have a chance.

i fear as a species our technological up bringing has ruined our ability to adapt to the perils of our surroundings and thus destroyed our ability to evolve without it. we rely on everyone to take care of us anyway, why not eat them. what better way to have someones legacy live on than with the ultimate sacrafice for the promotion of the species as well as a BBQ.

And yet we have still survived millenia without succumbing to being animals. Thanks for the discussion friend. Now that I know you don't really mean it, I can have a shower and relax. The shower was a given earlier, not the relaxing.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
In all but the cold climates, where there are people there are insects. Death's microbial activity attracts insects, insects attract animals, animals taste good. I'd eat insects and anything else before my own species. There may be scenarios where this not possible.

I suggest a screen covering whatever (hopefully not human) dead stuff so as to avoid chompin' on bugs that have been munching your bait. Catch em' before, well you know.

There have been examples of canablism in cold weather in modern times. Those folks were able to rationalize doing that - a Brazilian football club in an air crash in the Andes if I'm not mistaken. I think there was a quickie book about it called Alive! I did not read it.

I'm unclear as to what I'd do in a similar emergency situation unless I had it acually happening to me. It's hideous and I almost wish I'd never read this thread. Pandora's out. Ethics data-bomb. You may have to live with yourself and look at your reflection, if one were to survive and others, what if other people became aware of one's gastronomic choice? Choice. That's right choice, like Intrepid inferred. One could do the dignified thing or one could choose to live in the self-knowledge of their actions forever. Haunting.

It strikes at the very heart of human morals based reasoning and conjures imagery of dire suffering and misery on a wide scale without hope. Is there a specific term for traitor to one's own species? There should be...

The Canadian record for cold weather emergency survival without gettin' a Dahmer-burger is 56 or 58 days. Fella named Gauchie here's a CBC link to some video and the story from the 1960's.

Vic

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:32 PM
link   
People have been starving in Africa for years. At least that's what they tell us on the TV. Do they eat each other?

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Morals equal cowardice?

in a life or death situation, yes i feel replacing the will to survive with morals is cowardice. whatever happened to survival of the fittest. i assure you, in the correct set of circumstances i would eat another human being and the worst mistake you could ever make would be to underestimate my will to live.

on a side note, i insert my humor because of how uncomfortable this conversation actually makes me... because i know what i would do and it scares the hell out of me to even think about it. humor only helps me speak the unspeakable, but don't think for one second i wouldn't do what i have to!

[edit on 6/6/2007 by bokinsmowl]

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Intrepid, lighten dude. This is just a 'what if' thread. Don't let the distastefulness of it trip you out.

Personally, I doubt 95% of the people in a sit-x will last near long enough for starvation to be a problem that could only be solved by eating your neighbor. In a major sit-x, food will not likely be as much of a problem as a lot of other health issues.

So, I'm back off down the hall to get us a brew, and I'm drinking them both in the hope it will relax us. Good plan, huh?

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bokinsmowl
but don't think for one second i wouldn't do what i have to!

[edit on 6/6/2007 by bokinsmowl]

I would respond to this bokin but it would probably lead to me being demodded and banned in one post.

One word though......... Inhuman. Good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
The Japanese resorted to eating the calves and thighs of enemy combatants in Papua New Guinea during WW2. They had no supplies (or morals) left, either they died or they ate what was on hand. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if it was cooked, raw would be way too seedy. God! Just the images it conjures up make me wanna bait!

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
So, I'm back off down the hall to get us a brew, and I'm drinking them both in the hope it will relax us. Good plan, huh?

Gotcha dude. MILLER TIME.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
What a strange post for the Survival Forum.

Instead of that. Put down your beer and learn survival techniques. It's not necessary to eat other people.

To answer your question. I've had a year of intensive survival training. I made it through a week in the winter at high elevation and a month in the desert in the summer. None of us ate anyone and we were healthy afterward. Survival is not hard, it requires a realization that there is food everywhere and a little easy to learn information on how. Common sense is the key factor. We have a brain and all you have to do is use it.

Most insects are edible and easy to get. A stick will get roots out of the ground if it is winter. A simple dead-fall on a easy to find game trail will get you rodents or rabbits even in winter and rodents live at nearly any elevation. Porcupines are easy to catch and will feed a group of people for a couple of days. Plants require some knowledge. If your unsure about a plant eat a tiny piece and wait a couple of hours. If you don't get sick you can eat it.

The only scenario I could see, is if at extremely high elevation in frigid temperatures. Under that circumstance I would eat someone who had already died if it would save me or others. It would be distasteful but when a person is dead they are no longer in that body. It's just a piece of dead meat.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
eh in this situation i would personally just rather die.yeah sounds like a quitter but i couldnt kill another human just for that maybe if someone died of natural causes around me then okay i'll nibble on the thighs or something but i wouldnt kill i would feel really bad hell i feel guilty when i kill spiders or roaches. the only way i would kill a person is if they were attacking me ,my family, or friends with a weapon or something.

maybe ill eat myself. although u can eat bugs and plants no need for humans. everyone is going to die anyway but all in all i couldnt kill another human to survive may sound weak but hey F IT

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The Donner Party only ate people who were already dead, and then they only ate people who were not part of their family. (As that would probably be too traumatizing, or at least more so.)

