It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis Smoker Says, "My lungs are damaged beyond repair."

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk

The holes in Samantha Wilson's lungs are getting bigger.

There is no cure for her illness and if it continues to get worse it will eventually kill her.

Samantha is 37 and has emphysema, a progressive condition normally associated with older people who have smoked tobacco regularly throughout their lives.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-6-2007 by UM_Gazz]

apc

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Get out your vaporizers kids 'cause smoking that wacky tobacky is killing you!

Please thread responders, do not share your personal habits. Nor spout off, "Well if you smoke in moderation..."

I post this to inform, not debate. I have encountered far too many hippies totally ignorant of the health problems they might look forward to later in life. If some information can help cure them (of their ignorance...), all the better.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Wishing does not make it so:

Myth: Marijuana is More Damaging to the Lungs Than Tobacco. Marijuana smokers are at a high risk of developing lung cancer, bronchitis, and emphysema.

Fact: Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.

www.drugpolicy.org...

This is from the book Marijuana Myths, Marijuana Facts -- written by actual physicians after reviewing all medical evidence.

Now, the things that are used on the cannabis when grown CAN have an effect. The fertilizers, pesticides, etc., used by unscrupulous growers to increase their profits are the culprits.

Having had experience with the quality of imported medicine in England, she probably got emphysema from the additives -- maybe even the London pollution. But it wasn't the cannabis by itself.

the most common way of smoking cannabis in Europe is the spliff -- cannabis mixed with tobacco in a cigarette. Why is no one mentioning the tobacco? Because it's anti-cannabis propaganda. Disinformation.

And I have a doctor's recommendation in my state, so I can legally use it as medicine so I am not breaking the T&C for talking about this.

[edit on 3-6-2007 by MajorMalfunction]

apc

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I developed asthma about a month after quitting.

This is not propaganda.

The article does state tobacco may be involved.

The article also states this patient has smoked for twenty years.

It doesn't matter if you're smoking tobacco, cannabis, or catnip. Smoke from burning plant matter damages the lungs.

I refer you to the first line of my article comments.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:55 AM
link   
MM - yes as a medicine "pot" has it's uses, and the air in London err sucks.

BUT

How many other mammals suffer from these kinds of lung problems?

When a forrest fire starts, do the animals: get closer and start sniffing or; do they run like f%%%?

My point - putting smoke (whatever kind) in to your lungs, which are made to breath air, is not a very clever idea. Maybe one kind is safer than the other. But in general terms it's not the most sensible thing to be doing.

We do it, we enjoy it, but we have to pay the piper (so to speak!)

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Theres a shocker.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   

apc

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Again, please leave out your personal habits.

It's not that hard to get your point across while remaining within the confines of the T&C.

>
Looks like the target of this response has been deleted... this was not directed at you Lysergic.

[edit on 3-6-2007 by apc]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 12:10 AM
link   

"There should be adverts showing people like me."

news.bbc.co.uk...

That won't help.

No one ever thinks it will happen to them.

By the time you become mature enough to realize that bad things do happen to everyone sooner or later, it's often too late.

Some twenty years ago, Yul Brenner made a video tape of himself begging young people not to smoke, while he himself was dying of lung cancer.

The videos started running almost immediately after his death.

I sincerely doubt that smokers under the age of 40 even know who Yul Brenner was, much less what his message was.

[edit on 2007/6/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I've never heard of a death from weed.

I don't smoke ANYTHING so don't think I'm trying to make one of THOSE kinds of points

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
well smoking anything over time has it's consequences on the lungs. You can always ingest THC in many other forms that aren't carcinogenic. again not that I would know because the plant cannabis sativa and it's sub species cannabis indica and cannabis ruderalis are illigal plants to be in contact with in any shape or form in the United States of America.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I find that HARD to believe.

Snoop still sounds the same in his songs, and he smokes like a chimney.

Cheech apparently still sounds fine, as he was on Nash Bridges.

Willie Nelson's old ass still performs.

Sounds like BS to me. Especially since Europeans apparently like to smoke spliffs (thanks for that info, MM; now I know what Slick Rick was talking about).

Besides, it's America's #1 cash crop, so we obviously don't care anyway.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   

the most common way of smoking cannabis in Europe is the spliff -- cannabis mixed with tobacco in a cigarette. Why is no one mentioning the tobacco? Because it's anti-cannabis propaganda. Disinformation
word!!

and SMOKE in general doesn't belong in your lungs. but nothing wrong with a little something sometimes . also has anyone thought about the harms of butane lighters?
has anyone tried smoking with the sunlight and magnifying glass?

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Surprisingly, many rappaz credit weed as the brain behind their lyrics

posted on Jun, 5 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Bill Hicks:See I think, drugs have some done good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us. Do me a favor, go home tonight, take all your albums, all your tapes, and all your CDs, and burn them. 'Cause you know what? The musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Reeeeeeeal *** high on drugs.-

-Today young men on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.-

-It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom is what it is, okay?. Keep that in mind at all times, thank you.-

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
So 1 of 10,000,000 gets lung cancer, now it's a suuper wrong and it's killing all our children. Look out America!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The holes in the lungs may have been caused by smoking contaminated weed that has been doing the rounds in the UK for years. It's called gritweed, Its weed that has been sprayed with what some have said is silica dust. The dust is meant to look like THC crystals. So when this grit weed is smoked the silica dust heats up way more than the weed and punctures small holes in the lungs.

It has been a scourge on the streets with no signs of changing.

www.gritweed.co.uk...
edit on 19-12-2010 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Well, this really isn't a knock against marijuana since it doesn't need to be smoked to be used. Burning almost any substance will create some or many carcinogens. The people who tout this as a reason to continue prohibition would be wise to back away slowly because this is a straw and it would be painfully obvious if a drug warrior were to grab it.

edit on 19-12-2010 by SmokeandShadow because: added more

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Am I supposed to be surprised? Smoking any carbon based material will cause damage to your lungs. You could smoke broccoli and see the same effect.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

I developed asthma about a month after quitting.

There's you're problem. Cannabis helps prevent asthma.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join