It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1957 Automobile Buried In Time Capsule To Be Opened Soon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   

1957 Automobile Buried In Time Capsule To Be Opened Soon

www.urbantulsa.com

Traveling back in time is an impossibility within the range of existing technology (as far as we know, at least), even though Einstein figured out that it's theoretically possible.

While actual time travel is, as far as we know, a virtual impossibility (sans flux capacitor, anyway), "Tulsarama" facilitators are finding that approximating the experience also has its difficulties. Indeed, it might even have been a little easier to send a plutonium-powered De Lorean back 50 years than to bring a Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe into the present from 1957, it turns out.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I thought this was a pretty cool story. I haven't even thought of a Plymouth Belvedere in many years, then here's an essentially brand new 1957 model! A true slice of Americana, older than most A.T.S. members I'd wager. It will be unearthed on June 15 in Tulsa, Oklahoma where it's been buried in an airtight (hopefully still) container for fifty years! There are many other interesting 1957 artifacts buried with it as well.

www.urbantulsa.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/3/2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   
They put a bottle of tranquilizers in there too?

I'll volunteer to try it and see if they still work!

Pretty cool story.

[edit on 6/3/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I doubt Xanax existed in 1957. Most likely Valium, I'd guess. I'd also guess the cigarettes are a bit stale...

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAvenger
I doubt Xanax existed in 1957. Most likely Valium, I'd guess. I'd also guess the cigarettes are a bit stale...

Yeah that's what I thought after I read and wrote that. I doubt even Valium existed then. It's probably barbiturates.

edit:

Yeah, Valium wasn't approved for use until 1963.

[edit on 6/3/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Xanax wasn't around in 1957.

If this report is correct it's more likely a barbiturate.

The first benzodiazepine, of which Xanax is but one, was not "invented" until 1957 and the results of the analysis that determined what it was and what it did was not finished until July of 1957, a month after the car was "planted."

www.psych.org...

Alprazolam (Xanax) was patented in 1969.

en.wikipedia.org...

It will be interesting indeed if it does turn out to be a bottle of Librium, which didn't hit the market until 1960.

[edit on 2007/6/3 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Most likely a barbiturate, as you gents have sleuthed. I wonder how much the fine for the parking ticket has grown? They could have put some good liquor in there for aging too.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Well, I hope we will get some feedback on the outcome.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The recovery of the car will be televised. Whether it will be nationally televised at noon when it happens, I don't know. I will follow up next Friday at any rate.

I trust the old 50s craftsmen, and think it will be in absolute cherry condition. I suspect the tires are flat and probably dry rotted, as well as the belts and hoses.
If it was truly sealed airtight, I could be wrong about the weathering. Surely the battery was removed before it was sealed. Only prudent, I would think.

Only a few days until she comes out.

[edit on 6/4/2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   

The car itself is supported by jack stands atop steel I-beams.

www.urbantulsa.com...

It's hard to tell how well the car held up.

The fact that so little was documented regarding the setup really doesn't instill much confidence in me.

If it's really sealed up and there's no standing water, it might be okay, but if there is, humidity alone can really play havoc on metal parts.

My father owned a '57 Fury, by the way.

[edit on 2007/6/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Here's another link or two with perhaps a little more information:

Buried
Tulsa Car

The Buried Car

Tulsa Car In Time Capsule

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
You know, I was pretty young when my dad owned that '57 Fury. I do remember that he didn't have it long, but I always thought that his getting rid of it had more to do with his going back to school than the quality of the car.

I do remember this, however. Even though my grandfather remained loya to Chrysler for many years, my father never owned another, even though he bought a new car about every three years.

Belvederes looked great but didn't last long

By the way, I hope it comes out in pristine condition.

[edit on 2007/6/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Cars are built much better today in many, many ways. Still, I will never forget my ride in a brand new '56 Chevy Belair our neighbor bought. I was in it when it turned over it's first 2,000 miles. I owned a '59 Ford Fairlane myself as my first car. Later a 1966 Fairlane convertible. I never bought Chrysler products save one Plymouth Voyager in about 1988. I drive a Nissan Xterra these days.

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The car comes out tomorrow, but the initial news is not good.

Buried Car Likely In Bad Shape

apc

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

It will be unclear whether the car will run until probably Friday, she said.

That has to be a joke...

There is no way it will run. Even if it's in pristine condition, the valves and cylinders will be oil-free and seized. It'll probably be fine after a rebuild, but I sure hope someone doesn't hook up a battery and turn the key! They'll destroy it!

posted on Jun, 14 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Check out the video from Tulsa World.

www.tulsaworld.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

That has to be a joke...

There is no way it will run. Even if it's in pristine condition, the valves and cylinders will be oil-free and seized. It'll probably be fine after a rebuild, but I sure hope someone doesn't hook up a battery and turn the key! They'll destroy it!

Boyd Coddington and crew from The Learning Channel's Hot Rod show are there to help get it going.

Unearthing the car

[edit on 6/15/2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the car turned out to be very rusted and water damaged. It will never run. There are some good artifacts however, especially from a container of documents and trinkets that was welded shut which did not leak.

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I gave up trying to watch that clip about raising the Belvedere, but knowing how it ends, I have to say that that was pretty pathetic. All that fanfare to exhume a rust bucket.

The Titanic is in better shape.

[edit on 2007/6/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 15 2007 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I must agree. I hope that any future autos placed in a "time capsule" will have their storage conditions better thought out. What a shame, it could have been stored in a common above ground warehouse and fared much, much better.

[edit on 6/15/2007 by TheAvenger]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join