It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa baffled by soil properties on mars in latest photo.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I know the excitement has died down for many, but I created this image today and I though I'd post it incase anybody else is interested.

Sleepy Hollow, image transformed to be viewed from above.

It's obviously sleepy hollow, taken from the large panorama released today, but I've run it through some image transformation code I am working on which is for something else entirely, but allows you to tilt images in 3D and interpolate pixels and is perfect for this sort of thing. The center of the image is pretty stable, but as you can see, it produces some distortion round the edges.

Interestingly, you can now make out the triangle shape of the landers airbags on one of the bounces.

Anyway, back to the real world.

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by Zzub]

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Very nice work zZub, are you able to tell us what you are designing the code for? Or is it work-related?

Anyone else still get a chuckle with the idea of half a billion dollars worth of science equipment bouncing along the surface of Mars?

If there are sentient martians I'd hate to think what their opinion of us was

posted on Jan, 13 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Sure, the code is used (well, will be used when it actually works fast enough) in a object recognition system a branch of my company is creating for an American customer. It (the computer/software/camera) sometimes needs to distort angled objects in an image in order to recognize them more clearly. Dull, eh?

[Edited on 13-1-2004 by Zzub]

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Look at the small rocks below the drag area, they seem to be embedded in the surface. You could get the same effect by pushing small rocks into mud or clay. To me the scrape looks just like disturbed surface clay, which i am quite familar with.
The surrounding area looks kinda windblown, desert type terrain. (isn't it a drylake bed ?). That would suggest to me that the area is prone to seasonal wet/dry periods with the moisture being below ground, perculating when conditions/temps allow.
I'd be interested in seeing if the lander is embedded like those small rocks and what kind of trails the Rover will leave.

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Space.com article on the 'Magic Carpet'

Oh my god. They can't get to the magic carpet to get a look at it. I'm pretty disappointed, it points to layers of fine material, or perhaps even brine, which could exist as liquid at sub-zero temperatures.

It looks like a great opportunity completely missed.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I made this this morning in 3D studio out of boredom. There's been no new pictures for 2 days from the rover, what's going on?

I guess they are processing the microscope pictures or something.

I'm still pretty annoyed they can't get to the magic carpet.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
they bring photo's out when there is a conference and monday there wil be one. I think some of you have some doubts about the time delay and that it is because of Nasa editing some stuf out of the pictures.

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub

I'm still pretty annoyed they can't get to the magic carpet.

Yes I share your frustration, but hopefully evidence of what has gone on here can be found elsewhere. Although it's very annoying to be right next to something like that and you can't investigate it.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Zzub

whether mars is ? like earth......
is air thr? water.....
no...news....
i think its like........desert? but i think to say dat.....where humanbeing is living.....bec its farway from.......the living...people.....
is it last world in mars(earth - alaska)

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
A little image sharpening... and...

WHAT IS THAT?

It looks like ... uh ... plant life?

[Edited on 7-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

When I saw that.. I was thinking of Venus Flytrap... one part has frills while the other side looks like it has a beak.. it's defiantly casting a shadow "next" to the rock on the bottom left.

I also notice a "blue" hue on the beak side.. like a stripe.

Perhaps the gaping maw is used to trap other life forms or to collect dust? I would guess it would be difficult to root itself onto to the ice as he ice would be thawing at times which would possibly de-root the "thing" and die?

If it is a plant/animal, then where are the rest of them?

As for the soil darkening... I'd lean towards the soil that is "pulled" up is drained of moister which then causes the soil to darken. And the ripping effect could be due to the soil bonding with frozen water which it is saturated with.

Just some thoughts....

[edit on 11-7-2008 by Willbert]

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Take a look at the rock on the left hand side of the Mars Lander. It has some sort of markings that you could say was writing of some sort. The rock is about 30-40cmsq.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join