It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Earth might have had TWO moons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Why not?

Other planets in our solar system have more than 1 moon.

And yet, even though mankinds' recorded history reveals us to have only one moon, what are the chances that we had more than one?

I'm willing to bet, before recorded time, that there we had 2 moons!

Scientists have discovered a rogue 'moon' that might have once belonged to earths' orbit:Strange Celestial Body

I also found this: Nasa Scientists Open Up

I'm not sure if the video has been debunked; I included it with the post as it corrulates to possible evidence of our having 2 moons - before recorded history.

We know how the moon affects the tides on earth, what would be the outcome if we had two moons?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   
TheDuckster you might want to look at my theory of the moon's origin:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The two moons of Mars are not spherical globes and appear to be some form of captured asteroids. For that reason I don't agree that moons are natural for non gaseous planets. Mercury and Venus have no moons.

Multiple moons appear to be more typical of gaseous planets like Jupiter and Saturn. I have my own separate theory about this that because Jupiter emits more heat than it receives that it may in fact be a proto star in it's birth (or even an extinguished star perhaps?). The moons of Jupiter may have been ejected from Jupiter over the eons.

Alternately, I speculate that the moons of the gaseous giants could have been captured from massive TNOs (Trans Neptune Objects).

My theory about the moon is that it is the molten core of a planet in what is now called the asteroid belt (aka Phaeton) after a collision with an interplanetary wanderer (or even a massive TNO) about 4.7 billion years ago.. My theory is that the molten core of Phaeton was struck a mortal blow which shattered off the lithosphere to form the asteroids. the blow also decelerated the molten core which was captured by the Earth.

This would explain why rare earth metals which are rare on earth are common on asteroids (for example the dinosaur KT-layer killer) and on the moon.

Our Moon has extremely different geochemistry from the earth and there is nothing natural at all in the relationship of our moon with our planet.

Capture of a foreign object seems the more likely explanation.

[edit on 1-6-2007 by sy.gunson]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
sy.gunsun,

I was just wondering if you had the chance to view the youtube video re: Nasa Scientists open up?

What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:04 PM
link   
One Earth, one Moon.

Unless you consider some tiny rogue rock that takes up an orbit around our world there is no way anyone could say the Earth has more than one moon.
You can't call a piece of debris a moon.

There's just no way to hide an additional moon from the populous.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
One Earth, one Moon.

Unless you consider some tiny rogue rock that takes up an orbit around our world there is no way anyone could say the Earth has more than one moon.
You can't call a piece of debris a moon.

There's just no way to hide an additional moon from the populous.

I personally always thought that as well

Anxiety, you know as well as I, that crap can be hidden from us in the most obscure ways.

The 'crap' I speak of is 'what the media/government' wishes to have portrayed to us.

Anxiety, there is a lot of disinformation out there. Is it possible that we sheeple have been detered by simple social and acceptable means to accept what has been portrayed before our eyes to being "truth"?

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
sy.gunsun,

I was just wondering if you had the chance to view the youtube video re: Nasa Scientists open up?

What are your thoughts on this?

Sorry but this video origins are from Billy Meiers and had nothing to do with Nasa.

Original video by Randolph Winters..

Video

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Oh TheDuckster, I hope we're beyond this.

Originally posted by TheDuckster

Anxiety, you know as well as I, that crap can be hidden from us in the most obscure ways.

Is it possible that we sheeple have been detered by simple social and acceptable means to accept what has been portrayed before our eyes to being "truth"?

Sure the truth about certain things are being hidden from us, and I don't count myself in the herd that most would think of as "sheeple".

With so many civilians having control of most of the telescopes on Earth, and with all the backyard astronomers around the world, there is no way a government organization could hide the truth of a second moon from the people.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I've read somewhere that the moon is big enough that you could almost call Earth-Moon a Binary Planet group.

Pluto and it's moon Charon could also be considered binary planets (if indeed Pluto was still a planet
)

If the Moon is made of similar material to the Earths crust, as appears to be the case, then some cataclysmic event early in the Earth's history, when it was still molten, may have ripped material away to form the Moon.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I had a look at the youtube video "NASA scientists open up?"

Who says mars had 40 million inhabitants or that there was a cataclysm 186,000 years ago ?

Aliens?

