It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Foreign Islamic Militants Killed in Fighting With Somali Officials After U.S. Strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   

8 Foreign Islamic Militants Killed in Fighting With Somali Officials After U.S. Strike

www.foxnews.com

MOGADISHU, Somalia — Eight foreign Islamic militants were killed during fighting with Somali government forces at a remote, mountainous northeastern Somali village, the vice president of the region said Saturday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-6-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Gen. Wes Clark warned us that Somolia was on the hit list, as is Syria and Iran.

The USA has butchered over 6,600,000 Million People through war since the end of the WW2... 6.6 million and counting...

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
They've been using Predators to hit a few pop up targets in Somalia for a few months already. It's not a major ongoing operation, as they get intel on meetings, they fly a Predator into the area, and pop the meeting site with a Hellfire.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006

The USA has butchered over 6,600,000 Million People through war since the end of the WW2... 6.6 million and counting...

Care to actually present at least one "reliable" link to corroborate your claim?...

Wow, attacking a "terrorists' camp is bad huh?... Wonder how you feel about the same terrorists bombing U.S. civilians, Iraqi civilians and the u.S. military, alongside some other western nations they have been attacking, or trying to attack....

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   
As I am told from a source recently returned from that region, this naval support has been in the works for a while now. The Ethiopian army is apparently doing good things with air and sea support from the U.S. I have an unconfirmed report that Army Rangers are working with Ethiopian formations.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I really wish we could go back to the days when news submissions were vetted by staff.

It's not a "first strike", it's not the "persian gulf", and it's not "somolia"...

What was the point in submitting this?

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Not to mention that they were not in a "training exercise". The US and other partner nations have basically a permanent strike force stationed in the Northern Indian ocean. The purpose of it is to keep ocean lines in that region open from international terrorists and to attack other targets of opportunity in the region (ie. Somalia). As Zaphod said, if we get Intel and have an opportunity to attack we might send a DDG over to take care of it.

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
The Ethiopians have been getting military assistance from the United States for a while now. In some respects, I am a little surprised to see that they've done so well in Somalia. Don't get me wrong, I am GLAD to see it. I'll bet they are racking up valuable experience. Whaddya wanna bet the Islamists would rather surrender to Americans than be taken by the Ethiopians? My source has been making noises to that effect.

[edit on 2-6-2007 by Justin Oldham]

posted on Jun, 2 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Where2Hide2006

Could you cite a source, or a reference for this?

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Hey, let's play nice.

The Weekly Standard reports "The lead actor in this case has been Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa, or CJTF-HOA. Headquartered at Camp Lemonier in Djibouti--a sweltering speck of a country wedged at the intersection of Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia, and the Gulf of Aden--the U.S. military presence does not look like much: a rough and tumble collection of air-conditioned tents, prefab trailers, and plywood shacks, perched between the scruffy Djiboutian capital and a volcanic desert. A French colony until 1977, Djibouti remains home to Paris's largest overseas military contingent. Foreign Legionnaires jog on the perimeter of the U.S. compound, while Mirage fighter jets fly overhead. (U.S. troops note their neighbors have a special fondness for buzzing low over Camp Lemonier early on Sunday mornings.)"

[edit on 3-6-2007 by Justin Oldham]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The only risk is that Ethiopia could turn against the US in future much like Saddam's Iraq did. Otherwise the Bush admin seems to have the right win over local populations and give aid to allies that should be a pretty good recipe in anyone's book considering the min resources involved.

This is an genuine success so why isnt the Bush admin doing more to inform people of the success in Africa ?

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
This is an genuine success so why isnt the Bush admin doing more to inform people of the success in Africa ?

Once again, I find myself wondering the same thing. The Islamists are having a very bad day, indeed. The Ethiopians are cleaning up in their own back yard. American force committments are small, to the point ofbeing insignificant. Shucks, man. Even the Somalis are glad to be getting some help from somebody.

And yet, it does go unreported and the administration doesn't seem to care that one of its better initiatives is working. Must be that secret committee that tries so hard to find the wrong way to do stuff. Poor fellas must be swamped.

posted on Jun, 4 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Africa Bush redemption .
Unless there is a major change of course in events or the Bush admin somehow blunders again Bush will be remembered much more fondly in Africa then the rest of the world. Increased trade and funding for the fight against Aids and putting Islamic whack jobs on the back foot should be enough to redeem Bush reputation in the future.

The lack of intervention in Sudan would count against Bush but its not like anyone else is stepping forward with a plan of action and troops.

How a bunch of political leaders could falter so badly in the middle East but have so much success in Africa is a mystery to me.

new topics

top topics

join