Heres a hint: Skip the glutieus maximus if you cant stand it and go straight to the marrow.

wiki:

bone marrow for human consumption in America has recently fallen out of favor as a food. Now, it is commonly used only as a flavoring for soups and sauces, although dishes with intact bone marrow can still be found in some European restaurants. Bone marrow is a source of protein and high in monounsaturated fats. These fats are known to decrease LDL cholesterol levels resulting in a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, prompting some to make bone marrow a dietary staple

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   
For some reason I can not shake this mental image of a very demented Elmer Fudd saying "Be vewy, vewy, quiet. I'm hunting Woberts, hu, uh, uh uh."

What I know about cannibalism I learned from Robert L. Ripley. It is considered taboo to touch the meat and long tined wooden forks are used. Human is said to be much sweeter in taste than pork.

I don't know if I could or could not eat it. I am prety sure I don't want to be in a position find out. Because I think it goes a bit beyond a loss of humanity. I know I have the ability to kill another person even up close and personal. I really did not finding that out, am very thankful that I stopped myself. But still I was haunted by the image of what would have been for a few months afterwards everytime I laid down to sleep. I can still describe that image vividly a few years after the fact.

[edit on 7-6-2007 by Ahabstar]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I have never read it anywhere but I bet in ancient times that armys would eat some of their fallen enemies to survive. There is no possible way they could have carried enough food to survive in those days. And I bet it was thought of as normal.

Far as the original question is concerned my answer is - I have never been that hungry.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I would kill in order to survive, put it that way.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
So you would kill a nice person who has done you no harm just to survive?
And you would kill a little kid then eat them just so your asz would make it. Thats kinda cowardly isnt it?
If the person was dead already thats different imo.

yes i would and no i don't think it is cowardly. it's called self preservation.
you're crashed in the andes and you have not eaten in 2 weeks...you'd rather die? not me jack

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I have to admit this is a pretty damn sick thread. Would you eat a person? Would you eat a loved one? Would you let your loved ones to eat you?

I think if you consider going to these extremes, you're no longer human. I don't care that canibalism has been practiced in the past, KEY WORD "past", eating a fellow human is just wrong. Once you go there imo you cease being human.

Why is YOUR life so damn important that you would cross a line that most wouldn't? Or is it just a role playing thing? How far would you go to survive?

What's on the menu btw?

Fillet of father?
Mutton of mother?
Steak of stranger?
Sirloin of son?

Sick # imo. I'd rather starve. NO ONE is that damn important.

i simply don't agree. i am that important. i don't want to die. IMO, this is not murder. this is survival. ever read the book miracle in the andes? the socer team that crashed and were stranded.
sick thread maybe but it is not out of the realm of possibility that we would be put in a situation like this. and respectfully, you might very well change your tune once you're starving. maybe not...there are certainly cases where some in the group went cannable and others didn't. others died and i don't want to.
snd in the situation i laid out, i wouldn't call it 'practicing' being a cannable. some damn tribe out in the bush that does it every day as a way of life practices it. if you're in a survival situation, it's just that. survival.

if i cease to be human in your eyes, well, i will just have to live with that.
after all. what is stopping YOU from doing it?
YOUR morals? they are not the same as mine.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Sorry mate, I disagree. I'd rather have my family die with the dignity of a Camp victim than survive as a Hannibal. Humanity means something imo.

i say there is no dignity in death.
also, there is a 'healty'(as in not decaying) pile of flesh that you and your kids could live off of for days and you wouldn't touch it?
you've not eaten in 2 weeks and your kids are starving?
well, thats your choice....just not cool that you're kinda looking down on people for saying they would, in a survival situation.

i mean, surviving is kinda the point of survival, not living by your strict moral code.
whatever.....i get your point and i respect it

edit* why are you getting so bent intrepid?
this is a what if scenerio thread and i think your morals are giving you an attitude to some people...why? cause they told the truth.

for all you saying in cold climates there are insects....ok, lets change it then cause i am trying to see if you would resort to human flesh. not insects.

ok, you and 5 people are in some sailboat and are sailing across. atorm hits and you have to bail and all 5 of you are in the middle of the drink, in a dingy boat, no water, no radio, no food.
now what?
no insects around..no nothing.

back in the day the sailors had the 'law of the sea'....in those situations, they would eat the dead one first......they would eat their own and i'll really gross you out. you can't drink sea water cause you will dehydrate so you have to get fluids....where is there fluids?
thats right....humans.....they have a thing called blood.
so, there IS food and drink there in that dingy.....thing is, do you take it?

this is a hypothetical intrepid...mellow out mang...

[edit on 7-6-2007 by Boondock78]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join