It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You ever hurt yourself while 'stretching'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I just started my daily cycling routine and as I was sitting at the computer getting ready to go I decided to 'stretch' and I usually cross my arms over my head and extend the ribcage, left and right. Well after I was done stretching I felt this horrible ache around my neck down my mid-back. And now it hurts just to turn my head to the right or to look up. Felt like pinched nerves and really sore. What I hate about this is that stretching is meant to prevent injuries...I know I must have been stretching improperly. I'm in my twenties so it's not due to age. Should I see my chiropractor or should I wait it out?

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Sounds to me like you pulled a muscle. Take some ibuprofen or aspirin. Rest it, ice it. If it's still giving you intense pain after 24 hours of that, have it looked at.

And I'm not a doctor by any means, but have self-treated more injuries than I probably should have. No ill effects. Yet.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The fact that you have put stretching in quote/speach marks leads me to question the true nature of your 'stretching'

I suggest you start with more lighter and gentler stretching before moving on to the bending over backwards 'big' stretching.

~~ Failing that give it a good ice and then get some tiger balm on it ~~

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Actually, yes. I am in the military and last summer I was in FT Lee. We were beginning our morning PT and started with the stretches. We were doing a stretch known as the bent leg body twist, where you lay on your back, take a knee and stretch it over to the opposite side. During this I felt a pop in my lower back and had a sharp pain. I finished the session with a little discomfort and as the day progressed I began having trouble walking and sitting. By the next morning I could not get out of my rack without help and had to be assisted getting my uniform on. I was taken to the hospitol and after exams and x-rays they determined I had snapped my tail bone.
I was laid up for a few days and had trouble for the next five weeks. So yes it is possible to hurt yourself stretching, even when you are supposed to know what you are doing.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
see a chiropractor for sure
one with ART experience and or Matrix Repatterning if possible
(soft tissue approach)
Thompson Terminal Point is a nice chiro technique

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Y and I can say that it pains a lot!!!!

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Were you static stretching or dynamic stretching? I was always taught to go really slow and ease into the stretch (static), as opposed to "bouncing" into it (dynamic).

No, I've never hurt myself stretching, but I have nearly hurt myself because I didn't stretch.

top topics

join