It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Modest Proposal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BO XIAN
Pondering . . . I'm curious if there's really enough info on #10 for a course. Seems to me that would better be lumped into say a "UFO'S PRE 1947/Roswell" or some such. Trying to imagine myself as an instructor for that course and I think the references would be minimal without broadening it some. Even broadening it . . . seems like a few weeks worth of material vs a course worth.

Just examples thrown together all at once. For #10 you could do a pre Roswell. But I do think there's enough material. I know von Daniken is not well thought of, but there are other authors that have handled older stuff.

I would think we could pull together a 'sample course' in the style of the college (the way they normally handle new courses) if they are at all interested, to prove it could be done. Sure, I'd like to work on getting this off the ground.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Let me know what you think you'll need from us.. . . it could take a little time to implement . . .

FOLLOWING IS AN INITIAL DRAFT TO MY DEAN. INPUT INVITED . . . with the caveat that I would not expect to please all commentators. And, I may not post the final version except to Springer by 2u2 . . .

Dear Dean . . .,

RE Course/degree proposal

It has come to the realization of several compadres and myself on the largest website devoted to the topic that this subject, to our knowledge, does not have even a bona fide Community College course of any significant substance and certainly not a degree program. Whenever anything significant and new surfaces, there is persistently record breaking interest in the occasional media or TV treatment of the topic. It seems to me, our College could easily be a forerunner in this subject area.

The subject is UFO's--a hobby of mine since Jr High. The largest website on the topic is

WWW.ABOVETOPSECRET.COM...

A summary of their recent [last 6 months stats] is as follows:

[Springer, could you offer something for here?]

There is a community oriented ONE LECTURE course at Yavapai College in AZ. And, occasional flash-in-the-pan courses of a similar nature have cropped up from time to time here and there.

The late Dr John Mack--a Chief Psychiatrist at Harvard Medical School was a leader in some of the ground breaking research in the field. Alas, he suffered the usual . . . harrassment of colleagues and others for his interest and solid research on the topic.

So, the topic would certainly entail controversy. However, there is a wealth of material that could support even a BA degree in the topic.

It could be approached as basically a sociological phenomena. My preference would be for a cross-disciplinary perspective looking fair-mindedly at all aspects of the phenomena and I believe that would be the consensus of what is most desirable from the ATS membership.

ATS has a wealth of well read lay experts on the topic as well as many members devoted to exploring the topic. It would be an excellent collaborative organization with which to kick-off and maintain such a degree program or even merely an initial set of courses to see what the interest was in such a line of study.

Attached is an off-the-top-of-our-heads list of courses which we are convinced could readily be supported by a wealth of material and potentially even some internationally known instructors were it set-up to be administered online.

I hope thi sis sufficient info to toss the idea into the hopper for consideration. Please feel free to ask me any questions you think might be fruitful or just your curiosity.

"Springer" is one of the chief administrators of the website with excellent connections at the websites' home in the UK as well as across the pond in the U.S. I can probably obtain his email should you wish to communicate with him directly.

Sincerely,

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The traffic stats are roughly, 15,000,000 page views a month and 2-3,000,000 visitors a month.

I have contacted a very close associate/friend of mine who is a world class researcher (forensic medicine) and personally knows several people who may or may not be interested in this including like Jacques Valle (who most likely will NOT be interested himself) et-al.

Please don't misconstrue my economy of words/replies here as a lack of interest it is NOT, I am HUGELY busy with several major deals that will take ATS to the next level in the next few weeks.

More when I know it.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   
THANKS TONS, SPRINGER,

BTW WILCO on your name.

HOW could I get the following mini-needs assessment/interest survey posted on ATS in a way that would maximize input and perhaps tabulate (if easily practical) etc? Hate to bother you but think it would be a potent thing to take into the Dean.

SURVEY:

1. How likely would it be (1-10=near CERTAIN) that you, personally, online, would take

A) 1 course in UFOLOGY _____

B) 3 or more courses _____

C) As many courses as offered that I could manage _____

D) A full Associates Degree batch of courses _____

E) A full BA Degree batch of courses _____

2. A) Would you prefer cheaper community based courses without grading and credit (1-10; 10=MOST) _____
or

B) a full credit, degree earning series of courses (1-10; 10=MOST) _____
or

C) both? (1-10; 10=MOST) _____

The traffic stats are roughly, 15,000,000 page views a month and 2-3,000,000 visitors a month.

I have contacted a very close associate/friend of mine who is a world class researcher (forensic medicine) and personally knows several people who may or may not be interested in this including like Jacques Valle (who most likely will NOT be interested himself) et-al.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
NOTE ALL:

Per Springer's suggestion . . . I have posted a SURVEY ONLY thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please keep discussion here but respond there to the survey.

You can copy and paste the whole thing and answer within the copied chunk without bothering about quote unquote.

Thx in advance

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join