It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honor Students Denied Diploma Because Of Cheering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

(AP) Caisha Gayles graduated with honors last month, but she is still waiting for her diploma. The reason: the whoops of joy from the audience as she crossed the stage.

Gayles was one of five students denied diplomas from the lone public high school in Galesburg after enthusiastic friends or family members cheered for them during commencement.

www.cbsnews.com...

Hmmm...five students were singled out of apparently many, many bursts of cheering for lots of other students; all the students who were denied their diploma are black or hispanic. Instead of just holding the diplomas for the summer as a penalty or consequence of other people's actions, they must perform eight hours of community service for the school board. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture?

When I graduated from High School, there was a lot of cheering and yelling for each student from family and friends and properly so, I think. Students spend 12 years travelling through school and when they graduate it is not supposed to be a solemn dour experience it should be a happy, joyous and exciting experience. After all, graduation is not for the family and school authorities as much as it is "supposed" to be about the student who is graduating. At least that's the way it seems to me.

What do you all think?

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
someone beat ya.... sorry..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm so glad to not be in highschool anymore. Back when I graduated (1991), it was "don't toss your cap or you won't get your diploma". Well, a bunch of us said "F you" and tossed them anyway. With enough of us doing it, they backed down and we got our diplomas.

I couldn't imagine that from someone cheering you on, that you don't get a diploma.

Also, it states that the student and parents had to sign the paper. How do they know it wasn't someone's friends. Or even enemy for that matter. What better way to get back at the b*tch you've hated all through highschool. Have your family and friends cheer for them so they won't recieve their diploma.

There's too many ways that they can't tell. Give the poor girl her freekin diploma already.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Attention Mods! Another thread on this subject was started previously and I didn't know, even though I did searches for three different keywords to be sure. Anyway, please close and delete this thread. My apologies.

new topics

top topics

join