It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'other instruments/music' besides the mainstream

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
you into it? i am talking about stuff that is out of the mainstream and if you don't go looking, you won't find it.
i love classical stuff, world music and especially the sitar so i will post a few vids of performances i like by people that you probably have not have heard of

this is hilary hahn(violin virtuoso who is only in her 20's). she is been talked about as th emost accomplished violinist ever to pick up the instrument and that includes pagnini(sp)

here she is playing some bach

here she is in part one of five playing mozart

en.wikipedia.org...

As of 1999, Hahn has stated that she plays Bach more than any other composer and that she has played solo Bach pieces every day since she was eight (Zaustinsky 1999). The following is an excerpt from the liner notes to Hahn’s album Hilary Hahn Plays Bach:

"Bach is, for me, the touchstone that keeps my playing honest. Keeping the intonation pure in double stops, bringing out the various voices where the phrasing requires it, crossing the strings so that there are not inadvertent accents, presenting the structure in such a way that it's clear to the listener without being pedantic - one can't fake things in Bach, and if one gets all of them to work, the music sings in the most wonderful way
-----------

now, one of my favorte guitarist who is little nown, david lindley. he is a very 'strange' guy but is briliant. he is a multi instrumentalist. plays guitar, slide, oude, violin, pedal steel, etc....been a guitarist for/with jackson browne for a bit. outside of the music community, david lindley is not well know. inside that community, they know what time it is.

to hear his playing check out some stuff he has done with jackson as vids on youtube are sparce...

here he is playing Bon Temps Roulez on lap steel

all i can say about this one is watch....he brings is here

en.wikipedia.org...

David Lindley (born 1944 in San Marino, California) is an American guitarist and multi-instrumentalist (his instruments include a variety of stringed instruments such as banjo, lap steel guitar, violin, oud, cittern, bouzouki, saz, and cümbüş). During 1966 to 1970 he was part of the eclectic psychedelic band Kaleidoscope. He is well-known as a "lead guitarist for hire," particularly for West Coast rock musicians of the 1970s, having played with Jackson Browne (for which work he is probably most known), Warren Zevon, Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor, David Crosby, Terry Reid, Graham Nash, Bob Dylan, and Rod Stewart.

---

now to the sitar. my favorite, anoushka shankar. daughter of sitar master ravi shankar...some have probably seen ravi at the concert for bangladesh.
here is anoushka playing at the concert for george. absolutely stunning...

i mean, if you want to be knocked off your feet, check this out. you think it's hard to fret a guitar, try fretting this

en.wikipedia.org...

now to some instruments..
the 'chapman stick'

this is 'while my guitar gently weeps' by george harrison played on ukulele

how sick is that eh?

acoustic fans, i didn't forget about you...this is 'michael chapdelaine' playing 'come together' by the beatles. this will blow you away cause he does a whole lot more than just pick/fret...check it out

unknown female guitarist that absolutely owns...'nori bucci'

drum fans. meet 'terry bozzio'. here is is playing the black page in detroit. i was actually at this show. frank zappa wrote this especially for bozzio. boxxio was believed to be the only one who could play it till vinnie coliuta sight read it and memorized it in one night and played it for frank at audition. needless to say, he got the job. anyway, bozzio

thats all i have for now...hope you enjoy

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
don't know if this guy is easily found online but there is a kid named Rushad Eggleston he lives up in camarillo california. plays cello offically since the age of 4 he's mid 20's now. but can play literally every instrument thats been handed to him. all of them. He was a simple street preformer in camarillo but every music conservatory in the US has heard of him. all of their string dept. chairs have personally walked up to him and given him full rides to their schools. He's not interested. He instead went to berklee to study jazz on the cello. the instructors there and at new england conservatory were like dude why are you here? we don't even know what to teach you. you should be teaching us. he's played in lots of famous symphonies as a guest musician too. you can see him play as one of the musicans on an album titled the He's amazing, a little wierd but amazing.

he could improvise over anything. trust me. he made 2 live crew sound amazing on a cello one night drunk in our dorm room. He introduced me to world music which is now sorta his main thing coupled with his love for bluegrass and weird scandanavian rythems and scales.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
i will be looking him up. have never heard of him.
i could use some cello action

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
yeah just google him. he has a wikipedia page n everything. he was nominated for a grammy a few years ago for his work on the four fiddlers. he was the only guy not over 50 on the album.

He's got tons of pages on the internet dedicated to him. He does lots of bluegrass stuff now a days. kicks ass.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
i searched it when you mentioned and i got a lot of hits. i have not checked it yet but he is out there. i am all over it. gracias brosef

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
You might enjoy this. It's "The DEvil's Trill" by Vanessa Mae.
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 16-6-2007 by Ironside]

[edit on 16-6-2007 by Ironside]

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Lucia Micarelli with Jethro Tull - Kashmir (Led Zeppelin)

Kronos Quartet - Purple Haze (Jimi Hendrix)

Kronos Quartet on Nightmusic

[edit on 2007/6/16 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I love unusual collaborations, history and old languages so Aria by Medieval Babes working with Delerium laying a dance track onto a middle English poem is about as good as it gets for me. Sound heavenly and they're bloody good to look at too.

How do you get a link to youtube btw?

[edit on 23-8-2007 by ubermunche]

[edit on 23-8-2007 by ubermunche]

posted on Sep, 2 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Iver Kleive & Knut Reiersrud - Norwegian Folksong (Oslo Domkirke, August 2005)

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I like the Shamisen myself (Japanese 3 string guitar)

here's a metallica song played with cello's

[edit on 3-9-2007 by DarkSide]

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Värttinä - Katariina (Live)

Värttinä - Äijö (Live 2001)

Check out the part at 3:22 (2:15 remaining) time
You better do as she says, even if you don't speak finnish...

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Gjallarhorn - Suvetar

Gjallarhorn - Dejelill och lagerman

posted on Sep, 18 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Hedningarna

new topics

top topics

join