It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Agent and computer performance..

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloudx
Hey is this normal? Im working on a WU and to get to 50% it takes 5hr 45 mins. I have a P4 and 512 Ram and I am constantly using the computer. Is this becasue I am always using it that it is slow?

Hi cloudx!!

It really depends what programs you're running at the time. I run S@h constantly in the background ie not as a screensaver. My P4 2.6Ghz with 512 RAM completes a WU in around 4 hours. However, if I play a game, then the time goes up accordingly, as S@h is "designed" to release the CPU when other programs need it. The, my time to complete a WU goes up accordingly.

My P4 2 Ghz machine, with 256MbRAM, takes around 6 hours per WU incidentally.

Check some of the maintenance tasks on your machine, like we've suggested as well, like defragging, running a disk cleaning program etc. All these can help your machine perform more efficiently.

Good luck!

who

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Run a good program like pest patrol, gets rid of all the spyware you get from surfing around. Makes an INCREDIBLE difference, even if you have firewalls. The program is cheap and well worth the money. gets rid of cookies too. I bought executive disk keeper online for defraging, it sets up a time automatically to defrag your computer every day in the background, you dont even know its happeneing. very sweet programs that make my computer run silky smooth. I have XP on one machine and 2000 on another, work units are consistantly faster on the 2000 machine. the xp machine has a faster processor too.

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by who
I have XP on one machine and 2000 on another, work units are consistantly faster on the 2000 machine. the xp machine has a faster processor too.

Interesting - thanx for the info re different O/S's!!

Yes, DK is extremely good - very fast compared to the defragger that comes with WinXP!! Thanx for the "gen" on Pest Control as well - I've heard of it but haven't tried it. I use Tweak XP Pro, Smart Cleaner, Easy Cleaner and Internet Sweeper for main cleaning purposes (there is some duplication of resources!!) but each has it's merits.

I also run Lavasoft Adaware, as it is very easy to configure, is updated regulary (it seems almost daily at times!) and it sure does find data miners and the like.

I'll go check out Pest Patrol, however, and consider...

Cheers who!!

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by Genya]

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
If it was not mentioned Spybot is another wonderful, free download to help clean unwanted niggles from your system like Adaware.

who

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Spybot is good too, thanks for adding that. I used to use this as well, but it seemed to miss some things that pest patrol would catch. I got rid of it and use adaware and pestpatrol. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

posted on Feb, 6 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Thanks for the advice. I use diskeeper and ad-adware and spybot. I also use seti@home in the background. Ill try defragging and see what happens.

posted on Feb, 7 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudx
Thanks for the advice. I use diskeeper and ad-adware and spybot. I also use seti@home in the background. Ill try defragging and see what happens.

You're welcome cloudx!!

How did it perform?? And, did you use a "cleaning up" program before defragging too? Smart Cleaner is very good - removes temp files and all sorts of accumalted "rubbish" that Windows leaves behind.

Good luck!!

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genya

Originally posted by who
I have XP on one machine and 2000 on another, work units are consistantly faster on the 2000 machine. the xp machine has a faster processor too.

Interesting - thanx for the info re different O/S's!!

Yes, DK is extremely good - very fast compared to the defragger that comes with WinXP!! Thanx for the "gen" on Pest Control as well - I've heard of it but haven't tried it. I use Tweak XP Pro, Smart Cleaner, Easy Cleaner and Internet Sweeper for main cleaning purposes (there is some duplication of resources!!) but each has it's merits.

I also run Lavasoft Adaware, as it is very easy to configure, is updated regulary (it seems almost daily at times!) and it sure does find data miners and the like.

I'll go check out Pest Patrol, however, and consider...

Cheers who!!

[Edited on 6-2-2004 by Genya]

Be VERY careful with Pest Patrol, it listed MANY programs as backdoor and trojan programs that absolutely were NOT....I found it just TOO much hassle to have to double check EVERYTHING it wanted to remove before allowing it to remove things...
For example... It detects VNC as a backdoor program! VNC does not hide from you, and requires you to enter a password when you set it up. It is a remote access program that lets me use my home computer from work(and vice versa.) I highly recommend it to anyone who needs such functionality, as the source code is available and if you are REALLY paranoid, you can compile it yourself and KNOW that it does not contain anything 'extra.'
And that was one that I could at least understand it flagging as a POSSIBLE risk...But NO...It outright stated it as a hacker tool and that it must be removed!
The others it found were less understandable than that!!!
AdAware and Spybot do not have this problem at all.
Also be careful of a lot of the other spyware removal programs out there...A LOT of them have provisions in the EULA(if you read them) that allow them to install their OWN spyware and adware on your machine!!!

