It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amended Immigration Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

The Amended Immigration Bill

www.congress.org

They could come forward immediately and receive probationary legal status.
Bill creates a four-year, renewable "Z" visa for those present within the U.S. unlawfully before Jan. 1, 2007.
Undocumented immigrants may adjust status to lawful permanent residence once they pay $5,000 in fees and fines and their head of household returns to their home country.
People under age 30 who were brought to the U.S. as minors could receive their green cards after three years, rather than eight.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
USA Immigration 101
Immigration Deal Reached

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
The above post shows part of what has been amended in the immigration bill. The link I saw when I found this shows ninety one percent of the people are still against it. Please look it over and say what you think.

www.congress.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
well, I already signed up to oppose this. NO to all forms of illegal alien status. This needs to be stopped.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I encourage everyone who reads this thread to take the take time use that congress dot-com link to express your point of view to the powers-that-be in D.C. regarding this bill. It's still just a bill, so it can be influenced. If just ten thousand ATS members did this, you might shock the socks off somebody in a high place.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I second the motion, JO. That was what I did, and it only takes a moment. I also flagged this thread, and hope a lot more people do the same.

Being active in the fight is not hard at all.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Don't forget NumbersUSA. They provide ready-made faxes to send to your senators and congressmen (free), and they are an excellent link for phone and fax numbers, as well as office addresses.

Plug in your zipcode, and they will list your congress-critters, as well as their voting record on whatever issue you are interested.

Let your voice join the hundreds of thousands who are against this bill.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Personally I support this bill.

As long as they are tax paying citizens working, I could honestly care less how they came here.

Considering the conditions that they are faced with in their own respective countries,
it would be immoral and unethical of me to want to send them back if they are willing
to be productive members of society.

[edit on 6/4/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

As long as they are tax paying citizens working, I could honestly care less how they came here.

I'm really hoping this is a typo or oversight.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

I'm really hoping this is a typo or oversight.

I mean them becoming taxpaying working citizens, instead of being illegal immigrants who
are abused by those who know they can take advantage of them.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone who posted.
A lot of you said you should contact your representative to tell them what you think. I also agree that is a good thing to do. As Justin said it would take about ten thousand people doing so to really make a difference. For all those who are U.S. citizens here is the link to where you can type in your zip code and get the information on your representatives.
To me this is kind of insulting to those who came here by legal means.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Personally I support this bill.

Considering the conditions that they are faced with in their own respective countries,
it would be immoral and unethical of me to want to send them back if they are willing
to be productive members of society.

[edit on 6/4/2007 by iori_komei]

I am against this bill. It rewards unethical and immoral behavior.

Pressure should be put on their own governments to improve conditions there. Instead, by taking in all their unwanted people, all we are doing is rewarding them by leaving more spoils for them to divide among themselves.

apc

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
The only bill I will support is one that denies them social services.

I took a friend of mine once to get her WIC (Women Infant Children) checks from the local social services office, and we were the only people in the room that spoke English. Everyone else was speaking Spanish. I asked the receptionist if they checked social security numbers... much to my dismay they did not.

Let them stay... there's no practical way to kick them out. But rip their vermin mouths from our generous teats.

That will be the only bill that actually works. There's no need to build a fence if we take away what they come for. Most of them come for work and to leech off welfare. Deny them both and they'll stop coming.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
apc,
that is a very good life experience you posted, and some good points. thank you.
Do you mind if I copy what you said and send it to the politiciens?

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I am not going to devolve into name calling here. I don't think that is right.

I will say one thing though. The only part of the bill that I support are the measures in it to secure our national borders. All of the rest of it should be stripped from the bill. Look, I realize that it would be quite a feat to round up 12-15 million people, and even if we could, I don't know that I would support it.

As I have said repeatedly, this issue goes way beyond Mexico, as far as I am concerned. Our open borders is a national security risk and our government knows it. It is basically an open invitation for any extremist with a bomb to enter our nation.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
John McCain summed up what this whole immigration issue is about when he stated, and I am paraphrasing, that unless they addressed it, they couldn't hope to get the Hispanic vote.

This is not about sympathy and it certainly isn't about national security, it's about getting votes, winning a freaking popularity contest.