The so called photo of the Earth from the moon with anther moon interposed is just a B grade photoshop of "Earthrise" photos taken by Apollo 8.

There are people out there who are seriously mentally disturbed, who either for money or attention have no shame in saying anything.

Remember the Roswell operating room video ?

That had a coiled telephone cord visible which was not in existence in 1947. You have to practice more skepticism about these extraordinary types of claims. There is no proof of Earth ever having two moons. You can't prove it by providing claims from aliens because aliens are not proven either so you are resting one assumption on another.

Anxietydisorder said:
If the Moon is made of similar material to the Earths crust, as appears to be the case, then some cataclysmic event early in the Earth's history, when it was still molten, may have ripped material away to form the Moon.

Not only civilians but whole other superpowers like Russia and China would disclose anything that obvious.

Emjoy said:

Emjoy that is not correct. the Moon and Earth are vastly different in their geochemistry and we know this from rocks which were returned by Apollo missions.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Cool. I'm not trying to be combative.
It was an interesting topic, and I've been googling about learning, so don't assume I have some deep knowledge on the Moons Origin.

The Glancing Blow theory seems to be the most widely accepted nowdays.
A third planet zooming past the still molten earth and ripping out enough matter to make the Moon.

The "Two Blobs" theory seems to have problems.... when you do the maths, getting two planetary blobs the right size and orbiting at the speed they do doesn't seem to work, apparently. And the Capture theory needs the Moon to come along at exactly the right speed and position... so the odds are small on that too.

The stuff I am reading suggests similarities and also differences in the Moon and Earth's mineral structure. The Moon is big, but of a low mass... not much of an Iron core.

And it's clear that there is no obvious theory about the origin. No theory quite works perfectly yet.

www.britannica.com...

As I said, I aint no expert. Just trying to inject what facts I find into the conversation.

[edit on 3-6-2007 by emjoi]

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Gee emjoy... Debate is about combat. that's why they call this a forum. LOL.

I am not angry with you. Sorry if my passionate conviction intimidates.

Theories only survive as long as they fit all the facts. the one about the moon being ripped from the Earth for whatever reason, no longer fit the known facts.

It is a wonder people still cite that theory because it is virtually meaningless now.

The two blobs theory (accretion ?) is flawed for the same reason as the first.

And it's clear that there is no obvious theory about the origin. No theory quite works perfectly yet.

Ahem ... Have you read mine yet ?

It may seem fantastic, but nothing is more amazing and fantastic than the idea we are all alone spinning on this little chunk of rock. Every day we get new insights about the universe which seem incredible and improbable.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Well, your theory is the Capture theory. A body zooming along for whatever reason, and getting captured by the Earth's Gravity.
Fair enough. It's already one of the theories that's out there.

The two moons thing... hey why not? It sounds like in the earlier days of the Solar system a good deal more space debris was flying about. Either getting captured by the Earth or smashing into it. Who knows what was orbiting Earth in the earliest ages.

The affect on tides? If it was just a small Phobos sized rock, probably not much effect at all. With both the Earth and a big Moon there, the poor little rocks orbit would be quite messed up by the two competing forces upon it.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well why not... is because you don't just create a theory and then try to build facts around it.

You have to start with some evidence, or genuine cause to believe that it could have been so. If there is, then fine. Show us and we can have a discussion about it, but there not even a reason to suspect two moons so far.

posted on Jun, 3 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The collision theory still works and is still the best explanation, Imo.

You site that moon rocks dont match those on earth, well its been 4+ billion years and look at all the impact craters, those moon rocks could have come from another galaxy given that amount of time.

The only way to disprove the collision theory is to drill a deep crust mineral sample and then compare that to earth's mantle.

2 moons? I don't know, the earth isn't too big it would have had to be a very small moon, and where did it go?

Other space ideas... the asteroid belt used to be a planet, agreed.

Gassius Giants...i think they have so many moons because they ejected their crust into its orbit, when their core went "micro super nova"
and i don't think Jupiter will ever become a proton star, it think its next step is to burn out and go dead...in several billion years.

Our sun might be a binary system... because wheres all the gravity coming at the other end of the solar system outside the kuiper belt? and why dont we know what out there but we can see an earth sized planet in another galaxy???

top topics

join