It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansei Robot Reacts To Words

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Kansei, a robot face capable of 36 expressions that vary according to emotional interpretations of words it hears, is the latest achievement to emerge from a Meiji University research lab working to develop conscious and self-aware robots.

When Kansei hears a word, it uses software to access a database of 500,000 keywords, create word associations and determine an emotion — ranging from happiness to sadness, anger and fear — which is expressed by a system of 19 actuators under its silicone skin.

SOURCE:
Pink Tentacle

This is a very interesting and pretty cool robot.
Innovations like
this will not only help the field of robotics, but also in future prosthetics and possible cyberbodies.

Even so though, it's still far from having the fluid changeability of facial expressions that
humans do, though given a decade or two I suspect that robots, or more correctly Androids
will be nearly unidentifiable as such, and blend in with humanity.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I wonder if they're coupling the smart voice technology (like the phone directory where you can sometimes get directory listings or other services by speaking) with the robots.

I've tried speech to text, and you really have to train the device to understand you. Understanding a wide range of accents, voice types, and qualities takes a LOT of programming!

join