It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS New York (LPD-21)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Today, I got an email about this vessel and found it interesting.

Here are some links:

en.wikipedia.org

www.snopes.com

I spent a short time aboard the USS Ogden (LPD-5) in preparation for Operation Bold Mariner in 1969.

I'd like to see this one just for comparison's sake.

[edit on 2007/6/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I used to work at Northrope Grumman ship systems before Hurricane katrina hit in August 2005. I was a union elelctrician on there. All of the San Antonio class vessels have on board computer network (SWAN) that uses fiber optic cable trunks, a dental clinic, medical clinic, laundry facilities (both commerical type cleaners and several laundramats), a huge dining facility, and other comforts of home. Despite numerous problems with the building of the boat, it turned out okay. Once the major construction was done, it was hauled to Pascagula, Mississippi for the cool stuff (weapon systems, etc.). it caused a big stink with the union workers in Avondale, La. because of the loss of construction time in Avondale.

As a worker, I was exposed to welding fumes, extreme heat (it was an oven in the sun), dust, dark and cramped spaces, and lots of bitching from the other trades about having to redo the work. Plus there were a lot of politics involved.

join