Until they come up with an honest bill with the welfare of the nation, rather than personal gain, on their minds, the American citizenry will never support it.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I've thought about this problem since 9-11, although that was the day I stepped out of my slumber on many things.

I've come to the conclusion that booting them is a poor idea, and know that the entire debate is framed incorrectly (I believe on purpose).

What is the REAL problem with them coming here undocumented? In fact, it hasn't really been a problem that ANYONE is undocumented (citizen or not) until the past 70 years or so.

The problem is not the immigrants so much, but rather the social control we have placed that create problems like this one here. So, here is a way to remove this from even being a problem.

1) Remove minimum wage.

2) Remove SS, Welfare, medicaid and medicare over a reasonable period.

3) Remove income tax

4) Secure the border, but provide entry points that allow for far greater immigrants to come in since it's obvious the demand is there.

5) Anyone not a citizen that commits a felony gets deported and can not return.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Done and Done!!!
Here's mine:

I AGREE with the tenets set forth in the "BORDER SECURITY", "WORKPLACE ENFORCEMENT" sections and the ammendments.

I DISAGREE with the propositions in "CURRENT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS", "GUEST WORKERS" and "FUTURE IMMIGRANTS"

WITH THE CURRENT STATE OF WORLDWIDE TERRORISM WE SHOULD BE TIGHTENING OUR BORDERS, NOT MAKING IT EASIER OR ENCOURAGING CRIMINALS TO BECOME NATIONALS!!!

Americans are already feeling the degradation of Traditional American Values by a massive influx of illegals unwilling to assimilate and BECOME AMERICANS!

The disregard for the overwhelming dissatisfaction of middle America is truely a saddening state of affairs.

RESTRICT IMMIGRATION AND TIGHTEN OUR BORDERS NOW!!!

The insinuation that "There are certain jobs Americans won't do" is an insulting an appalling urban myth propagated by those who benefit from a cheap, unrepresented, undocumented labor force.
-----
I also clicked yes for this:
Would you like to post your message in our "Letters to Leaders" section? If you choose "yes", your letter will appear on Congress.org and other media sites that carry "Letters to Leaders". Please do not put your name or address or any other personal information in the body of the message -- all text entered in the body of the message will appear on public sites. Use the appropriate fields for your name and address...

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I just got a phone call from my representatives office. So for all U.S. citizens out there, if you take the time to contact your representatives office, sometimes they will call you back. I had originally asked about a bill that would regulate the Internet, the senator is currently undecided on that, so I asked about the immigration bill.
My Representative is opposed to granting amnesty go people who are here illegally, he supports the five thousand dollar fine, and the payment of back taxes, he supports prison terms for those caught here illegally, he supports the methods spelled out in the bill to strengthen the southern border.
The senators office is also aware that about ninety percent of the people, which is what it said on the government Internet site, are opposed to this bill. The senators office is also aware that some form of this bill is going to get passed.
So for all you U.S. citizens out there in cyberland, or conspiracy land, call your representatives, write them an e-mail, send them a letter, tell them how your feel on this issue. You might be surprised if one of them writes or calls you back.
Again here is the link to a site that will tell you who your representatives are and how you can contact them. Via phone, e-mail, or snail mail.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I got an e-mail from my representatives with a letter that appeared in many newspapers throughout the state. Part of it is posed below and click on the link if you want to read the entire letter.

As your U.S. Senators, we have been heavily involved in the Congressional debate on immigration reform for several years.

We have taken a leadership role on this issue because we represent a state that uniquely benefits from the contributions of legal immigrants, but is also uniquely vulnerable to the dangers of illegal immigration.

Throughout this process, our principles have been clear and consistent.We must secure our borders, and we cannot encourage illegal behavior through amnesty.

Full print

As I said before, despite what is being said above, some version of this bill will be passed. So now is the time if you want to complain, call your representative and complain.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I've had the radio on a lot today. I've heard several Congressional reps saying that they are getting a lot of e-mails, phone calls, and snail mail. Most of it is proving to be thoughtfully presented with rational arguments. All that input is having its effect. The kids on Capitol Hill are not stupid. They know that anyone who writes in to them is likely to remember what went down later when ot comes time to go and vote. I encourage all of you to keep up the pressure. Love it or hate it, you know what you want. use your voice while you've still got it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join