It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Told You Google Was Up To No Good

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
This is all good and all Google helps thwart bombing plan

However, if they have this technology. A technology where they can literally make out the details of your face and your comings and goings, doesn't that make you a little uneasy. It certainly does me.

Several months ago, I posted another thread on Google and some of its recent tactics.

Don't think Google is a part of it?

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't say that I like this technology much.

[edit: fixed first link - removed extra /]

[edit on 4-6-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I don't like this technology either, and frankly, I've become more and more suspicious over Google's motives lately with this sort of thing.

Myself, I use Google for everything in my life. Mail, documents, chat, RSS feeds, the list is endless. I would hope that my personal information is safe, but what you have posted makes me question how much of who I am online is being viewed by third parties.

Good post!

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Google is far removed from thier "do no harm" motto. From activly supporting censorship in Communist China, to predatory practices, they actually seem to be far worse that Microsoft at this point.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Correct me if I am mistaken, but we are upset that terrorists used Google to forward their terror plot, right?
And so if we make a huge stink about it couldn't that be used to keep people like myself from enjoying the use of the satellites for geographic and innocent reasons?
I don't trust it. So what if they use cell phones or computers or our public libraries, I do not want to loose my country because of the terrorists who ever they may be. I love freedom, and hate watching it get stripped away.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Google makes me nervous, too, but you completely misconstrued the article.

There was no mention I could find of the faces of the perpetrators being visible on Google.

Their leader told the other members to use Google Earth to get information about JFK, because their own videos were inadequate.

To that extent, Google Earth is just a tool for the public to use. That some people use GPS devices and even old fashion maps to commit crimes, certainly doesn't implicate GPS or cartography.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Grady, I listened to Drudge last night, and he was stating that they had the technology to see people's faces with those satellites. He was actually talking about this article in question.Which, to be honest, this is old news to me really. I heard several years ago that there were satellites that could take a picture of an ant hill and they could count how many ants were crawling on top of it.

[edit on 4-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
I heard several years ago that there were satellites that could take a picture of an ant hill and they could count how many ants were crawling on top of it.

Uhm ... speakeroftruth ...

My early 80s Air Force orientation spoke of the optics on the SR71 being capable of telling the brand of cigarettes from a pack on the ground ... @ 40K+ feet. This was later affirmed and expounded upon by a fellow graduate that was tasked, trained for such.

20+ years later. (?) Not only that much better, but most likely to include thermal capabilites as well.

As for Google aiding in exposing this Terrorist Plot, I find myself highly in doubt thereof. Not just due to the Google aspect, but even more so for the Entirety of such ...

A "drug dealer" informant who was allowed to leave the country and travel abroad. (?) during said "investigation. (?)

Yeah. Someone facing otherwise harsher penalties will opt for just that. The worse end of the stick. :shk: Don't think so ...

Sorry, but, as much as I'd like to offer a "back slap", I just can't ... at least Not in this particular case.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
12m, and I suppose that really gets at the heart of the matter. Let's just suppose that Google did help thwart this plan, while that's good, I think it brings some serious privacy issues to the forefront. Who's to guarantee that they are not snooping on people who really have no need to be snooped on?

I mean, it seems to me that if they are watching terrorists from the "eye in the sky," they may very well be watching other people as well. I personally think we are edging towards a society where there is no such thing as privacy. I am not too sure that we are not already there.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Let's just suppose that Google did help thwart this plan....

But, they didn't, so what's the use of speculating about abuses when none have occurred.

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
[edit on 5-6-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I think I'm with you there "Speaker".........;

I have recently been keeping an eye on my "firefox" lower address bar as pages are loading when I start and browse this 'ere internet.

I am convinced that just about every page that loads has some kind of information from google in it.

I also see a lot of "doubleclick" (google) and similar "tracking" site information there too.

With the speed of computers and internet connections getting faster by the day, it's going to become almost impossible for the average joe to see this stuff.

Does anyone know of any software that can save/display such info in a readable format?

I am working hard at narrowing down and eliminating as much info into my computer and keeping it as clean as possible, but it's hard keeping up!

I don't care what anyone says.....I DON'T TRUST GOOGLE, there is a man behind the curtain!

posted on Jun, 6 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well, in all fairness, I can't say that I trust Yahoo anymore than I do Google. It seems that both are monitoring search items on their engine.

posted on Jun, 13 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Google's corporate motto is "Don't be evil".

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Google's corporate motto is "Don't be evil".

Anagram of "bet on devil"

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I would like to point out that Google does not own, nor operate, any imaging satellites. They simply compile available images into a coherent map and then make the map available for everyone to use. Complaining about Google spying on people with their Super Sekret Spy Satellites, and looking at their faces while they commit crimes, is sheer nonsense.

Terrorists use libraries to get information. Should we abolish libraries then? Should we jail librarians who alert the police about suspicious activity? Should we jail individuals who give out information on suspects, when they have been subpoenaed?

