It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Korean schools to get "Robocop"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 08:16 AM
link   
"You have ten seconds to comply", (or your in detention).

From blog.wired.com:
A school in Seoul, Korea, is set to get its own Robocop on campus. The OFRO is a tracked robot equipped with a camera and microphone and can be remotely monitored.

The speedy 5mph robot comes in at around $100,000, and DU Robo plans to roll these out across Korean schools if the trial is successful.

Full Wired article here

"Hey, teacher....LEAVE THEM KIDS ALONE"

$100,000 buys a lot of books! Where will it end. Is this really necessary?

See the video here at www.robowatch.de

From The korean News:
`One possible scenario is that OFRO will alert officials when it detects someone trying to seduce a student. Then, teachers will send a warning to the perpetrator through a loudspeaker,'' Kang said.

"Oi, stop that!"

Korea Times article

Well it all seems like another way of getting the global masses used to being watched by big brother. "Start 'em young".

Next, they'll be in colleges, universities, shopping centres etc, etc!

Judgement day in the making.

[edit on 1/6/2007 by nerbot]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Yeah really this seems a little much to me. A $100,000 robot to see if students are being seduced? How about some security cameras instead.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The Korean culture isn't like Western culture, and this kind of device is actually something that they're socially comfortable with. Speaker and camera setups to monitor every area they're interested in may not be feasible and may be far more expensive than the robot. If you think you see something suspicious on a camera, you may not be able to move the camera angle to cover the area. With a robot, you simply drive up to it.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
good

excellent

It is much better than school gunning in western world, virginia tech stupid killing by stupid jews who set up stupid shooting

and no worries, Korean rules nothing, but stupid people rules many things. As Always stupid people try to rule as many thing as possible as americans do.

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CinLung-Part-1
It is much better than school gunning in western world, virginia tech stupid killing by stupid jews who set up stupid shooting

The Virginia Tech massacre perpetrated by Seung-Hui Cho had nothing to with Judaism,
he was simply an individual that had psychological problems that were only worsened by
some of the more negative aspects of culture.

Normally I would'nt say this, but that was incredibly anti-Semitic.

Now, as for the robot, well I have to say, it does seem like a waste of money,
not because it's a robot, or because of what it is meant to do, but it looks pretty fragile,
is slow and honestly looks like it only costs a few five-thousand.

It is pretty cool that robots are slowly making there way into society though,
even if it starts in the East first, which really does'nt surprise me.

[edit on 6/1/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I'm Kinda siding with Nerbot on this. This feels like "Big Brother" or even the beginning stages of "Terminator". Damn ,any chance of Arnold becoming President?
SCARY!

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

from CinLung-part-1
good

excellent

and no worries, Korean rules nothing, but stupid people rules many things. As Always stupid people try to rule as many thing as possible as americans do.

10 out of 10 for effort, no offence intended.

Things aren't always what they seem. There has been no definative conclusion to the events at virginia tech.

And "iori_komei"...you are right about the "anti-semitic" thing, but taking into account the posters obvious non english speaking nationality, sometimes things are not easy to put sensitively or as one would wish.

The robot in question does look pretty flimsy. One brick and bang goes $100,000!

This is surely just an "exercise" to see how it performs. I couldn't imagine Korea, or any other country placing orders for dozens of these "number five is alive" robots.

Heck, I'll build them for less and supply them!

[edit on 1/6/2007 by nerbot]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
thats alot better than a corrupt school cop like we have.....plus you can just knock this one over and put an ass whooping on whoever you want......does korea even have gang problems??

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by justanothergangster
thats alot better than a corrupt school cop like we have.....plus you can just knock this one over and put an ass whooping on whoever you want......does korea even have gang problems??

South Korea, like most of East Asia has notorious gang activity, the Yakuza in Japan,
the Triad out of China and Taiwan, and gangs in general in South Korea.

Though there is a difference between gangs in Asia and gangs in North America.

top topics

join