It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tarzan Alive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Tarzan Alive
A Definitive Biography of Lord Greystoke

Philip José Farmer, Popular Library, 1972

One of my Favorite Books that is a scholars approach to the man.

www.ac.wwu.edu...

The "Apes"

although they are called "great apes," the conclusion drawn by most people who study the Tarzan stories is that they are subhumans rather than super-apes, perhaps some rare hominid, such as language-using pithecanthropoids. Philip Farmer speculates that the mangani may be a smaller African variety of the Himalayan yeti or the giant sasquatch of the Pacific Northwest. He offers that they may have been a giant variety of Australopithecus robustus, a hominid supposed to be extinct. They may have been the agogwe of native African legend.

The Man who really was Tarzan from ERB
www.erbzine.com...

www.erbzine.com...

[edit on 5-6-2007 by junglelord]

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
A an intensive study of the Tarzan Novels and the scholarly work by Mr Farmer I have written some fantasy with the character based on missing time in the first novel.

It totals two books in all.

Each book is 20 chapters and is based on the seasons and journeys of the Mangani/The Folk and the development of the Man

BOOK ONE / JUNGLE TALES OF YOUNG TARZAN
Survivor Series/Jungle Skills Development
November 1898 – January 1902
Age10/Age13
Covers missing details between Chapter 7 and 8 of Tarzan of the Apes and how Tarzan developed his bushcraft and survival skills to become the best hunter and tracker in the world.

BOOK TWO / JUNGLE TALES OF TEENAGE TARZAN
Survivor Series/Lord of the Jungle
Nov 1901 – Nov 1906
Age 13/Age 18
Covers missing details between Chapter 8 and 9 of Tarzan of the Apes and how Tarzan took his bushcraft skills and his incredible mind and his genetic mutation Myostatin body to become the Lord of the Jungle

Tarzan is a fiercly protected name and is not allowed to be printed or sold for any reason.

In light of that I would have to change the name of the Character if you want to read the material.

Let me know if you want to read some

here is most of chapter one and two
www.belowtopsecret.com...

[edit on 5-6-2007 by junglelord]

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Anybody who likes Farmer's Tarzan Alive will surely love the Wold Newton web site.

It's an extrapolation of Farmer's work in both his Tarzan biography and his book on Doc Savage. Fascinating, fan-wanking stuff!

Baack

[edit on 6/5/07 by Baack]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
If it ain't Burroughs, it aint Tarzan...

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I was disappointed with The Dark Heart of Time by Farmer
he was commisioned to write an official Tarzan Novel.
I was also disappointed with the unfinished manuscript that was completed by Lansdale

I did enjoy Lord of the Trees and A Feast Unknown by Farmer

posted on Jun, 18 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I've actually always heard that "A Feast Unknown" was pretty good. But cmon, there's what, some 20+ (closer to 30 I think) Tarzan books written by his creator?

OT (a little) but I like what they are currently doing with RE Howard. Reprinting HIS Conan stories. They are doing this by publishing date (not chronological to the stories), so we get to read them in the order he wrote them. In "omnibus" format (there are 3 I think) so you get a bunch of short stories cramed into one big book.

The same company is also doing this with Burroughs, but so far it's just the John Carter series (that I have seen). I'd be on the look out for the Tarzan books to hit the shelves if I were you. It's a good format and you will probably get 2-3 Tarzan books per re-release.

[edit on 6/18/2007 by whargoul]

new topics

top topics

join