It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 In 4 Health Supplements Is Bad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Link

This is one of the reasons I stopped buying food supplements about 8 yrs ago.
And to be honest there is no difference in Muscle growth from what I have experienced.

I guess is mostly the way you train, and Eat properly.

That means a $22 billion industry is free to seek cheap, even contaminated, ingredients, and label products — for the most part — as they see fit. Clearly, a heavy dose of buyer beware is the best prescription.

Ah Never underestimate the power of greed

In February 1997, the FDA proposed mandatory rules outlining "good manufacturing practices" for the safe production of dietary supplements. But more than 10 years later, those rules still haven't been finalized.

In public comments, supplement makers argued that the proposals would cost the industry about $245 million a year, more than 10 times the FDA estimate. FDA spokeswoman Kimberly Rawlings would say only that the guidelines would be issued very soon.

And what is the worst part: I have seen parents feed this to kids without doing proper research on the product.

FDA inspections have found supplement manufacturing plants with pest infestations, defective equipment and pipes that leak liquid onto products.

[edit on 6/1/2007 by a1ex]

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Thanks for the link!

I do know that manufacturing standards are inconsistant in these kinds of supplements. Some that are not made in the US can be quite dangerous -- there's some ayurvedic products from India that are actually rather toxic.

www.nelm.nhs.uk...

www.nutraingredients-usa.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   
quality control is not just a problem of dietary supplements, it's the same with pretty much any product. random testing can't be that hard, can it?

besides, how many cases of actual poisonings by correctly dosed supplements have been reported, say compared to cases of food poisoning ? or side effects of forged pharmaceuticals? perspective works wonders, doesnt it?

new topics

join