IF,...and I stress IF.. Google did indeed assist in uncovering these terrorists, it probably only involved their handing over of subpoenaed material regarding individual websearches.

I for one, have no fear of Google spying on my searches. Just because they may be tracking my clicks and hits for market research, doesn't mean that I am paranoid. I am far more concerned about ATT working hand in hand with the NSA, than I am about Google maintaining records for a short period.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Google is far removed from thier "do no harm" motto. From activly supporting censorship in Communist China, to predatory practices

I agree completely with this.

Personally, I am not comfortable with any of the search engines. Even Yahoo, Nine MSN... you download it and it has taken over your computer.
I have a Yahoo, Google, MSN toolbars. All extra hidden things when you download them. I don't use them. All of them are attached to my email.

Of concern to me is the monopoly Google has over the IT. Years ago, Google wasn't number one, there were other search engines separate from Google, but now,the majority of alternate search engines still rely on Google. I am also suspicious of a lot of the free software available. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Trogan was originally created by the FBI.

I am not saying I don't agree with monitoring but and I will give you an example of how contradictive this issue is. I contacted ACMA, various Ministers, AFP regarding prohibited content online in Australia. What an absolute joke! After investigation, the content/sites were found to be prohibited and the provider was notified and a request was made to remove the prohibited material. I can still access this material online.

Google is monitoring users, who is monitoring Google? I can understand for criminal investigations, allowing prohibited content to be accessible online maybe a very easy way of locating and arresting offenders.

Sex Offenders Nabbed via Internet

I am concerned with any organisation that has a monopoly

oh had to include this, I just posted this and then read this:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Sensitive Military Files available online

anyone see a connection here?

[edit on 11-7-2007 by NJE777]

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Yup - Google does not control the birds or what they image. They just buy the data and format for easy use. If you don't like them or their toolbars or whatever don't use them. Slight problem though is that there are only a handful of global reach search engines with Google, Yahoo and MSN being the major standalone players that actually maintain the crawlers and compile the data and allow the searches. Google got ahead because they built a better mousetrap and they really are a few steps ahead of the others. Is that wrong, bad or evil..?? Like I said - don't use them - pretty simple. The net existed before them and will exist with or without them....

As for content stuff per the last post - things banned in some places are legal in others. Should a global search engine limit what it does to appease local rules, even if it operates it's systems in a country where things are legal..?? Should a search engine even try to weed out things and sanitize the net..?? That was not the intent from day one for any of the search engines. The crawlers crawl and find what they find. To pull info out or demand that they do so is blatant censorship and who or what gives anyone the right to preach or define what is "acceptable"..?? If you don't want to see it don't search for it - pretty simple. If you don't want your kids to see it, take personal responsibility and keep them away from it - pretty simple.

In the end, Google and other search engines provide a service that for the searchers is essentially free. We are also free to use it or not use it. To make demands of them runs counter to so many ideals that it is laughable that people try. It would be like me giving away a free brownie in the office to co-workers only to have people demand I change the brownie recipe so they can eat them. See the irony in that one..?? The same thing goes for accusing them of "spooky operations" - don't use them if you have concerns - pretty darn simple.

Oh wait - you can't live without your fix of things they do supply - then pipe down, stop complaining and worrying and get on with life. It's too short to even waste cycles over on this one and besides, Google has already on multiple occasions told the gov to stuff it when they've asked for info. Kinda seems like they are on the side of anonymous searching for the most part and only pony stuff up if they lose the court battle to do so....

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by UofCinLA
Google has already on multiple occasions told the gov to stuff it when they've asked for info. Kinda seems like they are on the side of anonymous searching for the most part and only pony stuff up if they lose the court battle to do so....

You seem much more confident of that than I am. You are right in the sense that one can choose not to use them, I suppose. Although, as I stated earlier, I don't really trust Yahoo anymore than I do Google... However, what is one to do?

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Google is a C.I.A. front and is being used to spy on people. It is a big part of their "Matrix" system to categorize, label, and arrange the people of the world into their little lists...

Don't fret most of you are ON THE RED LIST!!!

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
As far back as the early eighties i had heard about the government being able to see the date on a dime from space.And remember the internet came from our military. it was there closed communications network.Just goes to show that they will always be ten to twenty years ahead of us. Big brother is always watching and always has been. Bottom line is, if they want to find out something they have a multitude of ways to get the info they need. As far as them using Google or any other search engines , personally i say they can kiss by ars.Information has been sold through much worse organizations.Like the phone companies. I Called my aunt who i hadnt called in years right before i came out to stay for awhile. i had only called her the one time before showing up. I was seven states away. A couple of days after being there i got a phone call from a bill collector. The only place he could have gotten that number was through phone records. That is bad considering it is illegal for the phone company to release this info.So nobody is safe. Our freedom and privacy is gone. The only way to get it back is to fight and probably die for it. It is quite sad. They are much to big and powerful to go up against. We are now past the point of no return.So we need a plan B. Some way to sever our needs from society and live without all the technology that they control. improbable but not impossible.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join