It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

should I step down?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
As chissler pointed out so nicely my grammar sometimes can be bad
So i have started using word before posting a reply or topic.

I don’t really want to carry on posting new topics and replies
Knowing that it’s just going to fall on def ears.

So i just want to know will my grammar make you think twice about my views and opinions and what i believe in.

This isn’t a questions topic
But what you the voters think of me so far and if you think I should keep running.

[edit on 3-6-2007 by bodrul]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Well, even though I'm a fellow candidate, I am still technically a voter as well,
so I figure I'll answer.

I don't think you should step down unless you want to, personally I don't really pay to
much attention to the quality of your writing (except for the fact that you don't capitalize 'I'),
so it's not something that would be an issue that would effect if I were voting for you.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I don't think you should step down based on the use and lack of proper grammar.

I certainly mess up my fair share of posts with grammatical errors and etc. But that is not going to stop me. The only people that are going to be swayed by this are people that are hung up about proper spelling and punctuation. If they are that hung up about it they are not reading what you are saying anyway and they probably won't matter in the end.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
No don't stop running just for that.

If Bush had done that, he'd have never been the real President. and this is just for fun.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Any writer worth his salt has a spell checker and grammer checker and fact checker and editor to bring it all together. Most people can't afford that though and aren't out to sell a million books.

If it really bothers you, write in MS Word or some other document program and use the spell/grammer function to insure you're speaking English.

Writing is a skill like any other skill. The more you practice it the better you will become at it.

My advice comes down to this:

If you are just posting on the board and contributing to conversation, don't worry about it.

If you are making a policy statement about why you should be elected, run it thru spell/grammer check and make sure you are being clear and concise.

The best platform in the world can be laughed at if it's stated poorly. Where the election is concerned, take the time to make sure you get it right.

If you're willing to take those steps than no, you should not drop out of the race.

These are just my humble thoughts on it,

wupy

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
firstly thanks

nice to know people wont be scrutinising my grammar
this has been a good moral boost for me

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
You know, I don't think I've ever noticed much in the way of grammar issues with you. Getting your point across is what really matters.

Stay in the game, and keep it interesting!

[edit on 3-6-2007 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I would not be in this election if I was not prepared to create professional quality political commentary that will be viewed by tens of thousands of people.

Above Politics stands to gain a lot depending on the quality of the president we elect.
There is also an opportunity in this position if a candidate makes the most of it.

Consider what the elected president will actually have to do. The winners will be responsible for generating political content from November of '07 to November of '08.

This isn't just a vanity contest or an ATS game. This is a paid position as a political commentator on the biggest and best website of its kind. The content generated by the president will have a large audience (god knows how large given ATS' track record of evolution and growth).

As such it demands a tremendous level of political awareness and savvy, and the skill to communicate effectively.

This will mean keeping tabs on the news, understanding our nation's politics, being willing to invest time in research, and composing well-thought-out, intelligible content.

To answer your question: If you believe that you can provide timely and astute political commentary for our community in a way that reflects positively on yourself, the members, and Above Politics, then you should stay in the race.

If, on the other hand, you are concerned that the quality of your commentary both in substance and in form may be viewed in a generally unfavorable light by visitors, it would be prudent to step back to a level of involvement that you are comfortable with.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond

This isn't just a vanity contest or an ATS game. This is a paid position as a political commentator on the biggest and best website of its kind.

You had me at PAID. mrwupy for President

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Bodrul don't step down for bad grammar, or any other reason. We're all only human. We all make mistakes. Bad spelling. Bad judgements, but we don't beat ourselves up, nor expect to be beaten up mercilessly for them.

It is not that what you say falls on deaf ears. You take one perspective and others take another perspective. You do add value by arguing the alternate viewpoints so take comfort from the fact.

Take comfort that those with different viewpoints have to take account of yours and so you limit the extremes of your opponents.

If you believe in what you say fight for it.

It's a rough world and sometimes we have to go through personal hardships to fight for our views. Your views aren't worthless and neither are you.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Yes, drop out. OR FACE MY DEBATE SKILLS.

Just kidding. You do know that English is a WIDE language. Even with a spell checker you'll get anomolies if the program is American based.

Flavour

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 04:05 AM
link   
bodrul,

Stay in the race. It's the concepts that I am interested in. And have you seen some of my posts for grammer??

Intrepid,

Flavour

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Put your chin up & walk tall dont step down just because of comments just take it on the chin & laugh hang in there

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
As your competition for President, I strongly urge you and all the other candidate tickets to step down.

I'm not here to stroke anyone's ego, mate. Especially not my competition. Only you can decide if you're qualified for the job, and if you want it bad enough to work for it.

I personally enjoy our banter back and forth, and I think you have some good insight into a wide variety of topics. However, I'd be lying if I didn't say grammar and spelling aren't an important part of effective communication. No one on ATS is expecting every post to be letter-dot-perfect from every user. However, a certain degree of proficiency and professionalism in English should be expected and demanded from the President of an English speaking nation.

If, for instance, we were running for the Presidency of France, then one would expect tu a parles en Francais correctment, avec la grammaire appropriée.

I've never even bothered checking against your grammar or spelling, because, to be honest, I've never had a need to yet. But if you feel that your grasp of either could be an impediment to your ability to serve as ATS President of the USA, then if you want the position, the obvious answer would be to work to improve it as best you can, as quickly as possible.

If, however, you intend on asking your competition if you should drop out, the obvious answer will be "yes". If you want the position, your question should not be "should I drop out?", but rather "what do I need to do to win?"

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Bodrul of course you should remain in the race my grammar isnt the best but it certainly wouldn't considered it a reason to step out of the race. I cant speak for anyone else but I can understand the ideas that you convey in your posts.

Cheers xpert11.

new topics

top topics

join