It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SETI Agent and computer performance..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Hey I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how the SETI program effects your computers performance adn memory as mine has been very slow of late . Does SETI use the computers memory to store it's data? If so how much? CAn anyone on the team help?

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by earthtone]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
If you allow SETI to run always on your computer, it'll use about 64 megabytes of memory continuously in the 'background'.

I have 256 megabytes of memory and the pc runs fine, that's of course when you have a good processor chip.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Thank you for the response. I do sometimes have it running but usually I set it to just being activated as the screensaver. Does it eat up your memory?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by IMMORTAL
If you allow SETI to run always on your computer, it'll use about 64 megabytes of memory continuously in the 'background'.

I have 256 megabytes of memory and the pc runs fine, that's of course when you have a good processor chip

Nope, less than 64!
And what do you mean by good chip. I use my good old AMD thunderbird 1.3 and everything works fine.

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by Agnis]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I dont have any problem with performance at all, however, I have noticed that the Seti program will cause some problems with NERO 6 and a couple of other programs I use.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Hey I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how the SETI program effects your computers performance ...
[Edited on 6-1-2004 by earthtone]

Hi earthtone!!

Agnis's screenshot explains all (cheers Agnis!
) but just to reassure you: SETI@home *does* use your "spare" CPU cycles - but releases the CPU when your applications need it. So, for example, my computers are on all the time and run SETI@home continuously - at around 99% according to Task Manager - BUT release the CPU when, say, I'm games-playing!!

As for your machine slowing down, have you used, say, a program to clean up all the temp files etc that Windows creates (assuming you use Windows as an OS?). Something like Smart Cleaner will do this for you. Also, have you defragged your machine recently (once you've "cleaned" it??) This can really speed your machine up...

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
...Also, have you defragged your machine recently (once you've "cleaned" it??) This can really speed your machine up...

This is a basic housekeeping task which is often overlooked by users, not just in relation to the SETI client, but in general. I try to defrag at least once bi-monthly - yes it's boring as hell and if you have a large HDD it can take quite a while, but it's very worth it and essential if your PC is going to be working at optimum speeds.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by UniversalFictionI try to defrag at least once bi-monthly - yes it's boring as hell and if you have a large HDD it can take quite a while, but it's very worth it and essential if your PC is going to be working at optimum speeds.

All agreed UF: that's one of the benefits of having two machines - one can be "played with" whilst the other is defragging!

I have quite a few system tools here to try to ensure the machines run efficiently and - hopefuly - have no "nasties" on them. For example, Adaware is a freeware program that can trap spyware etc that lurks on machines, just in case some readers don't know of this. It's freeware and updated regularly, so well worth downloading IMHO. Another useful (freeware) tool is EasyCleaner which can clean the registry as well as clean up the hard drive of temp files etc. I use all these on WinXP machines with no problems but recommend you run "System restore" before using, just in case (as when installing any new software of course).

Apologies to have wandered off the thread by the way but thought the discussion was potentially useful?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   
yeh this stuff is usefull, thanks for the info. What exactely is 'de-fragging' ?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   

yeh this stuff is usefull, thanks for the info. What exactely is 'de-fragging' ?

I believe they're referring to the disk defragmenter. I am not knowledgeable when it comes to these machines, but mine can be found under Accessories, System Tools, then Disk Defragmenter.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think system performance is also affected by what OS you run and how much other sh�t is running (look at your task bar). I can do WUs 2 hours faster on my Windows 2000 Pro hard drive than I can on my Windows Me harddrive. I'm running a Pentium 900 or somewhere thereabouts with 256 MB RAM, and manage to do WUs somewhere between 7 and 9 hours, depending on which harddrive I'm using and whatever else I'm running at the time. I've only found that I have problems with my CD burning software, and only then if I'm running Internet Explorer and 2 or more messengers.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   

All agreed UF: that's one of the benefits of having two machines - one can be "played with" whilst the other is defragging!

It's alright for some! I knew I shouldn't have loaned out my old Celeron box

Another tip - if you're using Windows XP, I'd recommend getting ahold of TweakXP or TweakXP Pro - it's an excellent application for cleaning up your system. It has a really good RAM optimisation tool. I just ran it a few minutes ago... I had 95Mb of RAM available to start with, and 186Mb available after it had run. No idea what it's doing, but it makes a difference that's surely gotta be good for your WU count!!

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The best solution to speed up your PC - format hdd and install windows on a clean disk, for some months it will help (tested on all versions of windows)

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
i have quite a fast pc, 768 RAM and 2.8GHz...but when i put SETI to run all the time my CPU usage always goes on 100% for no reason and it is painfully slow
..............or maybe its because i always have 52 processes running,lol

so now im forced to keep it on as screensaver, has this happened to anyone else here, or is my SETI dodgy or something?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conqueror
so now im forced to keep it on as screensaver, has this happened to anyone else here, or is my SETI dodgy or something?

This sounds perfectly normal, Conqueror. At least, it's what I experienced in the past. Your system is constantly trying to work between the SETI client and whatever else you're doing - the number crunching that the SETI client is doing is normally gonna be the more demanding application. At the end of the day, these home PCs can only do so much. It's frustrating I know.

[edit - forgot...the 52 processes won't be helping either! try killing some off and see if it improves]

[Edited on 6-1-2004 by UniversalFiction]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
thanks UniversalFiction. ill try doing that process cutting thing, and then put my SETI to work all the time again, u see i want to do as many work units as possible so ill have a better chance at detecting an alien signal! sad but hey,

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin

I believe they're referring to the disk defragmenter. I am not knowledgeable when it comes to these machines, but mine can be found under Accessories, System Tools, then Disk Defragmenter.

Thanks for that Bangin! I'm gunna frag this baby up now.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
www.nwscc.com...

had to cut bact to 20 WUs at a time because I'm also using my server as a dial up radius server.

Defrag on Win2K3 is awesome. Better than XP!

you might try the command line version. It uses a little less resources than the screenaver one.

www.nwscc.com...

is the all in one download for the command line version from Seti.

Happy crunching!!

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by UniversalFiction

Another tip - if you're using Windows XP, I'd recommend getting ahold of TweakXP or TweakXP Pro - it's an excellent application for cleaning up your system

Hi UF!!

Yes, I *didn't* mention this but I actually got a "free" copy of TweakXP Pro from PCW mag (which I subscribe to) a few months ago - as you say, a very useful package. Good for cleaning the cache and cookies too!!

Lot's of interesting debate in here, IMHO - perhaps we ought to start a new thread on BTS - on favourite/ can't live without software?

posted on Jan, 9 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   

So, for example, my computers are on all the time and run SETI@home continuously - at around 99% according to Task Manager - BUT release the CPU when, say, I'm games-playing!!

I've played some games that put a lot of strain on the hardware (Half-Life 2 beta, Doom 3 alpha... Don't ask where I got them, though
) and the hit, if any, has always been minimal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join