It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Agent and computer performance..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nwscc

Defrag on Win2K3 is awesome. Better than XP!

Happy crunching!!

Hi nwscc!!

I use "Diskeeper Lite" here, which is extremely fast compared to WinXP defragger!!

And all ok on the "mega work units" - you'll be catching Bob88 yet!!

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Dirty Devil has caught up and passed me overnight.

I like diskeeper. I'm just computer poor though

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I'm already a SETI member and trying to switch to this group but it won't let me. Never was with a group before though.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Nevermind... scratch that last message.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by nwscc
Dirty Devil has caught up and passed me overnight.

I like diskeeper. I'm just computer poor though

AH!! The old "caught up" syndrome, eh, nwscc? It's very alarming when that happens - BUT the "extra" WU's for the team are most welcome!!

Diskeeper earns it's keep (so to say): very impressed with it... "Set it and forget it"!!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by htown
Nevermind... scratch that last message.

Cheers ht!! Duly noted!!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
guys, I'm running a 2gig p4 with only 256 megs (ddrsdram) and I run seti continuously... I never know its there..avg time per wu is 6.0 hours

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberpilot
guys, I'm running a 2gig p4 with only 256 megs (ddrsdram) and I run seti continuously... I never know its there..avg time per wu is 6.0 hours

Hi cyberpilot!!

Yes, that sounds about what I get from my P4 2Ghz - with 256MbRAM - as well!! Join the club!!

My 2.6Ghz P4 - with 512MbRAM - averages about 4 hours in comparison.

Thanx for the WU's cp!!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
4 hours rocks! I'm not a member of the ats team...someone persuade me?

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
hi cyberpilot . What can I say. just that everyone on the team is made to feel very welcome. The way that ATS is growing our team can only get bigger and bigger.
I've found that there is always someone here to answer any questions that you may have about SETI and usually you don't have to wait too long for a reply to any of your comments or questions.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberpilot
4 hours rocks! I'm not a member of the ats team...someone persuade me?

*Can *I* persuade you cp??

I've *just* posted an "update" on ATS SETI@home stats, which clicking on the signature below will take you to: essentailly, were fast approachig 60kWU's for the team!!

However, *more* members would get us there faster - and to 100k WU's too!!

Have a look at the ATS SETI@home discussion boards please and see if you'd like to join in. It's free....!!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
hi cyberpilot . What can I say. just that everyone on the team is made to feel very welcome.

Cheers pantha!!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a good program to get rid of those extra processes is system mechanic by iolo...also adaware is awsome just got it and it cleaned up comp quick also hi to the seti members of ats cheers guys

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I'm using a P4 2.4([email protected]) 1 GiG DDR and am making up some serious ground.

82) TrickmastertricK 53 235 hr 55 min 4 hr 27 min 05.1 sec Thu Jan 22 11:18:44 2004 United States

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by chimpchimp
a good program to get rid of those extra processes is system mechanic by iolo...also adaware is awsome just got it and it cleaned up comp quick also hi to the seti members of ats cheers guys

Hi CC!!

Thanx for the info re System Mechanic: I'll check it out, as I'm quite partial to such programs!! I use Tweak XP Pro here, which has a number of useful features, as well as others too, like Easy Cleaner, Smart Cleaner, etc. Cleans out the "temp" files which Windows generates very well!!

Adaware is very good too - it can be scary when you "first" run it and find all the data miners, etc, that sites have put on your system. Adaware is updated regularly, so I tend to check about every two days for updates and then scan the system - probably takes about 5 minutes in total!!

And, finally, (but by no means less important!!) a BIG welcome to ATS SETI@home cc!!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK

82) TrickmastertricK 53 235 hr 55 min 4 hr 27 min 05.1 sec Thu Jan 22 11:18:44 2004 United States

Welcome Trickmastertrick!!

Thanx for the WU "contribution" to the team!!
We'll be at 100 kWU's very soon!

See if you can catch Bob88 - he's running scared now!!

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Helo. I just joined seti and i will now run the seti client for as long as my computer is on. I thought I should help out. The performance on my computer is still good even though i have 44 processes running. I am using a Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz and 512 Ram. I can't even tell it is on. You guys should try x-teq setup. It is a good tweaking program that I am using.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agnis

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
If you allow SETI to run always on your computer, it'll use about 64 megabytes of memory continuously in the 'background'.

I have 256 megabytes of memory and the pc runs fine, that's of course when you have a good processor chip

Nope, less than 64!
And what do you mean by good chip. I use my good old AMD thunderbird 1.3 and everything works fine.

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Agnis]
A good chip like my "2200+ AMD Athlon XP 1.8 GHz processor", she purrs like a kitten.

This chip works excellent with the Seti@home working in the background, while browsing the net, or just running other basic applications.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
This chip works excellent with the Seti@home working in the background, while browsing the net, or just running other basic applications.

Hi Immortal!!

Good to know: here I use two*P4 machines. However, a link off the SETI@home page gives an interesting comparison between AMD/ Intel chips

Happy reading!

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hey is this normal? Im working on a WU and to get to 50% it takes 5hr 45 mins. I have a P4 and 512 Ram and I am constantly using the computer. Is this becasue I am always using it that it is slow?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join