It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hangman is a really vulgar game.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
So today in one of my classes we were playing hangman, when I came to the sudden realization that well...this game is really vulgar! Yet, its a common school game. I mean, lets break it down: "Guess the word or the man gets hanged." You know, what a wonderful game to play in a school environment.

I can just imagine how some non-western people would view such a game. I mean kids as young as grade school play this game, its so ingrained into our heads we don't even realize how kinda vulgar and grim it is. Anyone else notice this?

I'm not some hippie or anything I'm just perplexed I've never heard of anyone else noticing this.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yeah, I agree...but it's much better than Ring Around the Rosies.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well Ring Around the Rosies has grim origins too but still not I wouldn't hold it as bad as Hangman...can't find the words to explain why.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
You guys mean about the Plague? I think that is just a myth.

We do some pretty morbid things as/to children though. Hangman I never thought about. Rock-a-bye Baby is a pretty messed up Lullaby. Playing with toy hand guns and assault rifles with today's gun crime issues. Popeye Candy (cigarettes) Sticks.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I watched a rerun of that 70's show today.

Eric got a tattoo on his butt cheek for Donna. Well he read her journal or some crap...

bascially she told him

SUCK IT UP.

which brings me to my point.

I survived the 80s-90s childhood.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

I know you hear "Finish Him" and see images of the pit when people piss you off in the street.

Sorry, you just reminded me of all the video game controversy in th e90's.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

Originally posted by Lysergic

I know you hear "Finish Him" and see images of the pit when people piss you off in the street.

Sorry, you just reminded me of all the video game controversy in th e90's.

Yes I do, then that red tint glazes across the eyes, but I snap out of it before I allow it to take hold, and make my weapons.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Oh, good,God!! :shk:
How politically correct do you want things to become? Really, this is ridiculous. You are stressing over a freaking word game that people have played for ages? Kacen, there are other things to be concerned about.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Geez, it isn't as though Kacen is calling for an end to Hangman. He only made an observation and posted about it.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
How politically correct do you want things to become? Really, this is ridiculous. You are stressing over a freaking word game that people have played for ages? Kacen, there are other things to be concerned about.

Actually, I, myself, am not bothered by it. I'm kinda apathetic to it itself.

I'm just surprised I've never heard of anyone else bothered by it.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Actually, I, myself, am not bothered by it. I'm kinda apathetic to it itself.

Yessssssh, allow it to consume thee!!!!

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Rock-a-bye Baby is a pretty messed up Lullaby.

hahahaha dude yeah! I always thought that too. fairy tales can be pretty gnar too the uncut versions. but it's all in fun im guessing.

eeeeeee Mortal Kombat!?!? oh man how we loved that game. i remember all the fuss and junk but i mean you just need to realize reality from fantasy its a reason its a video GAME for entertainment purposes only. where else can u go and rip out somoenes heart or head and not get in trouble? its all in good fun ! i played that so much but i never wanted to go around doing that in real life. maybe if someone was trying to kill me but honestly i dont know how to rip out a heart haha

hangman is a fun guessing game but hey its a game. i know what you're trying to say though it's kinda absurd just odnt play it if it bugs you homie!

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I play hangman with kids all the time out here in Hong Kong and they love it, put them in teams, give them points and stickers.

If the word is to difficult and I get to hang the man, sometimes I will move on to the drawn and quarted bit as well to give them a few extra guesses.

And if they still don't get it a might bring in a B2 and nuke the little bugger, then it really is game over!

With me screaming, waving my arms in the air and scribbling all over a blackboard I don't see how it could be anything other than good clean fun!

Hangman rocks!

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
I play hangman with kids all the time out here in Hong Kong and they love it, put them in teams, give them points and stickers.
If the word is to difficult and I get to hang the man, sometimes I will move on to the drawn and quarted bit as well to give them a few extra guesses.
And if they still don't get it a might bring in a B2 and nuke the little bugger, then it really is game over!

I am sure no one will mind the one liner, but LOL, that is so funny.

Hang drawn and quartered, and a B2, lol. What do you get them to spell, Quantum Electrodynamics?

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I am more offended by games such as Grand Theft Auto, and the like. Now those games are something to get your panties in a wad about.

Umbrax, I wasn't trying to be offensive, I am just wondering how far people are wanting to carry this political correctness crap. It's ridiculous.

[edit on 7-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen

Well, given that things are the way they are, I suppose that I am too.

[edit on 7-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Hmm, well considering that when people used to be hanged often (back in the past and what not) there was a crowd of onlookers, and people brought there kids to it and everything. I think these days of video games, and movies... a game of hangman is nothing.

Your hanging a stickman. Poor stickman, gets a stick that comes out of his circle head. :laughs:

Seriously, I think most people see a one d creation as something not even close to realistic, so it's ignored. Now if there was a rash of hangings at a school, I'd bet you dollars to donuts that the parents would be in arms over Hangman.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hangman never affected my head, but now,

Tic Tac Toe.....That one IS VULGAR.

I call for a ban.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I love hangman, it gives kids real life lessons!

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Does anyone remember a game called "smear the queer"? The name alone is wrong, but that is what it was called.

It was an extremely physical and somewhat violent game played by children in my area. It rules were very simple, who ever got a hold of the ball everyone else would tackle, grab, push, pile on, kick, pull, only to try to get the ball away from the person that has it, then it was your turn to get abused. I lived in the inner city, so it may have been just a inner city thing.

I think back and remember how many scraps, bloody noses, cuts, lumps, and crying kids went home during that insane game, but for some strange reason everyone always wanted to play.

How about Beanno too?
I always hated getting light up from older and stronger kids.

[edit on 8-6-2007 by Realtruth]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join