It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how well could one live off of dog food?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
i have been thinking about this lately. i recently got a dog and i feed him iams and i get like 20lbs of food for like $15.
not quite a bad deal especially since there is some flavor(i have tried it) and it is dehydrated or whatever...don't need to be prepared.

now don't get me wrong. this is not ideal but i am talking in a survival situation, could you sustain yourself off of nothing but dog food and water for say 2 months with only human food sporadically in there...
i mean, you could bag it up into portions and put it in baggies and just munch..

might sound gross to some but i have eaten his food, tasted his bones and such...whatever...no big deal...taste wise i could eat it all day, just don't know if i could survive of it.
i'm thinking if you can, that might be a cheap/easy way to go as far as food that don't need to be prepared.

that or i am really really stupid

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I would eat it if I had to. I would eat fish flakes if thats all there was.
I feed my dog iams also, he's a german shepard and they say to feed them what you would eat. He seems to be doing fine after 2 years of the iams dog food.
Pour some milk and iams in a bowl, tada, breakfast cereal!

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Sure a person can live of of just about any food source in emergency situations, plants, root etc. including dog food. I'm not too sure about the health aspects though, the dog food is most likely not as tighly controlled as the human consumables are (not to say all the human food is all that great either).

But for me in an emergency, I'll opt for other foods in bulk that are cheap, like RICE, oatmeal, bran etc...

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I actually read a column by Marylin Vos Savant, who has the highest IQ ever recorded in a human being, and she was asked what food she would take if she were to be stranded on a desert island. She said she would take dog food. She said it would keep you healthier, longer than any other single food around.

I've never eaten dog food, but in a pinch I suppose a little Alpo would hit the spot

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I imagine it'd probably sustain you quite well.

Just as long as it doesn't contain any Chinese wheat gluten.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It should contain a good mix of basics.

As a health check, make sure your nose is cold and wet.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Make mine canned please? I'd expect that dry type kibble might cause some gastrointestinal troubles unless some care were taken to have enough hydration before ingestion even in healthy adults.

That kibble stuff (most but not all) swells significantly when soaked in water. That expansion in one's gut could do real damage if a person was dehydrated before eating - it could be fatal in some less than fit folks and perforate the gut or bowel.

There is also another concern about passing dry stool or rather the potential inability to do so. Stool impaction if left untreated can be fatal. Also in there may be a risk of internal bleeding in the rectum that when severe and persistent enough can and does lead to blood poisoning.

On the bright side most of it is rice or other grain/soya base. Some have vitamin levels that are actually pretty high. Not much vitamin C in any. A couple of manufacturer sites show mineral and nutritional data. All I looked at seem heavy pretty heavy on potassium with iron. Some of that stuff is expensive.

Canned food on the other hand is "digestable" shall we say "straight up" as compared to kibble. Pretty full spread of aminoes, great fat content, oils and like the kibble a bit high in potassium and almost no vitamin C.

If one already has dogs on kibble, how dry is their "stoop and scoop deposit" compared to yours? You get the idea.

I'm quite sure that humans will eat just about anything given dire enough conditions. I would eat the dogs at some point. Then other things... apparently some types of mud are a delicacy.

Vic

[edit on 5-6-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Two words:

Animal By-products.

You could eat it if you had to, but you don't want to know what it's made of. And it is also nutritionally formulated for dogs, not humans, so it isn't that good for long-term consumption.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
As long as the dog food has all the essential amino acids your body can't make but still needs to have in order to live your golden. You'd have to read the ingredients for that though.

My answer is YES.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Mix the dry food with some water, I did tried it out in preparation for what is to come.....you must be really hungry in order to eat it but.....yes you can.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Dog food is very hard on the human digestive system. Its not that good on a dogs digestive system either. My dogs eat what we eat. with in reason. No MRI for puppy's.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
You could last for as long as you needed to. The only real down side is the taste. The argument about it not being nutritionally balanced for humans is fairly moot, as the vast majority of foods that humans currently eat are not balanced either. Eating any type of food in isolation will cause some problems in the long term (Remember 'Supersize Me'?). You can still live off it though. Hell, dog food contains more nutritional value than what people have to eat in a lot of developing countries.

Plus if you choose the correct brand your coat will be nice and shiny as well.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Dog food is the Bomb.

You can live off it for as long as you want. It goes well boiled, or pan-fried, depending on wether it is kibble or canned.

As a previous poster stated, as long as your diet is balanced, you will be fine.

Put it this way, it's better than boiling up soome wood for dinner.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Ask some elderly people. Alot of them unfortunately have to eat dog and cat food. Can't afford much on their fixed income.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   
the first issue which springs to mind is ` VITAMIN C ` - dogs sythesise thier own " on demand " so do not require any in thier diet

i am not claiming that dog food contains zero vit C , but it is denatured [ destroyed ] by processing / long term storage . and dog food manufactures do not expect thier target " audience " to care if they get no VIT C in thier food

thats just the first thing that i can think of sans any resaerch - i would reprat the question for a number of vital trace elements / vitamins

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I bought some fancy moist dog food the other day, It was pre-packaged in neat little servings after opening the first package I immiediately noticed that it had a wonderful smoked aroma, I had to stave off the urge to taste the wonderful smelling, meatlike substance, I'm sure if I had fallen on hard times I would have no trouble tearing into a serving or two of this stuff, but I'm not sure how good it would be for me nutritionally speaking.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 05:28 AM
link   
After finding out what dog and cat food is really made of, not really sure if I'd wanna eat that.Sometimes dead animals(pets) are used in the food.I suppose if there was nothing else,I would.Hey it worked for Mel Gibson in Road Warrior.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I allways thought that dog/cat food had to be consumable for humans also, in case of emergency. Not sure if that is true though. I will eat it if needed.

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   
honestly, we are talking survival. i don't care of th edog food is made from other animals(horses) or people pr whatever....i have to eat.

as far as the taste. this is not the first time i have eaten dogfood/biscuits. i don't eat like a whole bowl but my wife laughs cause everytime we get him a new kind of treat i taste it. i tasted his iams when we got this new size...

like i said, no big deal...i think this sealed the deal for me.
dog food is cheap as hell and you could ration it out so easily. get a 20 pound bag and divide it into 1 cup portions and eat so many portions per day(ideally with some sort of vitamin and 'other' food as you can get it) and you'd be good to go for a bit eh?

i'm all over that man....don't bother me one bit to eat that stuff.
i'd eat dog food like a mofo, no question.......

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I couldn't eat dog food, not that I have a problem with eating dog food, its just that I'm not flexible enough to lick my own balls afterwards

Sorry I couldn't resist the urge

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join