On win2000 or xp, the command line version of Seti@home will run a LOT faster. In some cases, even faster than the Linux version...
My Pentum 366 machine running Linux completed 2-3 units in the time it took my Pentum 700 win98SE machine to complete 1 unit!!!

My AthlonThunderbird 900 xp machine runs about 2 to 3 units in the time my Pentum4 1.7 Win2000 machine does 1 unit.

[Edited on 17-3-2004 by jamesraykenney]

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Hi JRK!!

Thanx for all your comments re spyware, Pest Control etc. I use Adaware and SpyBot Search and Destroy here.

Thanx, too, for your observations re the Command Line program and the observations as per AMD and Pentium - there is a comparison on the SETI@home web site here which tends to show that AMD have the edge. I *don't* know how the "new" (relatively) hyperthreading Pentiums match up but perhaps someone who's using one could let us know?

I expect you'll overhaul me in good time JRK - as well as Spectre, DirtyDevil is the one to watch for - not forgetting yourself, of course!!

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
My limited experience with the Hyperthreading P4's indicated that they don't have much of an advantage over the regular CPUs in sheer number crunching but do stand out becuse you can run multiple units simultaneously. On a 3.06 Ghz HT machine I had set up I could run 8 WU at a time, completing them in about 25% faster than it would have taken the same machine to finish them one at a time. If you really multi-task they are worth the price you have to pay.

The results I want to see most are the 64bit AMD CPUs which are supposed to slightly edge out the older processors when running 32bit code like SETI. I have not kept up with BIONC like I should so I don't know what its plans are as far as releasing 64bit optimised versions. It will be a very long time before I can assemble a 64bit machine + OS + apps anyway so it is merely an academic interest for me.

posted on Mar, 23 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   

It will be a very long time before I can assemble a 64bit machine + OS + apps anyway so it is merely an academic interest for me.

I am planing to get one in the next month or so....I had decided on the abit motherboard, and then I notices something...It has no serial or parallel ports
!!!
ARGHHhhhhhhhh
I have a LOT of serial and parallel devices that I do not intend to give up...Like a $300.00 graphic tablet that works just fine, not to mention a 3.2GB tape drive that I never use anymore

posted on Mar, 24 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Hi JRK!!

All very interesting stuff regarding your proposed project. Have serial ports, etc, been "superseded" now, in favour of, say USB, firewire etc?? I know my 2.6Ghz machine *didn't* have any floppy disc fitted, erring instead for DVD re-writer and CDRW... Such is the rate of change, I guess??

And, all ok on "obselesence": I have a Psion 3a organiser that I used extensively to write stories on (don't ask!) and that is not compatable with WinXP, so I'm afraid it sits there now looking very forlorn and neglected (but it's a shame if it got thrown away, if you know what I mean?)

Please keep us informed of how you get on with the project James - it sounds a good piece of kit!!

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I was reading the posted messages, and I would like to add two things:

1) About what do I do in order to keep the pc free of dirty cookies/Spy process/etc I favor Adaware, it is great.

2) In order to improve SETI performance:
2.1) Use the CLI version (it allowed me to use my dual CPU machine, with two Cli opened on different SETI folders). The GUI Version does not know how to use 2 cpus for crunching, so it uses one cpu to crunch and the other to do the graphics...way bad...

2.2) I use RamDiskXP for the SETI folders, so all data and temp files are in RAM, it really speed things up and at the same time frees the HD for other stuff.

2.3) I use ShutDownPlus for windows in order to Sync the Ram Disk with the HD when shutting down windows. Sadly RamDiskXP sync only when starting up windows but does nothing when shutting down, so its easy to loose your work on a RAM disk.

Hope this ideas helps a bit,

DaGa

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Hi Daga!!

Welcome to the ATS SETI@home team - and for the great tips!!

Thanx, too, for "using the Index" - or trawling the board for "relevant" posts. That way, it keeps things - more or less - organised and we have a chance to keep up with progress on various threads!!

Thanx for joning the team Daga - and for "donating2 your machine(s) to the greater good!!

posted on Mar, 25 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Glad to see this thread is still usefull. Welcome to you new SETI members!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join